CurvedSpace Forums: CurvedSpace Forums -> Tanny's Blog

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox

MoldyRaven Icon : (07 November 2017 - 10:03 AM) Back again after 14 years! Good to see this still up.
X Zolon Icon : (22 October 2017 - 04:54 PM) Polo.
MA-53 Icon : (13 October 2017 - 09:42 PM) Marco
ticktockclok Icon : (08 October 2017 - 11:26 PM) Just thought of this place, and figured I would try to log in. I last posted 10 years ago. Hello to anyone out there - especially those from way back!
Res Icon : (06 October 2017 - 03:11 AM) As well as things can be, good to hear from you all :D!!! Much love all around.
X Zolon Icon : (05 October 2017 - 05:02 AM) Strange. I was thinking about it around the same time. Just didn't come back until now. Hope everyone is well.
Glammeress Icon : (16 July 2017 - 12:48 AM) Just thinking about this place, like out of nowhere. Hope everyone is well.
Rylkan Icon : (09 July 2017 - 04:07 PM) Not bad. Just finishing up grad school. Which means I am looking for distractions from writing. :p
Phieta Icon : (09 July 2017 - 05:06 AM) Still flying, so to speak. How goes with you?
Rylkan Icon : (09 July 2017 - 02:42 AM) I am even more amazed someone replied to this in less than a few month timescale. Hi! How goes?
Phieta Icon : (08 July 2017 - 09:43 PM) He does log into GW every month or so to retain leadership, so that's something
Phieta Icon : (08 July 2017 - 09:42 PM) There are several of us! Several!
Rylkan Icon : (08 July 2017 - 06:33 PM) I was actually hoping to get in touch with Cspace since its been forever. But it looks like our old leader is lost to the void.
Rylkan Icon : (08 July 2017 - 06:29 PM) In a moment of pure nostalgia, I remembered this site. Seeing any shouts from this year is insane.
asyluman Icon : (17 January 2017 - 02:45 AM) i only JUST started playing FFVIII
asyluman Icon : (17 January 2017 - 02:45 AM) woah are people still here
Phieta Icon : (13 January 2017 - 09:05 AM) Apparently I joined SeeD 14 years ago today.
Dragonman Icon : (10 September 2016 - 02:29 AM) Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven
x.. Icon : (13 July 2016 - 01:14 AM) idk. both of those are complicated questions.
Phieta Icon : (11 July 2016 - 07:55 AM) Who are you, and what have you done with Fluttershy?
Resize Shouts Area

• (3 Pages)
  • +

In the Pretend World

Posted by JGJTan  Icon, 17 October 2007 - 09:54 AM

Getting lost in your imagination is possibly the most fun and terrifying thing ever. It's so great to imagine so many things which could happen, yet then your mind can wander once you think of a bad thing and then it's all downhill from there. But it's a nice feeling, to be able to create your own outcomes from your actions and to not care. I like it. :P

So I think I'm starting to get lazy with blogging which is quite alarming. It's turning into once every second day, rather than everyday if possible.

Gosh. There are so many things I want to write but I know I can't and I'm not too sure how many times I've said it, but I know I'll keep saying it regardless. It's true though. I had a nice day and I'm pretty sure that's why. Gah. I want to talk about it so bad but I can't! It's just irritating! Someone mentioned it the other day and I felt like talking about it but I knew I couldn't because that would be silly and weird. But it's nice. It's nice. :P

Wow. I actually did not worry this morning about the Maths exam when everyone was fretting. I think it's because I knew I wouldn't get a good mark, let alone be assured I'd pass, so I was like "there's no point in stressing over something which I can't prevent" so I just went with the flow, and honestly, it was probably one of the best feelings I've ever had in a while. It ain't the thing I want to talk about of course, that would be silly. But it was great. Although I feel bad for some people who just worried so much. I didn't worry though, I just glanced over some things I wasn't sure about and then didn't care and it was good as. Came out knowing I did shockingly but it's all good, if I don't pass I don't pass. :D

And today was surprisingly relaxing. It was actually pleasant. Physics was probably the only real boring thing. Hardaker made us work in silence but it was okay, I just looked over my Spanish speech. Music I had a nice veg-out time in as I lay in the corner listening to my iPod and dozed off for a bit. I slept in Classics because we were watching that boring video on the Colosseum again and then English was surprisingly not bad, we talked about Katherine Mansfield for the period. Well, Katherine Mansfield's pretty boring but the lesson wasn't boring so it was real good. :)

One of the nice things happened during English anyway so that made me real happy. I guess also interval and lunchtimes are real nice as well because of the little things I seem to enjoy, like greetings with people or just having a nice laugh. I dunno, it's good to be happy I guess. I haven't been this happy for quite some time. Oh, the other nice thing happened after the Maths exam while I was walking to Physics. It was pleasant. I liked it. And yes, I'm just being annoying by speaking in a tone of voice like a character from Katherine Mansfield's stories. Oh, and The Bothersome Man, that's just plain awesome. :P

Man, being happy is awesome. I really REALLY haven't felt this good for quite some time. I can SO imagine I'll have like a major low in a day or two or something, it always happens. But I'll enjoy this for as long as possible, seriously. Oh crap. Damn. I just realized it's a Thursday tomorrow, which is like the worst day ever. Like half my mates bugger off to Future Problem Solving during lunch which irks me off since some of my happiness comes from there. And there's no English on Thursdays which makes it even more annoying. But at least next year I'll have History... UGH. I am such a mess. And desperate. But it's awesome. :P

Ahh I'm feeling so great. :)

~ Jonny

Connor: What do you think Jonny's weapon of choice would be if he had to kill someone?
Daniel: I reckon he looks like a knife person.
Me: Nah, knives are way too close and it's disgusting.
Ross: Pepper spray. It suits him. It's abstract, small, simple, and definitely would not kill someone.

Filed in Exams, Life, School, Secrets, Spring 2007

Attention

Posted by JGJTan  Icon, 13 October 2007 - 10:40 AM

Ayrton is possibly the best thing to have ever been created. And by Ayrton, I mean the band, not the thing/it/pokemon. So check out Ayrton at http://www.bebo.com/ayrtonhbhs - there's even a video of one of our (crap as) songs we played at the St. Alban's College Rockfest. We sound way better than what the video might suggest, although Bill did make a crapload of mistakes... in the introduction. :P

And yes, I'm a terrible advertiser for Bebo. That's all I seem to be doing as of late which is quite scary. I've been on Bebo several times this week which is actually scary since I usually only go on once or twice every three weeks. Oh well, I guess I could break the trend every now and then. :P

It's scary but I've also had terrible blogging spells. Usually I'd try to blog once a night but I seem to keep forgetting about it and it's frustrating. So I'll start from where I last was.

