• {lang:view_blog}
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:33 AM

We already have wind farms
    Gore is an idiot
    we already have crappy solar plants
    (cost effective)photovoltaic cells are extremely inefficient
    we had a mini ice age in the dark ages
    my step uncle has a website/blog about how vegetation is causing global warming
    I think my step uncle is a little.... "special"
    coal takes hundreds of thousands of years to make (probably longer)
    oil takes millions
    we have been irrigating our "wastelands" for millions of years
    we don't have enough fresh water to irrigate the entire friggin planet
    taking the salt out of that much water would take so much energy that it would defeat it's purpose
    that SBS programme nuu was talking about was idiotic
More importantly, INDIVIDUAL PEOPLE need to start taking responsibility for pollution. Buy those energy saving light bulbs. It cuts down on your energy bill by using less power and not generating much heat that your has to AC cool down. Drive smaller cars.... etc etc

I'm too lazy to organize my thoughts into an intelligent post right now... so meh

#17 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Neraphym {lang:icon}

• Do not want!
  • Icon
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE(Jake @ Apr 13 2007, 10:33 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
we have been irrigating our "wastelands" for millions of years

Come again? bluetongue.gif

Anyways, a strange possibility for reducing warmth on the planet can be done without any change in the quantity of pollution. We could build a satellite to block a tiny portion of the suns rays (around a tenth of a percent, I believe it is...). This would reduce the amount of energy comming into the system, and effectively solving our problems.
Neraphym Archaeon
Posted Image
GWAMM

#18 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Jake {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:23 AM

And effectively screwing up a delicately balanced weather system and causing god knows what...

I meant to say thousands of years... but I was tired. And said millions. Yay me.

#19 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Neraphym {lang:icon}

• Do not want!
  • Icon

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:35 AM

Now I wont say there would be no negative effects, but it's not like our weather system is as fragile as you say it is.
Neraphym Archaeon
Posted Image
GWAMM

#20 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Jake {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

I don't mean that % .1 less energy is going to "break" weather. It's just that right now, we are just beginning to understand how this planet works under normal conditions. If we tamper with it too much we could end up throwing things way out of line.

#21 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_gallery}
  • Group: Administrator

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:33 AM

What solid evidence is there against CO2's link to global warming? What solid evidence is there that the CO2 we're sending up doesn't have an effect? Many blow off global warming as a hoax, simply because logic makes it seem impossible or because it would be a pain to do anything about it. Then people reach for explanations such as cycles, with no real foundation in the present. We're in more control than I think many believe, both for good and for bad.

This time the stakes are really high, and I think the situation needs to be taken into serious consideration. If global warming is as bad as the charts predict, once it's too late, it will really be too late. Then I guess hindsight will be 20/20, but why not have foresight while we can still do something about it?
Posted Image

#22 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Neraphym {lang:icon}

• Do not want!
  • Icon

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:49 AM

I'll believe a scientiest over a hundred thousand politicians. bluetongue.gif When scientists are saying that global warming is true and many politicians are saying its a hoax... well, you can guess who I'm gonna believe. Exact same thing goes for evolution and ID.
Neraphym Archaeon
Posted Image
GWAMM

#23 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Atilla {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • Group: Member

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE(Nuu™™ @ Apr 13 2007, 08:09 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
QUOTE(Atilla @ Jan 28 2007, 07:13 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
We can push hard for Gore to run for president again.

Has anyone else seen An Inconvenient Truth?

You know Al Gore's 'estate' as I believe it is called emits twenty times more carbon dioxide than the average American household, which would have to be a hell of a lot.

Citation, please. The only thing I've read about the criticism of his 'estate' is that it uses twenty times more energy than the average American household, so they say "oh, he's just contributing to global warming since energy comes from burning fossil fuels."

His 'estate' utilizes 100 percent green energy, according to him and his secretary.
<b>(\__/)</b>
<b>(='.'=)</b> This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
<b>(")_(")</b> him on his way to world domination.

#24 {lang:macro__useroffline}   ©allum {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:31 AM

It's on snopes
Posted Image

#25 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Atilla {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:49 PM

Well after going through and researching this a bit more (even though that article was extremely biased), it does appear that he utilizes natural gas for this mansion. Natural Gas is the cleanest of all fossil fuels that are burned, but yeah it still puts out a hefty amount of CO2.

Oh well. Obama '08!
<b>(\__/)</b>
<b>(='.'=)</b> This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
<b>(")_(")</b> him on his way to world domination.

#26 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Aaron {lang:icon}

• Hai
  • Icon

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(Atilla @ Apr 18 2007, 01:49 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
Well after going through and researching this a bit more (even though that article was extremely biased), it does appear that he utilizes natural gas for this mansion. Natural Gas is the cleanest of all fossil fuels that are burned, but yeah it still puts out a hefty amount of CO2.

Oh well. Obama '08!

Aye. It's a shame he won't win. I seriously doubt that America is ready for a non-white president or woman president.

#27 {lang:macro__useroffline}   ©allum {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:16 PM

I hear that said alot, but I'm not really sure why America is not ready for a female or black president... Can someone tell me why they think this is, because I don't really think it makes a difference. I live in a country where the current prime minister is female, and she does as bad a job as any male can.
Posted Image

#28 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Neraphym {lang:icon}

• Do not want!
  • Icon

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:10 PM

Racists and sexist people... and in large numbers. America has lots if ignorent ****tards, and if a black/woman/non-christian/midgit president were to come to power, they'd end up getting killed by the KKK/Aryan Brotherhood/Death2Midgits organizations.
Neraphym Archaeon
Posted Image
GWAMM

#29 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Aaron {lang:icon}

• Hai
  • Icon

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:02 PM

Alpha put it correctly in extreme terms bluetongue.gif . America is still too full of racial and gender tensions. I think when Generation X and Y become the age of Baby Boomers today, a minority or female president will have a good chance of being elected. It's mainly a generational issue, but there plenty of young bigots.

#30 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Rohtaren {lang:icon}

• no chief big fart
  • Icon
  • Group: New Member

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:38 PM

here's an idea that might be a little stupid and would be really expensive, which might be why the US isn't doing it. air filters that remove the carbon from CO2. i've seen them in certain air tanks for diving and i think they had some of them in the space shuttles. and, if we can do anything about it, fix that whole in the ozone layer over austarlia.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users