#16 {lang:macro__useroffline}   ©allum {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • Group: Member

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE(Aarоn @ Mar 2 2007, 12:20 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
QUOTE(Elvenblader @ Mar 1 2007, 09:02 AM) {lang:macro__view_post}
Quality over quantity.

I agree wholeheartedly. I also don't believe that homework, tests, or anything should exist. I wish school would be more of a discussion group full of people who thirst for knowledge and want to discuss the subject matter. Unfortunately, most people aren't like that and only wish to get out of school to go {expletive ninja'd by Cspace} their girlfriend/boyfriend and get drunk. So, we must have tests to see if people really were paying attention.

I wish school was more like this too. Tests and all that, in my opinion, are silly, as most people just remember what they need to pass the test, and once that's over, it's all forgotten. sad.gif

Posted Image

#17 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Res {lang:icon}

• Ol' Crazy Res
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_gallery}
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE(Darkness™ @ Mar 1 2007, 11:09 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
So... you're saying that what you don't like about the school systems is their inability to properly control those who probably shouldn't be in the schools? Like, as you said, the people who you're trying to avoid getting mugged by or the dude who threatened to jump you on your way home (not sure if these were actual examples from your real life, but they work well as examples for the discussion bluetongue.gif )?

If that's what you mean, then perhaps we should be going back to the 1800s when the teachers were free to punish you as frequently and as harshly as they liked. That may be a bit extreme, but the Bill of Rights has, in effect, made it impossible to use harsh physical punishment for disciplinary actions. And judging as how those sort of things are probably the only effective way to keep such people under control, this flaw in the school systems can be traced back to the Constitution itself, so we may as well argue that not only the schools are crap, but America itself is tainted. Again, perhaps a little extreme, but it seems to me that there is no plausible fix for this situation.

Actually no, it was an actual occurance where someone spread a word that he planned on jumping me and "Tearing me in half." Honestly, if you look at it from the 1800s point of view, I honestly cannot tell you how much I would -LOVE- that. In my area, particularly. Nothing would please me more than to actually have some disciplinary action take place in my school.

Anything revolving around five-across-the-face to a bullet in the face (To some people). I'd love it.

QUOTE(©allum @ Mar 2 2007, 02:36 AM) {lang:macro__view_post}
QUOTE(Aarоn @ Mar 2 2007, 12:20 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
QUOTE(Elvenblader @ Mar 1 2007, 09:02 AM) {lang:macro__view_post}
Quality over quantity.

I agree wholeheartedly. I also don't believe that homework, tests, or anything should exist. I wish school would be more of a discussion group full of people who thirst for knowledge and want to discuss the subject matter. Unfortunately, most people aren't like that and only wish to get out of school to go {expletive ninja'd by Cspace} their girlfriend/boyfriend and get drunk. So, we must have tests to see if people really were paying attention.

I wish school was more like this too. Tests and all that, in my opinion, are silly, as most people just remember what they need to pass the test, and once that's over, it's all forgotten. sad.gif

Tests here are nothing more than status. We're taught what's on the test, not expected to use it or apply it anywhere in real life, but the better test scores, the more pristine the school is and the more appeal it has.

Some of the people here are dumb as bricks. But they're basically given the answer to the test questions when test day comes.

Seriously, it's happened. More than once. Guess what Administration does.

Nothing.
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be "The One".
Born to bear and read to all the details of our ending
To write it down for all the world to see.

#18 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Jake {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:43 PM

Tests here are nothing more than status. We're taught what's on the test, not expected to use it or apply it anywhere in real life, but the better test scores, the more pristine the school is and the more appeal it has.

Welcome to GCCISD... oh... wait you live in Lousiana. My bad.

Actually no, it was an actual occurance where someone spread a word that he planned on jumping me and "Tearing me in half.

In my old school (last semester) I used to have some problems with the idoits there. You see, I was in a school dominated by black and mexican wannabe gangsters.
The problem they had with me was... well... nothing really. They saw me, and thought that since I was white I wouldn't do anything and would probably run away.
The funny thing is, since I'm 6ft 1in and weigh 230lbs they were kind of worried about fighting me. They randomly started **** with me, I stood up to them (four idoits), and they got scared. They threatened to jump me at school, I said "****ing do it", and they backed down. It's pathetic really... most people that threaten to "jump" people can't fight anyways.

Retards like (I'm assuming) you deal with only "respect" violence and think theyre immortal.
I guess I'm just rambling by now but my point is this. If you stand up to these retards (at least my retards) they tend to leave you alone.

Edit: Don't get me wrong. I'm no fighter, and I think that the only thing violence does is cause more bitterness and anger. Which eventually turns to violence and so on.

#19 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Res {lang:icon}

• Ol' Crazy Res
  • Icon

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:38 PM

Nar, I showed them the hacksaw, hatchet, and two machetes in the back of my work-truck. I also had people that know me tell him I'm not someone to mess with. Lurv.

And your little statement about me being in Louisiana made me laugh. Really hard.

"Education is useless. We need results!"

They teach us tests instead of useful information we actually need to become useful members of society.