Yesterday was sooo bad. I woke up at 4.20am (surprise surprise!) and couldn't stop coughing and it was quite annoying. So I just continued reading Night Watch (so awesome) and waited for mum to wake up at like 6.30am. I felt like crap but decided I'd go to school anyway since I really needed to go because it'd be my last Maths lesson before the Maths exam (Stowers decided to give us another mock exam on Monday to prepare us and see how we'd do... he told me to worry which was funny) but I wasn't too sure if I'd last the whole day. And sure enough, during English which was first period I felt like dying because I couldn't stop coughing for the first bit of it. Thankfully it stopped but then it started up again and at one point I coughed up this nasty yellow-green goober and Sam just looked at me and said "... nice." :P

Spanish wasn't any better, my headache started coming back (despite having taken 2 panadols at like 8am - Spanish starts at 10am on Fridays) and I couldn't concentrate and felt so knackered. I was pretty much out of it for most of the period and after that (after socializing during interval of course) I just called it quits and went to the sick bay to sign out then went home. I wouldn't have lasted another class which just so happened to be Maths. I'm pretty annoyed I couldn't endure it enough to go to Maths but then again I hate feeling like crap during school. And I wouldn't have missed much anyway, maybe just the odd comment from Stowers every now and then. :P

But GRR. Everything seems to happen at the worst of times! Callum wanted to go see Eagle vs. Shark afterschool but I couldn't since I was too sick and went home early, and then Carl invited me to some rounds at Netcafix with him and Peter and that made me feel even more miserable, since I owe Carl and Peter some Netcafix hours. I'd have played with them over the holidays but I was in darn Argentina so I couldn't which was irritating. :sure:

I had my first day back at work today!! It wasn't that exciting, to be honest, I'm over work. The time went by SO slowly it was insane. It's because for some reason there were like hardly any customers at all between 4-6pm which was insane. As soon as I got to work, once Nikki and Naomi saw me they were like "JONNY!!!" and ran out to hug me which was quite embarrassing and Cheryl was trying not to laugh, as were some customers and other operators. And we got heaps of new people which is nice, but kinda scary. I'm sure one of the new girls thinks I'm a gumby since I was trying to explain something but ended up saying the opposite then correcting myself then contradicting my correction somehow, then ended up asking Ashleigh to help me out. Oh and then I walked into a checkout. Yeah. I have a bad habit of walking into things right now. :eek:

According to Sarah, checkouts started to crumble and eventually caved in while I was away. She was pretty glad to see me back and was like "things'll actually get done now" since apparently she's had to get up other supervisors' backs about their work and stuff since everything's gone slack and/or not done properly. And now our assistant manager for checkouts has just resigned so we'll have no assistant manager for over the Christmas holidays period unless we managed to find and hire someone and train them in like a week or two which is impossible. We had enough trouble filling the position in the first place and now that we have to do it again, it's insane. *sigh* No leisure time over the holidays I guess, I won't be surprised if I happen to be doing plenty of day/night sup shifts. :sure:

That reminds me, I managed to finish Night Watch this morning before going to music classes. It's really good, different from the movie of course. Heaps of new things and a lot of the stories vaguely link in with the movie. I'd say some but that'd be spoiling and spoilers are bad. :P

Speaking of watches, mum went to get all our watches fixed today. I had two watches which needed fixing but she only got one fixed, since the watchmender examined my other one and said it was fine since apparently the hand moved in the store, but the watch hasn't been working for more than a year now, close to two. And it was my favourite too. Oh well. The one she did get fixed... has a new strap. The strap has rings in it. Like, metal circles with nothing in the centre so you can see through them. It's weird and reminds me of those wristbands with the studs in them, and it feels odd and sometimes hurts. I'll wear it despite all that, since it'll fit my emo outfit. OMG. I'm gonna wear my whole emo set on Friday since I think we've got a mufti day then (according to the school diary) but don't quote me, I don't want another repeat of the Ethan Duff episode. Seriously. :X

~ Jonny

Conor: Ayrton, use Enjoyment Face! No! Stop it, you're using Scary Face!
Mark: His Enjoyment Face is pretty much scary.

Filed in Books, Life, School, Sick, Spring 2007, Work

Welcome Home

Posted by JGJTan  Icon, 09 October 2007 - 02:55 AM

Gosh, it feels weird to be home. My nipples feel deprived as there's no Matty Cameron around to constantly grab them. Haha, jokes! Well, sort of. He does have a darn good nipple radar installed in his brain, it's pretty scary. :P

So it's great to be back in New Zealand again! I really don't know where to begin or what to say really. I had an awesome time but it's damn good to be back. It was super awesome and everyone was happy and excited at the start but towards the end, everyone was pretty much getting crabby at everyone (sorry Callum!!) and itching to see and hang out with other people. Really, you could see people who were the best of mates at the start of the tour end up hanging out with other people and hating each other yet still being good friends. I definitely had rages at others throughout the tour, none were very pretty. Some were even at Mr. Steel and Mr. Matthews, directly to their faces. :eek:

I took some pretty mean photos! Once I organize them, I'll upload them and post them somewhere. I won't post some photos of people just to be nice to them (even though they have no idea my blog exists) but I might if the photo is majorly awesome enough. Apart from Adrian. I ain't too sure if he still reads my blog and if he does... STALKER. ADRIAN, YOU'RE A STALKER!

We encountered so many funny things on the trip though. Even without leaving New Zealand, Callum found a vending machine selling "Nobby's" with the ever-so-stunning catchphrase "Nibble Nobby's Nuts!" which definitely earns hilarity points. Other interesting things such as a giant billboard with the word FAP on it and an ice-cream called Touch Me. We also managed to pass a police station which was a tiny little excuse of a building and Hernan, the best tour guide in the world. He says the most funniest things, one of which was a comment about the driving skills/tactics of Argentineans. "Does anyone feel like playing a game of Tetris?" :D

Speaking of terrible driving, holy crap. I now have respect for my mother's driving skills. People in Argentina are TERRIBLE. The taxi I was in one time didn't stop for red lights and kept on going and when he slowed down to brake (which was rare), he would put on his hazard lights and forgot to turn them off half the time. My host mum wasn't any better, she nearly drove on the wrong side of the road at one point and her method of braking involved changing gear to neutral (most cars in Argentina are manual, I never saw an automatic but apparently there are some but they're way too expensive) without slowing down and slamming on the brake at the last minute. And she completely ignored red lights and stop signs, even if cars were coming. :eek4:

Oh and DULCE FREAKING DE LECHE. My god. That stuff tastes really nice at first but after a while, it's so damn rich and sweet it's disgusting. I wouldn't mind eating it every now and then but seriously, it's EVERYWHERE in Argentina. You cannot avoid it. It's basically what the name is: sugar and milk. But it's like caramel and stuff. Nice but deadly. Nearly everyone was sick of it after the first week, if not the first few days. :P

Although it kinda sucked, because I went to Argentina with a cold and then lost it after a few days, but then gained another one the night before going to Mar del Plata and I'm pretty sick now. I bet I caught it from Matty, I knew I shouldn't have been with him the night before. I mean, whoops, you weren't meant to know that. Haha jokes! Although Matt's pretty dodgey sometimes, like REALLY dodgey and it's gross.

