CurvedSpace Forums: The [Not-So-]Exclusive Interview with Cspace on the Upcoming DS Update - CurvedSpace Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The [Not-So-]Exclusive Interview with Cspace on the Upcoming DS Update

#1 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Bashae {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:45 AM

Here is a slightly modified version of my interview (modified to remove grammar errors and more free flowing conversation).

Q. Mind if I ask a few questions about the upcoming update?

Sure.

Q. Will there be evasion?

There will be abilities that may allow you to avoid damage, but having true evasion would require some sort of random number generator. Even if we could make something like that into the game and forums, it wíll not be introduced because I do not want to overcomplicate the battles.

Q. Balancing.

We are taking great care with it, but it will be hard for one to see how things are balanced until a number of classes are ready. The points will have different weights compared to the current system, so it'll be hard to make the comparison at the start, but I have everything planned out, and hope to get the correct classes out at the beginning.

Q. There are potential players out there that are put off by the maths work, but still want to have a 'planned' element in when they play. Will the update cater for them?

I am playing with the idea of a Java applet to assist with DS, but it is not coming for quite a while. However, I am simplifying the vast majority of the math to addition, subtraction, and multiplication, so the accessory calculator will be sufficient.
Interviewer Note:
There were some more complex formulae for some of the skills in game. Calculator from FFT anyone?

Q. Since you will not consider a random element, how about a speed element similar to the one in FFX or the ATB system in several FFs?

I am not sure how it would work, since it is done through posts, although some abilities require you to skip turns. I am trying my best not to complicate how the battles actually work, and trying to put 100% of the focus on stats and their effects on abilities.

Q. What are your plans for strategy? In the current system, battles are predictable and boring, and you refuse to put in a random element.

I am thinking of it like card games. Abilities are like a card and which cards you play are up to you.

Q. I hope the new strategies will not be so complex as to put off more players.

Hopefully not. I'm getting rid of acronyms, and will explain abilities in English and not in a single line.

Q. So continuing with your card game comparison, would a lower post count be like a 'starter deck' and a higher post count be like a 'customized deck with ULTRA HOLO RARES'?

I am thinking of making two of the three characters a person can have, have a set number of points, and then the third can tip the scale (or go onto tier 4 when that's ready) so it's not so heavily based on post count.

Cspace: Well, it's 3:25, I'd better go. I'll talk to you later, thanks for the feedback.
Reikin: Thanks for the time.

Well, there you have it! Looking for forward to the update! headbang.gif

#2 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Neraphym {lang:icon}

• Do not want!
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:06 PM

Hehe, I see you picked up where I left off. I stopped pestering him about the update all the way until 2:22 AM. bluetongue.gif Thanks for seeing my insomnia curse through!
Neraphym Archaeon
Posted Image
GWAMM

#3 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Darkness {lang:icon}

• CHILDREN!
  • Icon

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:53 PM

That was.. enlightening... Some things were not new at all, some were changed from the last time I bugged him... eh bluetongue.gif

“In the valley of hope, there is no winter.”

#4 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Ferret Overlord {lang:icon}

• Citizen Snips
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:23 PM

What's it being written in?

Cause I could easily name a few lines for a random number generator in Java and/or C++
HI! I'M BACK SPORADICALLY! Nobody probably remembers me :(

#5 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Darkness {lang:icon}

• CHILDREN!
  • Icon

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:50 PM

... I believe he said there -won't- be a random number generator o.O;

“In the valley of hope, there is no winter.”

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic