Just Wondering...

#1 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • {lang:view_gallery}
  • Group: Administrator

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:09 PM

I was just wondering, would it be possible to promote all those who were previously in SeeD to officer? Of course I am only referring to SeeDs in it already, but it will probably facilitate recruiting quite a bit if they are capable of inviting members. It's ok if you don't want to, but it would probably benefit recruiting somewhat, now that we have capes and are therefore more desirable to join.
Posted Image

#2 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Final F8 {lang:icon}

• Do you remember...
  • Icon
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:00 PM

hmm. I guess that's a good idea bluThinking.gif But I think it's a bad idea to just go on a recruiting spree, we should only try to recruit people after we've talked to them, like when you do a co op mission with them or something. Just so you know you're not inviting some total jerk into the clan. (I've met a few of those on GW ShiftyEyes_anim.gif )
But I trust the members of SeeD already on the list will have a pretty good judgement on that sort of thing. grnwink.gif

Btw, did you know the maximum number of people allowed in a guild is 100? costumed-smiley-089.gif
Runescape:
Final F8 - Member of 'Dark Slayers'(inactive)

WoW:
Thrall Server (US) Alliance (sometimes-active)
Luu - 90 Warlock
Lion - 85 Druid
Crikey - 85 Hunter
Deathknut - 88 Death Knight
Mindbullets - 85 Priest

#3 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • {lang:view_gallery}
  • Group: Administrator

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:38 PM

I agree that you shouldn't go on a recruiting spree, but the concept of recruiting should not be considered secondary either. I am one to believe that recruiting is absolutely necessary for a guild to succeed in any game, at least at the start. A guild with few members won't appeal to as many, and as a result of that it could suffer. Would also hinder selective recruiting because by the time you get to discuss it with a member he/she would probably be much more particular, and the fact that a guild is small would sometimes turn them away when they know other more established guilds are out there.

Trying to obtain members by grouping does work, but at the upper levels it just gets very slow (since most above lvl 8 or 9 seem to already be in a guild). It also makes it very difficult to get started in most cases.

What we did in the RS SeeD is openly recruit at first to get a member base (not a recruiting spree necessarily, but letting members in who merely have interest if they don't seem like jerks), then close the doors and become more invite-only. I believe that a clan or guild goes through stages, and each one needs to be managed differently.

- First stage is when you try to make the clan appeal to others. In our case the capes are a big plus, but we don't have a presence yet. This is the reason that I think we should be pushing recruiting more, so we get a member base from which to build, and one to appeal more to other players later on.

- Second stage is when you try to refine the clan. You have a member base and a presence, but don't really have a purpose. This is when you target members a little more, like with selective recruiting. You would have a guild they would be more willing to join (since there would be much more competition at higher levels, players want to join an established guild at that point for the most part), and over time you build a community instead of just a group. Jumping straight to this step is possible, but it would be more difficult and take a bit of time and work and wouldn't always turn out any better than otherwise.

- Third stage is when you basically manage an already established clan and try to deal with problems as they come up. By this time recruiting is still important, though will usually take care of itself more.

What I am thinking is that, for the first stage, we target new players who seem to be friendly and whatnot. Could help them out somewhat, and as they grow the guild would grow in level with them. By the time they have higher levels, stop with this, and then go with what Final suggests and target more of the established players who you get to know a little.

I'm not saying to go everywhere spamming the chat channels for people to join, but just now and then asking people to contact you who are interested. Then talk to them a little before inviting, and then send an invite. If they cause problems just kick them, a guild at our stage isn't really going to suffer as much by doing that since we don't have a living community yet. For the most part, even if asking those with whom you group, sadly the cape is sometimes one of the largest factors they consider.. So there is no guarantee unless you really know the person.

But regardless, recruiting in general should be considered important, because whether you recruit or not determines whether you have a living breathing guild or just a group of friends. Just depends on your outlook on the guild, and I'll act by what Final thinks is best.
Posted Image

#4 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Final F8 {lang:icon}

• Do you remember...
  • Icon
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:58 PM

Very well put, as always. grnwink.gif

That makes alot of sense, I'll promote all the current members to captains when I get on soon. That should

asking people to contact you who are interested. Then talk to them a little before inviting, and then send an invite. If they cause problems just kick them

Sounds great. TheSmile.gif
Runescape:
Final F8 - Member of 'Dark Slayers'(inactive)

WoW:
Thrall Server (US) Alliance (sometimes-active)
Luu - 90 Warlock
Lion - 85 Druid
Crikey - 85 Hunter
Deathknut - 88 Death Knight
Mindbullets - 85 Priest

#5 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Bashae {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE(Final F8 @ Jul 2 2005, 09:00 AM)
Btw, did you know the maximum number of people allowed in a guild is 100? costumed-smiley-089.gif
{lang:macro__view_post}

I knew that and also not many guilds even reach that amount. Most are around 40ish at this stage... I MUST GET THIS GAME! arcadefreak.gif arcadefreak.gif arcadefreak.gif arcadefreak.gif arcadefreak.gif arcadefreak.gif arcadefreak.gif arcadefreak.gif arcadefreak.gif

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users