I made a heap of new friends from the class below us though. Like Sean and Cory and Hayden (already knew him before the trip though) and Edward and Matty and Patrick and pretty much everyone. Apart from Nathan, I tried to avoid him like the plague. Not soccer Nathan, creepy Nathan. He creeps me out. He looks like freaking Freddy Kruger and he has the evil stare to go with i. Seriously, there must be something wrong with him. Conversations with him make one shudder or just make one want to hit him or glare and his awful leather jacket and hat don't suit him at all. And that day while he wore his raincoat... my god, his stare could have made little children cry and be scarred for life. Oh and he has disgusting night habits. His room smells, enough said.

But the main lessons I've learned over the duration of the trip are these:

1) Argentineans will put anything on billboards, everywhere. From smokes to ham, they'll advertise it by streets, abandoned buildings, pamphlets and along the river bank. Oh and the kerb on the roadside.
2) Clutch your nipples in fear when Matty's around. Even if he's a few metres away, he's fast and can grab your nipple and get it 100% bang on in a flash.
3) Never go anywhere with only Mr. Matthews, there's a very high chance you'll get lost and/or get annoyed at his organization skills.
4) You cannot hide from Dulce de Leche. It's everywhere. If you try to avoid it, you'll end up eating without realizing until after having taken a bite.
5) Toilets suck in Argentina. There's a high risk you'll clog a toilet if you take a dump and you're from New Zealand. Seriously, on the 11th day me and a group of mates worked out we'd clogged about 14 toilets at that point in the trip.

So yeah, Argentina was great and I'll post pictures later on when I upload them. They'll most be just ones I think look really cool so yeah!! :P

~ Jonny

Hernan: Here you can see Argentinean drivers to the right. Does anyone feel like playing a game of Tetris? Driving here is a lot like that.
Mark: But Tetris has rules!

Filed in Life, Friends, Argentina, Post-Travel, Spring 2007

Slow Down

Posted by JGJTan  Icon, 14 September 2007 - 10:24 AM

Woo a new lot of song titles to use. :P

Yeah, as my mum describes it, pretty much I had a "veg out" day where I did nothing but sit in front of the computer. I was SO bored today, I actually did all the housework early in the morning rather than late at night. Although I didn't get around to cleaning the bathrooms until later on since I forgot and mum called me up to remind me. And dad was pretty amazed since I was up early and on the computer. But it's because I can never sleep in or do other things if I'm at home on a weekday because it just feels weird. So I basically veg'd out in front of the computer for the whole day because I have nothing else to do. -_-

But seriously, I'm SO freaking bored now. I need school to come back. Without school I turn into a vege who doesn't eat, hardly sleeps and just suffers from boredom and lack of will to do anything. Seriously. :eek:

My boredom hit a major low today though. I was SO bored I decided to get some new music. Yeah. That's how bored I was. So I decided to download some Motion City Soundtrack, The Academy Is..., Dashboard Confessional, and dare-I-say, Panic! At The Disco. Amazing. I actually bothered to get the album. And I really am turning into a vegetable because I stopped typing for about 10 seconds just staring at the highlighter sitting on my desk, thinking about what to write. This is what happens when I have nothing to do. :P

But I do believe I've achieved something today. I played Solitaire from like... I dunno, 2 or 3 hours ago. I had fun mixing up ways as to how to win, such as making stacks of only two suits or not turning cards over until I can't make any other moves. Yes, I did find it interesting. And then I moved onto trying to complete Solitaire with the three-draw rule (yes, I know, I suck at Solitaire) and about 15mins ago I actually managed to win a game. Go me. :)

Also when I veg out (basically the whole holidays), I barely eat. Seriously, I think the Christmas holidays of the year before, I just veg'd out in front of my computer for the whole day and I barely ate. I never have breakfast during the hols and I might have a late "lunch" at like 3pm or something if I can be bothered, and then I'll have some dinner and continue to be a vege. I always lose heaps of weight during the holidays and then I'll gain heaps of weight during the first or second week of school. It doesn't make sense, but it's true. :eek:

So today I had a nice breakfast of nothing, and then a delightful lunch of two-minute noodles. Dinner was basically rice and chicken and some soup. And I watched Rove during dinner and afterwards which was hilarious as always. He talked to Daniel Radcliffe. :eek4:

I'm running out of things to talk about. Seriously, I'm so stuck for ideas I decided to talk about food. That is so sad... and now I'm looking around my desk to give me inspiration. Such is the life of a lazy bum. Seriously, I'm getting NO ideas. My god, even my desk is boring. So I think I'll just end this entry and deem it a failure because of my boredom. :P

Oh yeah, Motion City Soundtrack is nice. I recommend it. :thumb:

~ Jonny

Rove: *doing the news report* They said that Pavarotti's funeral was in fact very cheap. They did it for a tenner.

Filed in Boredom, Gaming, Life, Spring 2007

This Fire

Posted by JGJTan  Icon, 11 September 2007 - 08:49 AM

Holy crap, sometimes I forget how much I love some songs or bands... I was just all happy while singing along to "The Walking Wounded" by Bayside, then all of a sudden "Tir Nan Og" by Alcest came on and I just got such a surge of happiness inside and it made me feel even more happy than I was while listening to Bayside. I love Alcest so much... I think I'm going to create an awesomeness playlist a-- OMG. And right after that... "11 Dreams" by Mercenary. *dies* I swear I'm in heaven at the moment... :D

Ahh I can't stop thinking about these songs now... I'm definitely going to create an even cooler playlist than I currently have up now. And I'm going to listen to it for ages and ages and never stop listening to it... and I'm getting all warm and fuzzy on the inside about it. :)

And I just had a funny conversation with Peter. He's "studying" which is quite not like him, or so I'd think anyway. But he'd study. Anyway, so we just were talking and then he mentioned how I'm going to Argentina shortly and I got all excited... but then I got annoyed because I'd miss the WoWathon in the holidays. Yeah... that's pretty sad. But it's addictive. :(

Fail song. "Ides of March" by Silverstein isn't as good as everything else. Oh wait, it's "Smile in Your Sleep", my bad. Actually, it's a good song, I take back my previous comment. All of Silverstein is good. :P

The Maths exam today was SHOCKING. I thought I was going to do pretty average since I could answer a number of questions, including some hard ones, but then I missed out a whole page on Calculus because it was just too much for me. I thought I got the rotation of a curve around a line to create a solid question right... but now that I think about it, I think I got the formula mixed up. Although it was a pretty good effort I must say, since I don't even have the notes on it and I only remember the formula from Sam mentioning it one time in class. :sweat:

Oh and I handed in two of my Music practice papers to get marked... I got ONE question wrong in the first one, achieving 95% all because me and the teachers were confused about one chord. I originally said Bb9sus4 or something but we were shakey on it since it was a weird chord, but then I changed it after the teachers started explaining some stuff... and it ended up being Bb9sus4. ARGH. And then the second paper I got 75% all because I mixed up one chord and that threw off four other questions. I hate bursary sometimes... :sure:

"Be My Escape" by Relient K is pretty good... but the list has been thrown off by "Fragile" by Lacuna Coil. I like the song but the introduction which kinda sounds Egyptian always makes me wince. I like the rest of the song though, it's really awesome. Actually, I like this song too. Just not the intro. :P

I'm SO tired though. I told mum Maths went bad and she got all worried, and now she wants me to study EVEN MORE for Physics because it's my weak subject, but I've already studied heaps for it. I can't exactly study 24/7, I'm not like that. :sweat:

Argentina is going to be SO AWESOME. Although Ashley just told me that Aerolineas or whatever we're traveling on doesn't have screens in the back of the seat... only one gigantic screen at the front for each part of the plane. Great. So now I might actually have to take my iPod along, although I'm worried I'll lose it or it'll get stolen or I'll drop it over a waterfall since I'm that clumsy. I might take my small 256mb mp3 player if I have to, although listening to the same songs over and over again could get really irritating. But we got our GBAs for Pokemon on the plane so it won't be too bad!! Actually, I'll probably just talk for most of the flight since I LOVE talking and planes and small places are best for talking. Although I'm claustrophobic and have trouble breathing while adjusting to different altitudes so I might be out of commission for the first 20-30mins. :P

And GRR. I'm so annoyed. I think I got home too late because I haven't seen Jake and I feel I need to talk to him! :sure:

Speaking of teddy bears, I haven't talked to Camille in a while. I think I'll text her tomorrow between my Spanish and Physics exams. :)

Gosh, there are so many things I want to say but I really can't say them!! *whinges* I've been whinging a lot more than usual which is fairly odd, I have no idea why to be honest. It's just really odd. Oh and I saw Tom during the Maths exam today!! Although I don't think he noticed me when I blurted out a "TOM!!" and walked past. :(

Oh. And I tried not to laugh when one of the answers I wrote for Maths was <3. Although afterwards I realized it was wrong and had to change it to <-3. :(

~ Jonny

*while playing WoW, I listen to other guild members talking*
Tams (leader): I'm so annoyed at Nick! It's our one month anniversary after getting married and he's celebrating it by PvPing. Without me!

Filed in Exams, Argentina, Life, Music, Spring 2007

I'm Not Okay (I Promise)

Posted by JGJTan  Icon, 09 September 2007 - 09:29 AM

Adrian, stop reading my blog!! It's embarrassing so stop it!! But shame, at least I've written so much it'll get tiring! :D

I've decided to record all my blog entry titles to a notepad list because I'm never too sure if I've used the title before or not. And holy hell I never realized the list was so long... I need to not blog as much, but that'll never happen. Actually it's kinda funny. When I look at the list of blog entry titles, I can tell when I've had a period of good days or weeks or terrible ones since I can remember plenty of the entries or just a vague summary. Like 4 bad entries in a row then a whole bunch of good, then one or two bad then a few good, then a whole major lot of bad. :P

Anyway, I'm hard out studying now. I ended up getting distracted this morning... and maybe afternoon, since I got up at 7.30am. I've got a nasty habit of waking up at that time or earlier on weekends and I can never get back to sleep, so I just hopping on my computer and decided to have a little bit of fun and play some World of Warcraft, since I thought I'd be on early and Jake'd be on. So I hopped on MSN and WoW... darn it, he was away. For two hours! Watching television!! Haha it's all good, I had fun questing around in Duskwood and picking up heaps of silk for tailoring and loads of enchanting materials. :)

I was planning to study hard out for Classics but I guess I got distracted once he came back since he decided to help me with random things and I didn't hop off WoW (I had a shower and breakfast and the usual mind you!!) until just before 4pm... and didn't start studying until about 5pm. I can see why Carl and Mitch and Lillis and stuff didn't play 5 aside soccer so they could study instead, I was knackered and power napped yesterday and had to catch up with my WoW today so yeah. I managed to do some more of Mrs. Redpath's awesome style of taking notes and applied them to the Art and Architecture paper for Classics. I got distracted AGAIN after about half an hour and then had dinner... basically, I've only really done study on that. But Aristophanes won't be hard since we've done so much practice in class on it (thank you Mr. Hassall!!) so I'll be sweet for it. :)

I Managed to get study pages done for Philip the Arabian, the Bust of Commodus, the Pont du Gard, Trajan's Column, the Theatre at Leptis Magna and Hadrian's Baths, although I'm praying that Hadrian's Baths won't be in the paper along with the Temple of Bacchus. Basically, I've thought that I could study 6 of the 7 images Mr. Hassall told us to study, since we'll be given 3 images (one easy, two hard - usually that's the case) and we choose two of them. Hadrian's Baths and the Temple of Bacchus are the hardest in my opinion so I chose to study whichever looked the easiest and if both of them get chosen, then I'll choose the one I've studied. Neat plan, eh? :D

But CRAP. I am SCREWED for Alexander if the question doesn't revolve around aspects of his religious nature or a few of his military battles which I've studied. I dunno, for some reason I just find religion one of the most fascinating topics anyone can think of so as soon as I got the Alexander book back when he was handing them out, I just read and studied his religion hard out and nothing else. And I studied some battles for one of the tests he gave us about the battle of Issus (barely). Actually, come to think of it, aside from his religion I know NOTHING about Alexander. I'm really going to have to make up so much stuff in this test, so much that Mr. Hassall will probably be even more disappointed in me than he currently is. And he believes me to be one of his great students, or so he used to think before the tragedy of my Socrates essay. :sweat:

Thinking positively, yesterday was so much fun!! We had 5 aside soccer all day and our team (The Exec$) dressed up in suits and basically played our opponents in them. Although we didn't have a great turnout, since so many people dropped out of the team because of exams, so there was only me, David, Callum, Tahn, Sean and Craig. We won two games and lost two, and ended up losing out whatever the last game you call is, so we didn't make it to the finals, but we did a brilliant job if you think about the fact that we were playing in suits all day and we only had one substitute player. :D

It was kinda annoying, since after our four division games we were meant to have an hour break so me, Callum and Sean went off to Burger King for lunch. We managed to get back in half an hour and we sat down and started eating... and then all of a sudden we were told we had to play. Wtf? Everyone was confused and us three felt like crap since we'd just had food and immediately had to play soccer. Thankfully David and Craig didn't go anywhere so we had a team of 5, but Tahn had buggered off somewhere since we'd all thought we had an hour, but managed to get back just after we started. Needless to say we all played like crap and Morrinsville thrashed us. :P

