#1 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • {lang:view_gallery}
  • Group: Administrator

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:40 PM

*Note from the interpreter*

I came across this unusual book a few years ago, the location I plan to keep to myself... But I've really been getting kicks out of it. It's written in a strange dialect of Luscartian (which we all know is the language of Cercarii), and I figured out how to translate it. This is really something, the narrative tells the future!

I'm keeping this book locked up where no one will find it. Being a Darinican engineer, I know that if this book got out there, everything could get messed up! The future that Fendarias apparently saw would never be seen, this book would never be written, and being the book that altered the future in the first place, we could experience a paradoxical plane shift! For all of you out there who have no idea what I mean, the whole universe could go "poof" the moment someone takes this book. You wouldn't want that. Not at all.

I also like being the only person in this world who knows the future! Hey, I found the book, I do what I want with it!

But people keep bugging me to see it... So I am transcribing the pages of the book onto one that anyone can see. Don't expect to see the future though, I'll only transcribe the pages as the events told occur. So I'll let you make your own predictions about the present. Consider it practice for when you come across your very own all-telling future book!

So here is the transcribed book... Enjoy, but remember, I won't tell you about anything that hasn't happened yet. I won't even tell you a single hint! If you've been away from civilization for a while though, maybe this will help you catch up with the present. With all the lost people wandering around here nowadays, I'm sure it can at least be useful for that if nothing else.
Posted Image

#2 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:50 PM

- The Age of Earthia -

By: Fendarias IV of Entarca

A narrative telling the stories of the events that defined the late periods of the "Age of Earthia".

Posted Image

#3 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:59 PM

Placeholder
Posted Image

#4 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:02 PM

Placeholder
Posted Image

#5 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:05 PM

The Dawn of Chaos: Part I

To the Earthians, few really bother to consider Corroria a part of their world. The Corrorians have no obvious interest that would conflict with the rest of Earthia, so there is no logical reason to do anything about them due to the risk. Their technology is not understood and their continent is so heavily defended that it would be suicide to bother, and with the other scattered conflicts there isn't much of a reason to investigate.

"Corroria? Who cares about Corroria?"

This is not necessarily true throughout the galaxy, however. Well beyond the bounds of most Earthians is the vacuum of space, and the locally isolationist Corrorian Empire is a major player when it comes to the battles that occur out there. Allied with the Aphorites, the Corrorians have been at war with expansionist empires for many years. The Aphorites and the Corrorians were highly successful in defending friendly sectors from what is currently the biggest threat, the Karlorons, a great "plague" of expansionist insect-like creatures that move from planet to planet. It was not long ago that the Karlorons were pushed back away from the Regulus and Corrorian systems.

Things seemed to be very good for both the Aphorites and the Corrorians, until the Corrorians came across what is rumored to be an artifact from before the First Age. The Aphorites have noticed a change in the Corrorians... The empire previously considered a protector is moving toward what one could consider a conquerer.

To the Aphorites, the Corrorians are becoming exactly what the two empires previously considered mutual enemies... Corroria's goal is now shifting toward forced colonization.

What exactly caused this quick transition for Corroria? No one currently knows..

It would not be long before the Aphorites would pull away from the alliance. This move, however, is extremely dangerous for the benign civilization from Regulus.

Almost as if it were expected that the alliance would fall apart, in a matter of days following the secession, the Corrorians turned on their long-time ally. Corroria mobilized a massive fleet of destroyers and have effectively blockaded Regulus 1, the rocky Aphorite homeworld...
Posted Image

#6 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:11 PM

The Dawn of Chaos: Part II

There are many things about this world that are simply a mystery, some not even alluded to in texts. Certain knowledge, seemingly forever beyond the bounds of common logic. The First Age is but the beginning of our understanding, for that is as far back as the texts we have today reach. The wisdom of the so-called Archaic Period has been long lost, but perhaps there are echoes of what happened then that still resonate today. Certain occurrances that simply cannot be explained... Certain events that seem almost scripted...

Alongside the recent Corrorian aggression, strange things have been happening on Earthia. The people of Dharonia and Aenoria have both noted mysterious flickering portals in the vicinity of their cities. These are unstable portals linking to unknown destinations, and so far no Scions or Auroranoks could manage to stabilize them. There have also been some unusual tremors around Maldenar, although the source is not known to be anything extraordinary.

However, the rising confusion on Earthia is not the largest thing to take place at this time...

