CurvedSpace Forums: Interesting Read For Possible Event Hosters - CurvedSpace Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interesting Read For Possible Event Hosters Don't let the smilies confuse you =)

#1 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Dragonman {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • {lang:view_gallery}
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 01 February 2005 - 01:00 AM

Events are actually one of the greatest things in SeeD. Truly, they are insanely fun and are loved by everyone. The problem is getting them started. nosmile.gif

So if you're not planning on hosting an event for whatever reason you have, or are interested on how to think as an event hoster, please take the time to read this through. stop.gif (Trust me, the smilies work, hehe.)

Hosting an event can very stressful and take up a lot of time. A big problem is that when someone goes to host an event, their event is some idea that they thought was really cool and 'amazingly awesome'. grnwacko.gif You need to think about it though: is this fun? ponder.gif

Before you post an event based off of a spontaneous idea (or 'spur of the moment'), wait a day or two before posting it, and see if you're still interested yourself in the idea. If you are, then the idea has potential for making a good event.

Now think, would you find your event fun? If you went to an event like this, would you enjoy yourself? Try to act like you are attending an event like this in your head to figure out how enjoyable this event could possibly be. I know this sounds kind of confusing tired.gif, but it's just putting yourself in someone else's shoes. The shoes of someone attending your event, that is.

A good way of knowing if your event is fun is if you had fun organizing it. Don't get this confused with coming up with ideas for your event. Are you getting stressed out because of questions and organizational problems? Hehe, I got news for you, there should be minimal amounts of organization for your event. biglaugh.gif If your event gets too complicated at some point and you're getting a lot of questions, then it's probably not going to be very exciting, since it takes a lot of thinking to understand it. bluThinking.gif HOWEVER, some full-blown events (such as massive Holiday events or award ceremonies) will take more organization, and in that situation there should be multiple event hosters.

But yes, thinking is bad, don't raise the eyebrow. peoples.gif (I wanted to use that smiley bluetongue.gif) Look at T.V., everyone loves that and there's no thinking involved whatsoever. I could be asleep in the morning and the T.V. is on, then I start dreaming about what's on T.V. action-smiley-072.gif

An example is drop parties in RuneScape (the hos,t and maybe others, drop valuable items on the ground for others to pick up). Not much thinking is required, because all you have to do is try and grab each item first. bluegrab.gif The drop party is an old idea though, so try to create some new, original ideas. An example is an event I held a while ago, the 'insanity raids'. I'm not saying I'm godly and want worship bis.gif, I'm just showing you how something as pointless as insanity raids can be very fun. Everyone who attended that event liked it because there wasn't much thinking involved.

Have you ever noticed during an event that when the host is trying to run things according to schedule, people can't help but try to do something else like run around and poke each other? 1poke.gif You need your event to be exciting, and something the attendees want to do. Would everyone want to stand in line and be silent? Probably not. biggrinbandit.gif Focus on what people want to do and something that would seem fun in the attender's perspective.

This is directed towards people who aren't planning on hosting events because I'm showing you guys how simple it can really be. Don't go in way over your head and try to organize "the best event ever", because that'll probably get too complicated. Look at what people want and just go with it. You shouldn't have to do a lot of work. There should be a host to lead everyone through the event, not order them around constantly according to what they planned out in some complicated manner. director.gif (Not saying that I haven't done that myself, this advice is all based on past experiences.)

Lastly, please don't give up with hosting events. Just because one didn't work out well doesn't mean they all will be duds. As you gain experience and get used to hosting events, they'll become better and easier to organize. It can be confusing to look at the guidelines/rules of event hosting, so it'll be easier to base it all off of what you've experienced as an event hoster. You need to experiement and persevere through the failed events. spin5.gif

Hopefully this gave you a new view on how events could be created and hosted. Once you've gained experience and know what's fun and what people want, you're sure to be getting a lot of happy event-goers and good reviews. appl.gif

P.S. (Last attempt to use another smiley.) Your event could be as wacky as these guys, this sure looks fun:

daz.gif
Posted Image

"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."
--K

#2 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Final F8 {lang:icon}

• Do you remember...
  • Icon

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:54 AM

lol bluetongue.gif
Was that post just an excuse to use a bunch of random smilies? bounce.gif umn.gif crazy3.gif biglaugh.gif
I've got an event planned for the next few weeks. Details will emerge shortly. grnwink.gif grinning-smiley-048.gif biggrinking.gif
Runescape:
Final F8 - Member of 'Dark Slayers'(inactive)

WoW:
Thrall Server (US) Alliance (sometimes-active)
Luu - 90 Warlock
Lion - 85 Druid
Crikey - 85 Hunter
Deathknut - 88 Death Knight
Mindbullets - 85 Priest

#3 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Zziggywolf5 {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:16 AM

Eh, I still won't ever host an event. bluetongue.gif I rarely go to events and when I do, I don't have fun. Check the Gallery to see an example. grnwink.gif

QUOTE (JGJTan @ Jul 17 2008, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I endorse stalking. :thumb:

#4 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Dragonman {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 05 February 2005 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE(Final F8 @ Feb 1 2005, 04:54 AM)
lol bluetongue.gif
Was that post just an excuse to use a bunch of random smilies? bounce.gif umn.gif crazy3.gif biglaugh.gif
I've got an event planned for the next few weeks. Details will emerge shortly. grnwink.gif  grinning-smiley-048.gif biggrinking.gif
{lang:macro__view_post}

coolgleamA.gif I needed to try out all those new smilies sometime, so I figured there's no better place than a post about events. bluetongue.gif Except maybe one in the Insanity Board. nut.gif

An event can be as small as a "get-together" where everyone just hangs out and does whatever. And if someone's new they can host a "get-to-know party" so that they can meet a bunch of SeeDs in-game. eyes.gif

Posted Image

"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."
--K

#5 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Pureblade {lang:icon}

• min ære er mitt liv
  • Icon
  • Group: New Member

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:05 AM

Lol, WAY too many smilies. Overload is inevitable....what kind of event final?
Darkstorm Character Profiles:
Neolumin Animate
Cacodaemon Hemoian

#6 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Dragonman {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:05 AM

Updated this, there were a ton of grammar mistakes, too. 2eyes.gif
Posted Image

--K

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users