But we looked damn good. Most of the people there even thought we looked pretty sharp, since heads kept turning when we'd walk by and we played well despite our handicap. Even the captain of the Morrinsville team yelled out "Yeah Boys' High!" when we were playing at one point. Oh and Mr. Leach brought his suit along as well, although it didn't make the cut because he only brought the coat and he didn't have a white dress shirt and a tie. But South came along to support us and he was dressed in his suit as well and it was awesome!! Something else amusing was that Adrian was watching us between his games (each game was like half an hour with a half hour break between matches) and every now and then he'd go "DREAM TEAM!!" and we'd reply with a "... shut up" as a piss-take since a lot of the Netcafix users always get annoyed whenever the Dream Team (regulars) always yell it out. :P

And omg, I recognized so many people there but the most embarrassing was the first team we played: Hillcrest. I knew I recognized two of their players from somewhere but I wasn't too sure... then I remembered: Bjorn's party. Crap crap crap... so I tried to hide but it was impossible then one of them (I'm pretty sure his name's Matt but this is going back to last year) was like "Hey... aren't you Jonny? Yeah, you were at Bjorn's party, the guy who steals everyone's alcohol!" and my god I turned SO red. But it was a good match and they're nice guys and would wave and say hi everytime they'd pass us with their couch (the two Hillcrest teams were alternating ownership of a couch between matches). :P

Oh and everyone will be disappointed to know that Nathan wasn't there. Yes, I know, it was a tragic event. :cry:

After soccer, I basically crashed. I was SO sunburnt on the cheeks and majorly tired so I had a shower after eating something and then lay on my bed. We ended up not having band practice thank god since Conor was in Raglan and Bill was apparently working. Tim came around to my place though to FINALLY pick up his bottle of bourbon from way back (see blog entry - Over the Hills and Far Away) and then I washed mum's car since dad was upgrading everything on my computer (he said he basically took everything out and gave me faster and better bits - I dunno the specs though, I forgot how to find them out) and once I did that I power napped until like nearly 8pm. Then I got no study done because I decided to play some WoW because I knew I was too tired to do a good job of studying. :P

Wow, my life is pretty tragic at the moment when it comes to exams. I'm really only going to pass two of the three Classics papers tomorrow. I don't even want to think of Maths the day after on Tuesday. :eek:

And just as a reminder to my self, today was the day something very personally significant happened. It was nice, as quoted from The Bothersome Man. :)

~ Jonny

Mr. Hassall: Now Jonathan, I hope you can answer this fascinating question I have. I was talking to my previous class, as I always do, about how well my students are going. I mentioned Matthew and how wonderful he is going with Alexander, Narayan of course I said was picking things up and going along very nicely. And then I mentioned how well you are going with your studies. And some students just laughed! *Matt, Narayan, Connor and Daniel try not to laugh at this* Can you please tell my why they might laugh? I hope you're not misleading me about how well your studies are going!
Me: Uhh of course not sir, don't listen to them, they're just being silly.

Filed in Exams, Gaming, Life, Soccer, Spring 2007

Beyond Redemption

Posted by JGJTan  Icon, 07 September 2007 - 11:25 AM

I just had the scariest, most embarrassing and flustering day of my life today. My English class now knows about my blog! :eek:

There's actually two parts to it, which is quite amusing if you look at it from an outside perspective, but freaking frustrating in my boots. I managed to get rid of the majorly bad blog entry but I'm too lazy to remove heaps of other bits from other entries since there's too many and it'll take ages. My pride can withstand that much embarrassment. :P

So I was studying in the Music department for the English exam and I texted Cal to go there if he got there before noon, since I was planning on running out and surprising Matthew and Carl since they were having their History exam upstairs. So he came in and offered me some of those really good chips from down the road... and then I couldn't concentrate on studying anymore. It was SO bad since I was going hard out and really good with my studying and then it all disappated since I just had a mind blank from the first chip. :sure:

We ended up just talking for a while, eating chips every now and then, and then I heard people coming down the stairs so I just ran out... and only Carl was there. GRR. It seems Lillis was sick or something so that kinda ruined my whole enthusiasm. But I saw Carl anyway. GRR. Carl. Don't have a grumpy face next time, it looks bad and you shouldn't worry so much. :P

Anyway, Carl joined me and Cal in the little recording studio area and we just talked and attempted study and stuff. Then Callum decided to go on the internet on one of the computers and started looking up the poems. First he went to check up on Ozymandias on Wikipedia... then he searched for the poem about a Small Fly (see how I avoid using the full name?! That's how paranoid I am now!) and he started to laugh... so me and Carl looked closely... the 6th link down just so happened to be titled "Tanny's Blog - There For You" and I just flipped. He then decided to do a more specific search and it was the 3rd link, then he just did the whole title and mine was first on the list. GREAT. So I just screamed and got all worried and made Carl and Callum to not click on the link because of how embarrassing it would be (I couldn't remember what that entry was about at the time). So we then went outside since I spotted David and Sean heading towards where we usually hang out and we walked towards them and just chatted about stuff. And I made sure that Callum and Carl would not breathe a word about the discovery, but then...

Seung Kwon came along. And he just looked at me and said "Do you know what? I was studying on poetry last night so I went to Google search about the Small Fly and it just came up with this random as link to something by Tanny." By that time, as soon as he mentioned Google search about the poem I just started to talk loudly and overpower his voice and Callum and Carl just couldn't stop cracking up. I got SO annoyed. And then EVERYONE wanted to know what it was and Seung Kwon told them... and he said that I was pretty much attacking Redpath in that post. My god. I just went nuts as soon as I realized which post it was. The worst post in the world for anyone in my ENGLISH class to find out. AAARGH. So now everyone knows about this blog and I have to watch what I say now. Well, not really, I don't really care. :P

The funny thing was, Cameron then turned to me and said "I think you should blog about this" and I was actually thinking that at the time. That's how sad I can be sometimes when it comes to blogging... but bloody hell, I couldn't stop thinking about it once I finished the English exam and I raced home and immediately replaced the entry (I still have a copy of the original post on my computer, this blog's more to keep a history for me so I'd hate to lose any post, even if it WAS pretty bad...) since everyone was saying they were going to Google for the entry as soon as they god home. :sweat:

It's kinda funny because my blog view count skyrocketed between the time I got home and about an hour after that. And at one point, while checking the number of people viewing the blog list and my blog, it was 23. Far out, people need to find something better to do than to find embarrassing statements by me on the internet. :P

Oh and it's weird, but Lillis didn't turn up for the English exam either. So now I'm worried... his headache from yesterday must have gotten REAL bad. :(