The Corrorians, who have recently blockaded Regulus 1, have remained in orbit for many days. The Aphorites have made repeated failed attempts at negotiation, simply receiving no response from the Corrorians. It seems that the Aphorites are being ignored, and with them being at a major disadvantage, they have their fate resting in the hands of those directing the Corrorian forces.

The whole planet of Regulus 1 and its massive Aphorite empire seemingly came to a quiet standstill. That was at least until the Corrorians were given a grave order...

Without warning, the entire fleet of destroyers began bombarding the nearly planet-wide city from orbit. Fighters were scrambled as the only possible way to lessen the damage, but they were destroyed before they even left the atmosphere. The entire planet was burning... And by the end of the attack the city was reduced to rubble.

The attack came to an abrupt end, followed by hours of waiting for validation that the Aphorites were no more... With the order from Earthia, the fleet of destroyers re-entered hyperspace and left the system, now confirmed to be devoid of all significant life.

One Corrorian ship remained in that system, however... A modified AX-72 broadcasting no transponder sequence. A few minutes after the fleet left the system, the mysterious transport entered hyperspace and launched itself in an entirely different direction.

Meanwhile, back in the city of Corroria, an admiral was discussing the recent attack on Regulus 1 with an officer who was on his ship...

"By the way, was the source of the disruption located?" he asked the officer.

"What disruption?" the officer replied, followed by a long pause, "Oh, where our sensors skipped to another system. It's probably a bug in the navigation computer, ever since they updated the database we've been experiencing little glitches here and there. It was probably recalling something in its memory, a previous destination of your ship. What I don't know, however, was what caused that positron discharge from the planet before we attacked. Probably doesn't matter, though."

"I hate these intelligent computers, why can't they just do what you tell them anymore? They have a mind of their own... If we ever get stuck in a shortcut through a supernova remnant again I'm just going to break that thing."

"But how would we get back home?"

"I'll leave that up to you."
Posted Image

#7 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:14 PM

The Dawn of Chaos: Part III

Amidst the chaos of the Corrorian conflict, and that of the war between Forlon and Aderon, events are to take a turn for the worst in yet another realm. Shral Valeron, manipulating the powers of Telanidor for preparation for an attack to fulfill Nemorok's goal, was about to see a very unexpected adversary emerge... And one within the continent of Shral Valeron itself.

It happened on an unlikely patrol of the south shores. A wraith and three undead minions were in the patrol, seeking a ship that was said to be wrecked nearby. The ship came into view, and the patrol boarded it to search for its origin.

"Something under this ship is irritating me," the wraith said, pointing to a hole in the deck, "runt, go down there and get rid of it."

Without saying words, one of the undead went under the deck of the ship. Under the ship was something not seen in Shral Valeron for more than an Age... Green vegetation. The lower deck of the ship was filled with plants: flowers, grasses, fruits, and more. This was obviously a trader's vessel.

"What's taking you so long, runt?"

The undead minion of the wraith saw the plants wither and die before its eyes, as the wraith's malice influenced the fragile balance of this life.

"Runt! You're worthless! Get up here, we need to burn this ship!"

The undead hesitated for a moment, and then made a very strong fist and showed an expression of great hatred. It picked up a rod, still moist with the soil of the now dead plants, and walked up to the top deck slowly. The undead walked toward the wraith who was then slowly moving away from the ship, not realizing the undead's presence behind him. The undead snuck behind the wraith and swung the rod with great force at the wraith's head. It tore a large hole in the wraith's cloak and he let out a deafening screech. The wraith turned around quickly, only to see the rod once again thrusted toward him. The rod went through the wraith's shadow, and tore another hole in his cloak. In a desperate attempt to thwart the attack, the wraith picked up the scythe he dropped from off the ground, and swung it at the undead. The undead ducked under the scythe and came out once again with the rod, right through the wraith's presence. Another screech was heard, and the cloak dropped to the ground. The undead being watched as the cloak blew away with the wind into the sea.

"I am Ardaenia of the Ete'Akania people! You wretched abominations of Shral Valeron have destroyed the Eukletia Wood and enslaved its inhabitants for your own selfish conquests. I am here to reclaim the Wood and free those you have taken!"

As Ardaenia said this, the other two undead in the patrol came to a similar realization. Many (though not all) of the undead of Shral Valeron were once inhabitants of the Eukletia Wood, until the once green continent was taken by Nemorok. These undead were once Eumidia, Fay, among other creatures of the forest.

Ardaenia instructed the other two undead to return to Shral Valeron.

"Return to the city, and tell the legions of what happened. Tell them that an undead defied a wraith, but a ship was not found. You must stay alive though... You must spread the truth to the others who were once of the Wood."

The two undead nodded and began to work their way back to the Citadel.

"I know where I can find more like us... The place where the refugees went. Oh, I hope they are still around..."

After saying that to herself, and taking a moment to look at the land she once knew, Ardaenia raised the sails once again and commandeered the broken ship to the southwest.

Eventually she reached her destination: Euphrascia, the kingdom of the Eumidia. There was initially hostility toward her for being undead, but after speaking to the guards in Old Euphrascian they realized who she was. She was once a Eumidia like them, but not lucky enough to escape the wrath of Nemorok. She was then taken to the Counsel, where her cause, as well as her fate, were discussed...

"I think we can awaken the undead of Shral Valeron, and take back the land Nemorok stole from us," Ardaenia explained.

"Possessive of that land, aren't you Ardaenia?" replied a troubled cleric.

"I'm sorry... I just can't help it, I hate him so much.... If I could confront that blasted warlock one time I will kill him! That's what I need to do."

"You wish to bring death to those who did you harm? That's not the way of Arielina."

"I know... But you need to see what he did!"

"Ardaenia, I know that you have good intentions, and I don't question your heart. You may remember that you were once a Eumidia, but you need to also remember what you once stood for. The way of the light is not to desire the death of your enemies. You have been twisted for centuries by darkness, this is not something you can just forget. Please realize that you must rid yourself of the darkness brought upon you."

"But... With respect, I can be a powerful demomancer for your cause."

"A demomancer... An enslaver of spirits... Not unlike Nemorok..."

"I can turn his legions against him! Don't you understand?"

"This is something that must be further discussed. However, what can you do in your current state anyway? Now that you have broken from Nemorok, you have no master. An undead with no master will decay."

"Isn't there anything that I can do to once again become a Eumidia? To no longer be this wretched thing?"

"Well... Yes, there is. You will need to stay in Euphrascia for some time, however..."

"I will do what is necessary."

Meanwhile, in the city of Corroria, an admiral was meeting with one of his officers...

"Ok... So what exactly did you want to bother me about again?"

"Sir, it's the Aphorites."

"... What about the Aphorites?"
Posted Image

#8 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:10 PM

The Dawn of Chaos: Part IV

"Sir, the positron signature leaves off somewhere near Eridaan. I'm not sure of..."

"And if you look at the navigator you will see, lieutenant, that we are already there. I am six parsecs ahead of you, go fetch me something to drink."

"Yessir!" replied the lieutenant, scuffling through the back door of the bridge.

The admiral then produced an inquisitive look on his face, slowly pulling his gaze away from the sensors and to the window. "What in Capella..." he whispered under his breath, viewing a blue and green planet bustling with orbital activity.

"Those are Aphorite ships..."

Just then, his lieutenant rushed back into the room. "Sir! You seem to be short on sleep, so I thought you would like a Mountain Frost™ to help you get through the Standard."

"Good... Enjoy it, and come over here and tell me why I didn't know about this."

"But I don't like Mountain Frost..."

"Then get rid of it, I don't care. Tell me why the Aphorites aren't destroyed."

"I don't know, sir, maybe it has something to do with the positron discharge we detected in the Regulus system."

"And what do positrons have to do with this..."

"Well, positrons are broken antimatter particles... Fundamentally like positively charged electrons. They annihilate matter and can produce rifts in spacetime. Our scientists have been working on translocation technology, and it seems that positrons..."

"So the Aphorites developed translocators... We need to crush them before they can move yet again."

"No, sir, they did not necessarily develop that technology. Strangely, our stations have found nodes of this stuff on Eartheia... And believe me, I doubt"

"... That those insignificant sword-flinging finger-wiggling people outside Corroria would develop such technology?"

"Yessir!"

"Well that's not good enough, I want something solid. Go tell HQ about this, and let's get some reinforcements while we're at it."

"Yessir!"

A moment later, a message came through the comm unit...

"YOU ARE ENCROACHING ON APHORITE SPACE. SURRENDER AND PREPARE TO BE BOARDED, OR YOU WILL BE DESTROYED."

"Holy fizzlin... Everyone to their posts and prepare to defend! We need to make the jump to hyperspace, NOW!"

The lone Corrorian Frigate turned to its 6 o'clock and started taking evasive maneuvers, guns blazing to the rear at the incoming fighters. The nearby battlestation started taking shots at the frigate with its laser batteries, and the Corrorians took many direct hits during its desperate attempt to leave the system. As the fighters passed the frigate and prepared for a strafing run, there was a brief moment of silence in the bridge, save the muffled alarms gyrating in the crew quarters.

"Sir, it seems that the computer found a logical jump point, we should be safe if we can last another minute or so..."

"Excellent, and pilot, do watch for those fighters..."

Suddenly blue and violet lasers started returning to the battered frigate, creating an almost blinding strobe effect in the forward-facing bridge.

"Sir, our shields are failing! When they're gone it won't be long before they manage to punch holes in us."

"Divert all energy to the shields and weapons! Our engines can't outrun them, we need to last until the hyperdrive decides to activate..."

Three crewmen reply in unison, "Yessir!"

The Aphorite fighters returned for what would probably be the final pass, all aiming for the wrecked Corrorian ship, when the light started rippling around the Corrorians from the activation of the hyperdrive. A bright flash of white light came, and the Corrorians vanished into the depths of the cosmos...

Coughing, the admiral picked himself off of the floor. Looking around at the flickering lights and the smoke coming from the shield modulator, he knew that the hyperdrive activated, but knew not where the ship ended up. Gazing through the window, he saw a rather brilliant spectacle of glowing red strands of gas, with static charges going off randomly in all directions. No stars were visible through the ravaged cloud.

"... Lieutenant," the admiral started, "Did the navigator take us into a... supernova remnant... again?"

"Uh, yessir... It tells us that we will be home in seven weeks, it just needs to pass through the cloud."

"Seven weeks? WE COULD HAVE BEEN BACK IN SEVEN SECONDS! Stinkin' good-for-nothing computers, think they're so intelligent..."

With that, the admiral pulled the plug on the navigator and kicked it to the floor.

"Sir?!?! How will we get home?"

"... I'll leave that up to you..."
Posted Image

#9 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:53 AM

The Dawn of Chaos: Part V

With the technological war between Corroria and Eridaan underway, the three kingdoms fighting for control over the two major continents of Eartheia, and the forces of light and dark fighting a seemingly never-ending war, it would seem that all hope is lost for peace and stability in the world. In the meantime, with Valeron's forces getting desperate in their fight against two fronts, the grim sorcerers began to plot something new... Something that would surely give the forces of darkness the advantage once again.

They heard whispers... Whispers of the past age, whispers of ethereal beings who once fought for Nemorok. All things led to the sealed realm of Ages, a timeless realm that feels both the past and future... A realm as real as today, where both the past and the future are woven into a singularity of time and space. All roads lead to one destination, one realm... The Plane of Ages, where the blight of Nemorok and the aura of Aranel continue to emanate. To commune with such champions and once again possess their will and their power, one side in the Great War will surely be unstoppable.

Through the recent pilgrimage of the lost Eumidia to Euphrascia, word would reach the Avengers of the Dawn of the Legion's plans to commune directly with Nemorok. This, the Avengers could not allow.

The scholars of Euphrascia, with the knowledge they had of the Legion's plot as well as with assistance from Aenoria, managed to open a portal to the Plane of Ages. With the portal open, they connected directly with Frionia and spread the word of the Legion's plans. It was in Frionia that plans were made to protect the Plane of Ages, and to commune with the great paladin Aranel in this time of need.

"Where are our knights? We cannot delay while the forces of Valeron seek to call Nemorok," inquired a worried arbiter.

"Miss Lightstrider," a templar replied, "We must be sure of our plans, the Plane of Ages must not be desecrated, even for our cause."

"Please call me Vynna, I don't like to be associated with the Lightstrider name, it is false for I know not my ancestry," said the arbiter.

The arbiter then combed her long brown hair with her hand, looking at the ground obviously remembering something that deeply troubled her. Adjusting her armor baring the insignia of Frionia, she put her hand on the great sword on her back and looked forward with an expression of determination.

In a steadfast manner, fixated on the glowing disk to her left, Vynna declared, "Then I won't wait, I will enter the portal and do my duty for all that is good in this world. I refuse to stand by as the warlock returns to Eartheia."

"No, you can't go alone!" the templar exclaimed, incapable of stopping Vynna from progressing to the portal.

Looking back, Vynna called, "I will return when the plane is once again sealed from our realm."

With that, the arbiter took a long step forward, vanishing into the whirling portal.

Stepping into the Lucid Plane, Vynna stopped in awe of the magnificent realm before her. White light permeated the realm from all directions, images of great structures fade into view and vanish to be replaced by new visions. The ground was a flat plane of glowing energy, no details could be distinguished. Behind Vynna was the portal to Frionia, no longer a swirling vortex of light but a snapshot of what existed on the other side. To the right existed a similar portal to Euphrascia, and ahead existed a brilliant vortex with what appeared to be an array of stars with a black disk in the center. This was the entrance to the Plane of Ages.

Slowly taking steps forward, Vynna approached the vortex. She could sense an aura of death, becoming stronger the closer she approached. Eventually reaching the vortex, the arbiter stopped and considered her options. The Plane beyond was obviously under the influence of the Legion... What option did she have but to take that final step forward?

Taking a deep breath, exhaling slowly to prepare for the battle ahead, Vynna took that final step.

She plunged into a dark void, this was obviously not the Plane of Ages as she believed. She was attacked by those she could not see, held in place, incapable of turning back or progressing forward. A warlock within the Plane of Ages became aware of the new connection to the realm and destabilized the portal before Vynna entered, trapping her in his evil grasp.

Vynna heard a crackling voice inside her head... "You will die, now..."

"Oh no, I don't think so!" she retorted into the vacuum, drawing her sword, "Come and stop me!"

A shadow of a hand progressed toward Vynna's throat, choking her. She raised her sword and chanted a spell with the breath she had, creating a node of light that dissipated the shadow. She grasped her throat and breathed quickly to regain her stamina, hearing a laugh echoing through the realm.

Suddenly the plane started to shift, spiraling toward a center of increasing gravity. Knowing her situation was desperate, she raised her off-hand and conjured a blinding ray of light, focused on the center of the growing vortex.

"You will let me through!" Vynna commanded into the darkness.

The vortex started to ripple, dissipating into the void. Everything became distorted and eventually a new realm became visible to her. A massive complex materialized with the vision of a galaxy hovering overhead. Vynna made it to the Plane of Ages.

Before her was a group of revenants, specters, and warlocks, looking upon Vynna with a mocking disposition. Her battle seemed to have gotten the attention of those now in control of the Plane. Knowing that she was outnumbered and trapped, the minions of darkness cackled and shouted what were probably insults in an unfamiliar language. Kneeling and disoriented, Vynna looked at the onlookers with a far-off gaze. She made a mistake, the realm was more heavily protected than even the Frionians believed. She had no escape and knew that something terrible was about to befall upon her.

As the minions taunted the arbiter and advanced slowly, Vynna frantically creeped backward toward a statue of Aranel, where she stopped and prepared for a battle that would surely be a lost cause. Just as the group was almost upon her, a portal materialized below Vynna, causing her to fall out of the realm. The minions rushed ahead to catch her, but the portal dissipated before any of them had the chance.

Vynna saw the plane dissolve before her eyes, and then lost consciousness, not knowing where she was going to end up.

It was not a lost cause, however, for after Vynna left, the templar called for aid. A group of paladins organized and rushed into the portal, not soon enough to catch Vynna, but quickly enough to confront the Legion before all was lost. An uneasy balance between light and dark fell before the Plane of Ages, as a new struggle emerged for influence over the realm. This would become the primary goal of either side, both seeking the power and wisdom of their past leaders.

... And so the world was left to conflicts. Chaos had befallen Eartheia once again, and there was no sign of peace for the confused and suffering world but a slight glimmer of hope from within the shadows.
Posted Image

#10 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:55 PM

A Most Unusual Find

It was a breezy, overcast day over the Marble Coast. Built around the ruins of an old city was the village of Adthurn, in a remote corner of the empire of Entarca. It was an old and weathered town, backward by some people's standards, but a haven for fishermen and sailors from all over eastern Luscartia. A particular sailor, or privateer by some standards, was known to come to town now and then to pay a visit to the Wayfarers' Tavern. Built from a ship that was washed onshore by a typhoon seventy-five seasons earlier, this is the kind of scenery a treasure hunter would like for the start of an adventure.

"Hey lookie here, Northwind is back! It's been a while, how are things over in Telanidor?"

The grizzled privateer stopped and looked at everyone, sat down at the bar, grabbed an empty mug and said "Fill 'er up! I could use a pint of the usual."