#20 {lang:macro__useroffline}   santaseed {lang:icon}

• Advanced Member
  • Icon

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:52 PM

What is Texas ranked?

#21 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Jake {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:59 PM

iamwithstupid.gif

How stupid are we?

Nar, I showed them the hacksaw, hatchet, and two machetes in the back of my work-truck. I also had people that know me tell him I'm not someone to mess with. Lurv.

That'll do it

You might even scare off the people who are proud of using brass knuckles. bluetongue.gif

And I mean the
"Yo that foo Trey wuz up all n my face and I was like BAM with the knuckles across the face. Trey's such a little b*tch foo." Types

#22 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Res {lang:icon}

• Ol' Crazy Res
  • Icon

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:07 AM

Texas is ranked 24. With a score of -0.11

Not bad. You folks are in much better shape than mine.

#23 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Jake {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

What is that based on? Standardized testing? or something that really matters like student to teacher ratio, funding, college attendance, etc.

#24 {lang:macro__useroffline}   santaseed {lang:icon}

• Advanced Member
  • Icon

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:15 AM

Yay!

#25 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Neraphym {lang:icon}

• Do not want!
  • Icon

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:16 AM

My high school prepared me pretty well for college. That is probably because most of the time, I asked why instead of what. Any retard can google/wiki some random fact. It takes a brain to understand why things happen.
Neraphym Archaeon
Posted Image
GWAMM

#26 {lang:macro__useroffline}   santaseed {lang:icon}

• Advanced Member
  • Icon

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:18 AM

Even private schools take standardized tests

#27 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Jake {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:21 AM

The private school's standardized test is alot harder than the TAKS test. The one I took in my freshman year was more difficult than the Exit-Level TAKS I just took. (It's for Juniors... 11th grade)

#28 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Res {lang:icon}

• Ol' Crazy Res
  • Icon

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE(Neraphym @ Mar 2 2007, 06:16 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
My high school prepared me pretty well for college. That is probably because most of the time, I asked why instead of what. Any retard can google/wiki some random fact. It takes a brain to understand why things happen.

And this is why Alpha is who he is today.

I'm realizing there are a lot more people in this world who think with their brain instead of their dick. I guess just because I'm shut in this hickville town that I'm used to seeing it. But he has the right idea.

Why instead of What. That's my new motto. Much love.

Oh, and the survey..

METHODOLOGY--This fifth Smartest State designation is awarded based on 21 factors chosen from Morgan Quitno’s annual reference book, Education State Rankings, 2006-2007. To calculate the Smartest State rankings, the 21 factors were divided into two groups: those that are “negative” for which a high ranking would be considered bad for a state, and those that are “positive” for which a high ranking would be considered good. Rates for each of the 21 factors were processed through a formula that measures how a state compares to the national average for a given category. The positive and negative nature of each factor was taken into account as part of the formula. Once these computations were made, the factors then were assigned equal weights. These scores then were added together to determine a state’s final score (“SUM” on the table above.) This way, states are assessed based on how they stack up against the national average. The end result is that the farther below the national average a state’s education ranking is, the lower (and less smart) it ranks. The farther above the national average, the higher (and smarter) a state ranks. This same methodology is used for our annual Healthiest State, Safest and Most Dangerous State and Safest/Dangerous City Awards.

The table above shows how each state scored in Morgan Quitno’s fifth annual Smartest State Award.

.. You know what, just go here.
http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank.htm

#29 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Zziggywolf5 {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE(Jake @ Mar 1 2007, 06:58 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
ll in all, education in some area's of America is compartmentalized and exchanges quantity for quality while the small percentage of people that can't/won't keep up are left behind.

Sadly, in most of the schools I've been too (a lot) they tend to keep the smarter kids at the same pace as the dumb/lazy kids. It's really not fair to the people with actual potential and the will to use it.

I've been to 7 different schools and they all did the same thing.

Well, you don't want to hurt the stupid kids' feelings by making them feel less important.

Eh, I probably shouldn't even be in this discussion. bluetongue.gif I'm in the white, upper/middle-middle class area in honors classes. I'm a nerd, but the lazy and the such just kinda leave us alone. Or at least me.

QUOTE (JGJTan @ Jul 17 2008, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I endorse stalking. :thumb:

#30 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Aaron {lang:icon}

• Hai
  • Icon

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:42 AM

QUOTE(Res @ Mar 2 2007, 05:23 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}

My school follows that philosophy. They try to get everyone they can to take the hardest or most worthless classes just because the school gets a higher ranking and the administration gets a pay raise. They also put clearly unqualified people in AP/Advanced classes just as long they think the kids will "make it through."

Here, most AP/Advanced classes are the same material as the "regular" classes, but they have more busy work and harder tests. Where does that get you? It makes you work harder to learn something that you will forget after the test. That's why I don't take many AP classes. I'm not boasting, but I'm probably smarter than most people in the advanced classes. I could pass them easily. But, I'm not going to waste my time and energy to take a class where I won't learn anything more, but will get more work. I'd also rather have one of the few remaining good teachers that will make class more than "Turn to page X, do the questions, and study for the test." Most of the "advanced" teachers don't fit that criteria.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users