And that reminds me! I got SO pissed off during the English exam because my black pen ran out of ink just as I finished my poetry essay, then my blue pen ran out halfway through my Julius Caesar essay so I had to switch to my screwdriver pen and that was pretty much giving out by the time I was finishing off the essay on A View From The Bridge. If that pen ran out, I'd have had to have written with my red pen. Thankfully I managed to squeeze ink out of my darn screwdriver pen so it was all good. :sweat:

BAH. I couldn't get the Argentina bags today because apparently we have to now pay the $300 before we obtain the bags. And I was planning to see what I could fit in the bags... and the clothing list is just ridiculous. I hate blue jeans. And they expect me to bring along two pairs of casual shorts. I don't even think I own any pairs of shorts which can fit me, since my togs don't count. I'm just going to bring my black jeans and extra long pants and there's nothing they can do about it. But seriously, the number of things they want us to take can't possible fit in the tiny bags we had especially made for the trip. :eek:

Got 5 aside soccer tomorrow!! It'll be good as, then we got band practice at like 5pm!! I still have to find out where the hell Tim's place is since I've never heard of the street before. But soccer's going to be awesome in our suits... I just gotta practice wearing my tie, since I forgot how to tie one AGAIN. I swear I tied them perfectly during production, but lack of practice has made me forget which is lame as. And I gotta find out where Jansen Park is... but apparently it's on the way to Morrinsville. MORRINSVILLE. NATHAN!! Haha, yeah, I couldn't help it, I just had to say that. :P

And you'll have noticed I don't care about all you people reading my blog now! I'm still sticking to writing whatever I feel like so nyeh. Just don't tease me when we go back to school. :P

~ Jonny

Seung Kwon: Oi, is there anyone else still writing?
Me: *looks around* I think Mitch is, I can see him there.
Seung Kwon: My god, what is there to even write about?!

Filed in Exams, Life, School, Screwed, Spring 2007

Drones

Posted by JGJTan  Icon, 06 September 2007 - 11:36 AM

My god, study is intense. It's a real thinker... I did two Music papers to hand to Mr. Botting tomorrow to see how I'm going and then I moved onto English study.

Wow. I think I've done some good study, since I finally realized what one of the poems we've been studying is all about. I decided to take the learning approach Mrs. Redpath used for Julius Caesar and A View From The Bridge on Tuesday and Wednesday (they were actually really good revision lessons, pity about the terrible poetry lesson) and applied them to the two poems I plan on writing about in the exam coming up tomorrow.

Everyone's doing Ozymandias since it's one poem we know in depth and everyone's studied thanks to the several lessons dedicated to the poem... not to mention the hilarious jokes used with quotes about Ozymandias which crop up all the time. But it's one of the ones I'm doing and the study notes I wrote for it just before seemed to help quite a bit... but not as much, since the main focus is human insignificance in time/history because no matter how much we try place our mark on the land, in the end we're nothing among the lone and level sands of time.

The second poem everyone seems to be doing is Upon *you guys are lame*... Yes, it is in fact about what's in the title. However, like Ozymandias, it deals with the idea of human insignificance, and yet again, it's one of the few we studied in class.

But I'm not planning on doing that one. I'm choosing The City Planners instead. And I'm so amazed and deep in thought at the moment because I think I've found the main idea the poem discusses. We established in class (yay for poems we've studied in class) that Margaret Atwood was trying to convey the idea that perfection was not that perfect, that it can seem like a fain sickness lingering among everything. The word choice she uses also helps to convey her opinion... and then I realized what it is about.

The loss of individual freedom.

No matter how much you try to hide all the imperfections, eventually they will surface as nothing is perfect. To be perfect, we will all end up having to be the same. Margaret Atwood uses words such as pedantic rows, sanitary trees and the rational whine of a power mower to show that everything is in control and orderly, it brings up the notion of suppression, that everything is calculated, logical and reasoned. There is no sense of individualism among these houses, only one body trying to achieve perfect, and any imperfections are covered up and hidden away from sight and appear as a bruise to those people. In the end, we will not have any control over our lives as we will conform to be alike, to be the "perfect" human being, at the cost of individual freedom.

And wow, I think writing this blog has helped me with my essay. Yay. I don't think I'm going to fail as badly now. :P

Anyway, aside from all things educational (especially Maths), I had a fun day today!! We had our Argentina meeting during interval today and I led Tutira Mai and Whakaria Mai, although I have no idea what the words for Tutira Mai are. But it was awesome fun and then we just dispersed and went back outside before going to class. Lunch was just fun since we sat inside. I basically did nothing and relaxed, as I watched Matt, Mitch, Narayan, David and Sean play cards and Souvik giving pointers to Cameron and Callum as they played Pokemon. Tahn, Sma, Sam, John, Liam, Carl and Blair decided to stay outside despite my best efforts to convince Blair and Carl to come upstairs (the others are just way too noisy haha but they're awesome anyway even if they got us kicked out one time!!). :sure:

Oh and we got our finalized lists for Argentina such as clothes and groups and stuff... I'm a group leader!! Even though we don't really do anything, I'm a group leader!! It's so exciting even though everyone else doesn't think so and just looked at me weirdly!! And I won't be surprised if I lead my group in the wrong direction and end up getting lost, Norton, Callum and Cameron think I'm going to end up in Canada. :P

Classics was awesome!! This isn't educational btw. We had to move our desks to D2 from A4 because of exams in the hall so we went to D2 to grab their desks to take to the hall (ours in A4 would be given to D2) but the teacher told us to come back in 20mins. So once 20mins had been up, we went over with our desks... but got halted by Mr. Robinson and told to turn around since ours weren't needed. But then as we went inside and put our desks down, he came back saying D1 needed our desks. So then we grabbed them and got out of the corridor... and he told us to take them back. We were all pissed off at that point and we nearly got back to class... when he told us our desks were in fact needed in D1. ARGH. He's so damn annoying. So we took them into D1...

It just so happened to be the Year 12 Economics class being taken by my tutor teacher Mrs. Weren (my tutor class is D1, w00t) and Carl and Mitch are in that class. Mrs. Weren then saw me and was like "Oh hey Jonny!!" and like the whole class pretty much knows me and I know them so I put my desk down and then sat on the same seat as Carl and stayed in Economics as he taught me how to get a Merit in the class... until I realized who was in the class.

"Jonny Tan. There's Aria chips!"

Crap. Campbell. He is SO irritating. I used to be good mates with him back in primary school but since I left to go to a different intermediate and he stayed (Hamilton West is a primary and intermediate school), we just never stayed good mates despite hanging out during weekends every now and then during the first year of intermediate. And he always likes to say that second sentence, since I said that line for a TV commercial I was in advertising my friend Bjorn's parents' product, since they own the whole Aria Farm business. Right after that he decided to say the most embarrassing thing in the world to me (others might debate whether it's embarrassing, many find it legendary and think I'm weird for being embarrassed saying there's nothing to be embarrassed about) and I just turned red-faced and quickly got up to leave. Mitch just looked at me and asked in an amazed voice if it was true, Mrs. Weren turned to look at me and the whole class just started making some comments in amazement and stuff. Josh (I think it was josh) just looked at me as I quickly walked out of the classroom back to Classics and said what I did was legendary but I blocked out everything else. Jeez. The past can really haunt you sometimes... :sweat:

That reminds me of something funny on the bus today. Me and Callum were sitting on the bus and just talking and there were these two guys who always are on it as well. Now they think I musn't have ears or something, but they always whisper and talk about me, especially this one guy. Anyway, today he must have had the guts to ask or something since they were discussing it at the bus stop while I was eating my sundae and Callum was drinking his milkshake, so when we got on the bus, I purposely chose the seat in front of them to see what would happen... then...