"I guess Telanidor isn't so great then, heh," the barkeep replied, pouring the privateer some fine Luscartian Rum.

"Eh, it's nothing special, and Izkaldan doesn't have a tavern to match this," replied the privateer, receiving the rum from the barkeep. He took an unnaturally large gulp, coughed a couple times and wheezed for a moment.

"Hey, slow down there..."

After a short pause the privateer continued, "Ah, this is the good stuff. Anyway, I met this fine young lady, and I kind of forgot what I was there for."

"Uh oh, that can't be good."

"Hey! Well, you're right I guess. I think I'm losing my touch."

"You're also losing your mind," the barkeep remarked.

The privateer laughed and said, "But I still have my instinct, you see."

"Ah yes, you still seem to have that. Not sure that it's a good thing, but you speak the truth."

The privateer took another gulp of rum. He sighed and looked forward with a blank stare as someone else hobbled through the entrance and sat next to him. It was a young man with unkept brown hair, wrinkled clothes, and a notable faint blue glow coming from his half-open vest pocket.

"To instinct," the privateer said in a humble tone, raising his mug.

"Yes, to instinct," the barkeep replied, having a toast with the weathered privateer and finishing what remained of the bottle.

----------------------------------------------------------------

After a minute or so, the barkeep inquired to the newcomer, "Hey stranger, what will you have?"

"Oh, that. Uh, I don't know, how is your water?"

"Water? You can probably find better water out there if you're willing to stick your head in the ocean. Here we serve... better, things. Here, you look like you've been through a lot, I'll give you a glass on me because I'm in a good mood."

"Thanks I guess. I already had my head in the ocean, I don't really want to do it again."

"Hm, you're indeed an odd fellow. Don't worry, we get a lot of people like you here. Like Gero, see?"

"Gero?"

The privateer looked up and the barkeep gestured toward him, "Yes, this here is Gero Northwind. May I ask what your name is?"

"Ethan Nighthawk... I'm not from around here as I'm sure you can see."

"Nighthawk? That's an unusual name, where is it from?"

"I don't remember my original name, but that's the name I was given by the people of Zolandor. The nighthawk is important in their lore, and it's apparently an honor to be named after one. I kept the name because they helped me, and frankly I like the sound of it."

Gero sat up, "Zolandor? I remember a Zolandor I think... A colony of outlanders who cut themselves off from the world's troubles?"

Ethan replied, "Yes, I guess that describes them alright."

The barkeep leaned forward with an inquisitive look on his face. "How did you end up here? Zolandor is all the way on the far side of the world!"

Gero interjected, "I'm not sure about that, barkeep. If only there were a willing crew, I'd like to prove that if you go far enough west you can end up in Zolandor."

"That's crazy, you'd find terrible beasts at the edge, where you would fall to your doom! I know that because many have come here saying that they saw the edge for themselves."

"Well then I guess you'll add me to that list someday," Gero replied, winking at the barkeep.

"Instinct... Oh, sorry kid, continue your story."

"Well I couldn't stay in that village, as friendly as the people were. Just not my thing to stay in one place, and I heard of wonders to the north, so I headed up to that kingdom... Uh, Aderon is what they called it. A lot happened there, but to make a long story short, I was forced to leave not long after I arrived. I went through the desert, and more... circumstances came up. I almost didn't make it, but I guess you could say that a monsoon saved me. Anyway, I was compelled to avoid that western kingdom of Forlon. For some reason I knew that I was being followed, and I didn't want to stick around to see by who or why. I went to the most logical destination, that port city, where I was a stowaway on a trader's ship. Something happened and the ship was attacked. I grabbed onto a loose plank and escaped before the ship sank into the depths. I didn't see any attackers, which was weird, but I knew that someone intended to sink that vessel. I floated on the plank for a while and thought I was done for, but then I saw land to the west and started swimming. I came ashore and found this place... And here I am. Pardon me for my appearance and rather grim outlook, but it's been rough lately."

Gero and the barkeep looked at each other blankly. Then Gero noticed something...

"Hey, kid... Mind if I ask what's in your pocket?"

"Oh, this? A stone of some sort that I found in the sand that was washed away by the monsoon. Hm, weird, I haven't seen it do this before."

"Not often do stones glow, lad," the barkeep remarked, looking at the blue stone that Ethan pulled from his pocket.

"Okay kid, I need to get you out of here," said Gero, picking up his hat and moving to the door.

Almost sarcastically, Ethan said under his breath, "And the chase continues."

"Hey Gero! What are you talking about, remember all the rum that you had..." called the barkeep.

Gero turned around and said in a positive tone, with the hint of a smile on his face, "Instinct calls."
Posted Image

#11 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:09 AM

Fate Beckons

"Hey Ethan, we're almost there, give me a hand up here will you? The storm is really giving us a battle of its own. Don't worry, your stalkers are nowhere in sight and a battle during this weather would be pointless."

Ethan stepped onto the deck of Gero's ship, Horizon's Rose, and stumbled over himself as a wave crashed into the starboard side of the hull. He picked himself up and called out to Gero, his voice muted by the wind.

"What was that?" Gero called back.

Again Ethan called to Gero, his voice swept away by the storm. He pointed toward the port side, and Gero looked over just in time to notice a green and yellow fireball screaming toward his ship. Both sailors grabbed onto the nearest secured objects just as the orb struck the ship's hull, exploding on contact and collapsing two of the masts.

"Ethan!" Gero screamed at the top of his lungs, "Where did that come from?!"

Ethan screamed as well, the hint of his voice sounding worried and confused. Just then two more fireballs appeared, both coming from a common location but seemingly from a ship hidden in the storm. Both Ethan and Gero held on again as one shot blew the bow of the ship into the abyss and the other barely missed another mast. Gero righted himself and manned the stern's technologically augmented bow cannon. He aimed it in the direction of the fireballs' origin and started firing mortars. One-by-one the mortars were blasted into the darkness, replaced alternatively on either side of the cannon by the batteries under the deck. The cannon's usual rolling and clicking sounds were completely muffled by the storm. The mortars plunged into the depths silently, missing their elusive mark every time.

Another fireball appeared from the same point behind the storm's veil. It crashed through the hull of the ship and water began to rush in with great force.

With hesitation Gero whispered, "I didn't think it would end this way... I know that it's customary for a captain to go down with his ship, however I'm afraid that I can't go quite yet."

Two more fireballs became visible through the rain.

"You've been a fine ship, but I'm afraid I must disembark, lest the world also suffer your abysmal fate."

One fireball screamed overhead while the other took down the remaining mast. The ship began to turn over, sinking toward its watery tomb. Gero ran toward Ethan, dodging a pile of barrels that tipped over with the recent strike.

"Hey kid, can you swim?"

Ethan nodded, and looked toward yet another shot aimed toward Gero's wrecked ship.

"Ethan, it's a tragedy but there's no honor in staying," Gero remarked, looking toward the stern, "she cannot sustain more damage and the fire keeps coming."

The fireball flew overhead, narrowly missing the deck.

"Time to go."

Gero threw Ethan into the black water, diving in after him and swimming away from the ship. Two blasts could be heard from behind, tearing through the hull of the ship with debris falling into the water. Gero turned around in the water and watched as a fire reached the supply hold, igniting barrels of gunpowder and blowing his ship to pieces. With hesitation, he turned and followed Ethan toward the east, seeking an elusive shoreline that must be near.
Posted Image

#12 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:43 PM

The Benefits of a Good Breakfast

Here at what one may consider the shores of Eternity itself, the sky was a solid blue from horizon to horizon. The white sand glistened as Sol crept upward once again, and the gulls started diving into the blue sea in search of the day's first meal. The wind was blowing gently toward the land with a hint of salt in the air. A few planks were scattered, and an unusual cannon was somehow washed onto the beach. One human was lying on this beach asleep, motionless and facing the sky. There was what appeared to be a drag mark from the sea itself to his location.

As the tide started to rise, the water eventually reached the man's boots. Then an abnormally large wave came and washed right over him.

Coughing, the man yelled, "No! What are you doing, you can't take th... Huh?"

He stood very suddenly, and shook off the wet sand that covered his back.

"Why does this keep happening?" he said to himself, "Gero? Where did you go?"

Gero, standing nearby, seemed quite amused by Ethan's confusion. He walked up and replied, "Right here kid."

Ethan was visibly startled. He turned toward Gero and remarked, "Just tell me what's happening. What is this blasted rock, who is chasing me, and how exactly did I end up in the drink again? Oh, and where are we? What are those?"

"Slow down Ethan," Gero nodded, "Everything's fine. However, the only answers I know are that we're on Forlon's shoreline, and these are some clams that I fished up for breakfast. They're good, here, have one."