The one guy leans towards me and asks....

That guy: Are you gay?
Me: Why? Are you trying to hit on me?
That guy: *defensively* No! *quickly pointing to his friend* He wanted to know!
His friend: No, it was that guy! *pointing to a random on the bus*
Random: Wtf?

Jesus, some people are weird, yet I found that actually hilarious. It's kinda creepy though since I get hit on by guys quite a bit. Callum says I'm too camp. :P

Oh yeah!! We went to the Salvation Army shop (I felt so cheap walking into that store) to buy suits for soccer on Saturday. We bumped into Tahn and Liam on the way, whom we spotted because they were walking around with two chairs each, taken from outside of Mr. Leach's classroom because they were there and they felt like taking them. Tahn joined us in looking for stuff since he needed a tie. I ended up getting a tie and a jacket and Callum just got a jacket. The tie + jacket ended up costing $6 for me which was an awesome deal, although the clothes did smell like poor people, as I kept saying to Callum on the bus ride back. :P

Oh yeah!! Just for something quick which happens to be educational, I beat Mr. Botting in a Music paper!! At first I said the key of the piece was F major due to all the modulation being relevant to F major, but Mr. Botting said the C sharp (I saw that before but disregarded that due to the excessive use of accidentals) indicated D minor. In the end when I got to a question and told him it made no sense if the key was D minor, he checked the answers... and the key was F major. OMG. I was SO stoked!! Adrian kept telling me to be quiet though which was pretty amusing. Hopefully that proves to Mr. Botting I can in fact do Scholarship Music. :D

~ Jonny

Me: You should come play soccer on Saturday with us!!
Blair: Aww I can't, Dalyn's got this rowing fundraising event on.
Me: I bet you like to stroke his oar!
Blair: No, I'd rather enjoy raising his funds!

Filed in Argentina, Friends, Life, School, Spring 2007

Isn't it Nice

Posted by JGJTan  Icon, 05 September 2007 - 11:19 AM

... when you have to work on the day you were meant to have leave.

I am SO pissed off with work at the moment. I was meant to have today off for studying but I got a call in the afternoon from Cheryl and she said that my leave was scribbled out in the diary, yet I have my leave form slip saying I ain't meant to be working until like October. GRR. And then Callum noticed in the diary that someone had scribbled out my leave the DAY BEFORE WE LEAVE. Wtf. I got SO angry. How the hell am I meant to work until 10.30pm and then get up real early the next day to go to the airport. But Cheryl said she knew she approved my leave and that someone was messing with the diary so I still have leave thank god... :sure:

Anyway, let's look at happy things which have happened today!! I had lots of fun in Maths and Physics today which was amazing. Mr. Stowers handed us old test papers we sat way back like last term (I got 38% in that one...) on quadratics and functions. I got so low in that test because I got nearly all the quadratics right (one silly mistake with inequalities) but I was shocking at functions since I couldn't do any. But I tried out the test paper today and I flew through it and even answered quite a few of the functions and when I went to check the answer scheme, I got every single one I answered right!! And I hadn't even done many functions questions and I was already guaranteed a C!! Wow. I was sooo stoked. :D

But then we got our calculus papers back. Thank god I wasn't lowest in the class... Mr. Stowers said it was a very hard test and most people got around 50-55% (Cameron, the scary person he is, got 90%) and he said that was acceptable but we'd need to step up. Me and Ryan got 25%. Yay, go us. But... Uchena got 20%. For the whole test, he had his theory book out to help him with his answers, what the hell? It makes me feel sorry for him... but in a way it's deserving of him. :eek:

Music was so great!! I joined the Year 10 class for once in their studies and it was good as, we were identifying major keys from the key signature. Well, mainly I was in the class because I wanted to meet the Aussie exchange student who does singing scholarship. Mr. Galbraith said that he would find this kinda too basic but he'd have to sit through it anyway and just looked at me and was like "Jonny here... will find this way too simple so I don't know why he wants to do this" and it was pretty funny. So while they were identifying the majors, I was testing myself by seeing how fast I could work out the relative minors. It pretty much screwed me up because Galbraith was asking everyone in the class what the keys of the awesome key cards he was using were and when he asked me (no flats or sharps so it was C major) I immediately just blurted out "A minor" because I was thinking of the relative minor and then he just looked at me and shook his head. I wasn't wrong!! I was just confused. :P

And then afterwards when he asked everyone to work out the relative minor of the 10 questions test he did of major keys, I had fun writing on the whiteboard. I filled the bottom half of the whiteboard with all my theory since I was just testing my knowledge and making scale matrices. I first wrote down the major and minor keys up to five sharps and flats, then worked out the tonic triads of each of them and then wrote down the 5 relative keys to the scale (subdominant, dominant, relative major/minor, major/minor's subdominant (2nd of original key) and dominant (3rd of original key). Mr. Galbraith and Mr. Chaplain and half the Year 10s just stopped to watch me going hard out writing and Galbraith just called me strange. But it was sooo much fun. :D

OH!! And Mr. Botting gave me four harmony revision papers to complete so I'm going to have SO much fun doing them!! I was so excited I started one during lunchtime today which was kinda sad, but I actually enjoy Music Theory sooo much. :)

We had our soccer meeting today for nominations for awards. I got Most Improved Player which was exciting!! It was kinda funny because everyone was trying to vote for Anaru in the People's Player award (he only turned up to one practice and one match, he only joined the soccer team to get it on his school report... and he really sucks at everything he does) since he was also running for Student Representative on the Board of Trustees. Everyone voted against him. I don't think anyone really likes him... he's a nice person but he's just... eugh, just him. A wannabe hard out. :eek:

Oh yeah. I'm not too sure if I'll see Nathan on Saturday since there are two Morrinsville teams and only one of them (Morrinsville 1st V) is in our division, the other team (Morrinsville Ninjas) are in another division and Nathan sounds like a person who'd be in a team with the word "ninja" in it. Then again, we're the Boys' High Execs$ because we'll be playing our matches in suits. It's gonna be so awesome. :P

Tomorrow we got Spanish practice!! I'm gonna just try stall all period tomorrow so we don't have to do anything, but we got practice during interval for our presentations. Grr. I think I'm the only one who knows the Spanish version of Whakaria Mai off by heart now. I'm going to look very silly being the only one singing. :sweat:

~ Jonny

William: Why is it, that whenever you two always hug each other, you both look like you're drunk?
Me and Carl: That's because we ARE drunk!
Mitch: Drunk on love!

Filed in Life, School, Spring 2007

These Are The Days

Posted by JGJTan  Icon, 04 September 2007 - 10:46 AM

Y'know, I just realized, but it's really hard to remember if I've used some of these songs as blog entry titles already. So I think I'll change this one... since it sounds like one I'd have used quite a few times and I'll check afterwards. :P

Anyway, I'm getting REALLY excited about Argentina now!! Got something like 15 or 16 days to go (according to the countdown in our Spanish class) and today during Spanish we had a major discussion (more like major stalling of Mr. Matthews so we didn't have to do any work) about the trip and everything which would be happening. :)

Ashley went home and brought back a set of bags which we would each have and would use while over there. They're small. I couldn't stop complaining because I was trying to imagine how I'd fit all my clothes into that tiny little travel bag but Mr. Matthews said we wouldn't need so many clothes... but I'll need them since I can't stand constantly wearing a set of clothes for more than a day. And Callum did an awesome job strutting and displaying the travel packs along the catwalk in class, 10/10 performance. But I'm still annoyed because they're really tiny and I won't be able to fit everything I want to take, so I'm probably just going to do what I did (and always do when travelling) last year for Vanuatu and wear extra layers when going there and upon arrival, strip off all the extra layers and just either stuff them into my bag or just carry them in a plastic bag. :P

Oh yeah. Mr. Matthews must have been talking crap today or something, but I'm seriously annoyed. Apparently we have to pay an EXTRA $300 because "the dollar's dropped" which is pretty much bullcrap since last time. So now everyone has to pay an extra $300 for all the money which has been lost due to the changes in price and he won't even give us a letter to take home to our parents since "they already know" about it but at the last meeting, he said it was a possibility but unlikely to happen. So now everyone's getting pretty pissed off about it. :sure:

We had our Maori presentation practice today during interval for Argentina!! No one knows the actions to the Kamate haka and me, Callum, Norton and Cameron were the only ones singing the Spanish version of Whakaria Mai thanks to me having a copy of the words... in the end it was basically me singing since I was the loudest and everyone just turned around to watch me sing and it was pretty scary. :X

Oh yeah!! Something funny happened in Music today. Well, more like frustrating. So I'm doing practice for my harmony and tone recognition exam which is coming up shortly and Mr. Botting finally gave me a practice sheet to do... I completed it in half an hour. I think I blogged about it yesterday. Well anyway, he marked it today. I got one mark taken away from my total... ONE question wrong. All because they didn't physically show a key change in the piece towards the end, and even Mr. Botting said it was a nasty one, since the accidental added in the end chord progression was present throughout the extract and that was hardly obvious. :sure:

Basically I just got one mark wrong out of the whole test which was something like 40 or so marks... I asked Mr. Botting for my grade since I wanted him to write down Excellence... but he wrote down Merit saying "full marks for Excellence" and then walked away saying "Ahh I love being a teacher" and I nearly threw my pen at him. But he was just messing with me and told me it was all good. :P

And then he gave me another sheet to do and this time it was really annoying since half the terms they used I had to guess (thankfully I got them right) but at one question, I got really annoyed (hint: only read the next few paragraphs if you're a Music Theory freak like me) and had to ask him for help. The question went like this:

From the extract above, where it is marked x, y, z, identify the notes in the chord which are unnecessary. The first two were pretty much straightforward (x had the Emin chord, root position, with the missing dominant and two unnecessary passing notes, while y had Emin again but in the first inversion with another unnecessary passing note) however z was confusing. At a glance, you'd think the passing note would be disregarded, however it makes up the A flat major 7th chord, and generally you need to keep the 7th of the chord to display it. From all my theory knowledge and teachings, I've been brought up to keep the 1st, 3rd, 7th and 9th notes of the chord if I have to neglect others.

Now, z happened to involve A flat, C, E flat and G which forms the A flat major 7th chord. So I wrote down that E flat was unnecessary and went to ask Mr. Botting if I was right, however he said it seemed like the G was completely unnecessary, but I pointed out the fact it made up a 7th chord so he stopped and looked. Then he asked Mr. Chaplain (Music student teacher) what note to remove and he said the G, but then looked again and said the G made the 7th chord and that removing it would make it not sound complete, however the dominant (5th, E flat) was constant through the extract and removing it would cause a gap. So Mr. Botting went to his trusty harmony theory book to look for information about unnecessary notes...

Nothing. The book told us nothing. So now I'm stuck because Mr. Botting and Mr. Chaplain's answer contradicts my knowledge of theory. And then Mr. Botting told me to trust my Theory teacher more than him because he was bad at harmony. So basically I don't really know the answer and Mr. Botting's lost the answer sheet. But if I think about it, the G is only a passing note therefore it won't have as much significance on the chord, however you can't ignore the fact that the chord is on the first beat of the bar so the G has more of an impact. Argh... I love Theory because I'm good at it but sometimes it just drives me insane. :icky:

Mr. Botting said he'd help me out with it tomorrow and we'd look it up and discuss it all and then go over other important bits of Music. :)

Although he and Mr. Mayall were amazed at my ability to read and score out figured bass and told me that figured bass was unnecessary and only needed for girls, people who play harpsichord and for cellists of music from about the 18th century period. :sure:

I love Tuesdays though!! I don't have Maths on Tuesdays!! Although I got Maths first period tomorrow which'll be lame, Wednesdays are like my worst days, although I have Music between interval and lunch which is awesome and Classics after lunch, so it's not too bad I guess. :D

Oh yeah... I still haven't forgotten about him. Today David looked at me and with a grim look on his face, said:

"Morrinsville are in our division for 5 aside soccer."

YUSS. NATHAN!! Although I just have to hope that he's actually playing on Saturday. :P

It's funny, Carl cured my grumpy mood today by surprise hugging me and just whispered into my ear "Nathan!!" and I was all cheerful again!! I was grumpy because me, Callum and Souvik were having an intense debate on something like equality or something, brought about by South and Mr. Hassall during Classics which led to quite a nice philosophical discussion on morals and religion and whatnot for the last half hour of the class. :)

~ Jonny

*35mins of the period wasted by discussion about Argentina*
Mr. Matthews: Ahh yes ok now boys, you had homework from last night. Bring that out now.
Matt: *whispers to me in a panicking voice* Quick Jonny, stall him some more! Show us what you're made of!
Me: *hand shoots up* Sir! Uhh... what's the inventory actually going to be like now that we've finalized everything?
*no work gets done for the whole period as I constantly as questions for the rest of the hour*

Filed in Argentina, Life, Music, Spring 2007

• (3 Pages)
  • +