"No thanks."

"More for me then!" Gero replied, cracking a clam open.

Ethan pulled the rock out of his pocket and stared at it for a while, then looked up to the sky. "Hey Gero, this rock changed colors," he finally remarked.

"Changed colors?" Gero said while eating a clam, "It still looks blue to me."

"I know, but it's a different kind of blue. It looks like it changes colors to whatever is the sky's shade."

Gero dropped the clams and stood up suddenly. Surprised, Gero inquired, "Are you sure... Is it just reflecting the light, or did it actually change colors?"

"I don't know, why..."

"Oh, nothing, it's just curiosity I guess. Nothing to be... worried about," Gero said. Then something else caught his eye, also reflecting the sky's light. "Ethan! What is that on your shoulder!"

Ethan turned his head, straining his neck to see a very small metallic object stuck to his sleeve. He plucked it off and gave it to Gero.

Gero studied it for a moment and came to a conclusion, "Ethan, I know who's been chasing you. This is a transmitter used by Corrorian operatives. You surely have a Corrorian stalking you... No, no he's not after you. You have a Corrorian after that stone."

"Well then let's throw it into the ocean! I'm tired of this, it's not worth holding onto this worthless rock, even if it looks unusual, and even if it's worth a lot of Cinii."

Ethan grabbed the stone and readied himself to throw it into the deep, when Gero grabbed his arm. He retorted, "No, we can't let them have it. I don't know what it is and frankly I don't care. If the Corrorians want it, I will do what I can to keep it from them. They're dangerous and can't be trusted, and they're dealing with mysterious stuff that no one understands. That rock is probably a piece of their formula, for whatever they are trying to accomplish."

"No, really. I think I can see that they're dangerous, and I would rather them go after someone else."

Gero released Ethan and hurled the transmitter into the ocean. Then he looked toward Ethan with a sarcastic smile, "There, now they won't be chasing you. Put that rock back in your pocket."

Just then, a flash of light out at sea caught the attention of both Gero and Ethan. Another all-too-familiar fireball was screaming toward the beach.

"Ethan, run!"

Without hesitation, Ethan started moving to the east to get as far away from the beach as possible. Gero looked out to sea and finally got a view of his attacker, in a class-2 hovercruiser. Gero ran to the cannon that was on the beach, which happened to be the same technologically enhanced bow cannon that he used during the first attack. The fireball crashed onto the beach, sending sand into the air and leaving behind a large crater. Gero gathered the projectiles scattered all around the cannon, and loaded it in an attempt to return fire. Two more fireballs could be seen, visibly aimed further up in an attempt to strike Ethan. Why should a Corrorian worry about a privateer who sailed a wooden ship?

"I hope these neutronium bombs still have their kick. I also hope this cannon still works so they don't create a lake where I'm standing."

The two fireballs struck the land behind Gero, leaving two craters in an otherwise grassy field. Both missed their mark. After loading the cannon, Gero aimed the tilted gun which was half-buried in sand. He released the trigger and sent a mortar toward the cruiser, now visible unlike the night before. The mortar barely missed its mark.

"At least I'm still here."

The lone Corrorian on the deck of the cruiser seemed startled, and went below for protection. A ball of lead will merely dent a Corrorian ship, but it would still hurt if it hits someone.

"Heh, it seems that he doesn't know what that was. Crazy me with a sailor's hat is flinging lead at the Corrorians! What could an Entarcan possibly think of doing against their invincible ship?"

Gero launched another mortar into the air, and mocked the Corrorians with a comical whistling noise. The mortar struck, and a blinding light flashed from the Corrorian ship. Ethan turned around, startled, and Gero grinned as he watched two halves of the cruiser sink into the same abyss that claimed Horizon's Rose.

After a moment, Gero turned and ran toward Ethan. When he reached Ethan he said, "Wow, you run fast. Hey, uh, the Forlonians aren't too friendly either. They probably know we're here, so we'd better head out. I'm sorry, but we're crossing the desert, as much as I know you hated it the first time."

Ignoring everything Gero said and still watching the sinking Corrorian ship, Ethan inquired, "What did you do?"

"Kid, surprise or technology can help win a war but they're not everything. However, when you have surprise and technology... 'Technology' being smuggled starship-class explosives... And a good breakfast, you can conquer anything."

"Well you're leaving your breakfast behind."

"Oh, those clams?" Gero asked while pulling out a flask of rum, "You call those breakfast?"
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users