• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Bad Is The American School System?

#1 {lang:macro__useroffline}   ticktockclok {lang:icon}

• Retro Week!
  • Icon
  • Group: New Member

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:02 AM

This article could start off a nice debate.
And now we have the quote of the day, from greenl2l: PLONGED!!!
IPB Image

#2 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Aaron {lang:icon}

• Hai
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_gallery}
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:44 AM

This man is awesome. I really couldn't have put it better myself. I feel the exact same way about the education system!

#3 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Neraphym {lang:icon}

• Do not want!
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:26 AM

He pretty much summed it up, although I must say I appreciated some of the things I learned in sex ed. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll start working mindlessly on my english paper.
Neraphym Archaeon
Posted Image
GWAMM

#4 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Darkness {lang:icon}

• CHILDREN!
  • Icon

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:22 PM

He went to a rather extreme level of it and bent the truth slightly, but I suppose the gist of it was right bluetongue.gif

“In the valley of hope, there is no winter.”

#5 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Skyone {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • Group: New Member

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:52 PM

Well put

#6 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Bespetna {lang:icon}

• JOIN THE PARY I CAN PROVIDE THE ARMY
  • Icon
  • Group: Member

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:07 AM

He put the text right out of my key board :/.
School system is messed up. I hate the quantity methoud and would rather take the quality methoud. School is just so boaring becouse I hate having to memorise things ans stick them in my head just so I can pass the next test. I whant to learn about theings that I like and will need to know in the future.

High school for me is a huge wast of time and the only thing I am focused on is passing untill I cab finnaly learn on what I whant.

Everything they teach me in school is poorly teached and is just focused about getting a ton of usless info and putting it into our brains. Then mabe 2 weeks later everyone forgets it and it is a huge WAST OF TIME.

Ex: Biology, Geomatry-Calculuse
All these things should not be learned in a high school but should be learnd in a collage or Job program.

Simply: For me high school is a huge wast of time and all I care about is passing. What is not a huge wast of time is learning about your future job proffession.

In high school they should teach you ORGANIZED basics of things that EVERYONE will normally use in the future.

^^PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG ASAP!

Visit Bespetna.com you will find a lot of cool things waiting for you there

#7 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Elvenblader {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • Group: Member

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:02 PM

I'll have to agree with this guy's article about how the school system has favored quantity over quality. But also at the same time, if a person were to deviate and become an individual with his own opinion, own thoughts and own mind, but yet he still was successful and worked for the system? Would that make him another drone of the state? At times it seems like we're nothing but robots and drones of the state system, but at times you have to work from the inside to bring upon change for the greater good. My point, educating yourself is not just about how many facts, figures, and numbers you can remember, education is a journey with one's self through learning and gaining a greater understanding of your existence upon this world. Gaining knowledge shouldn't be a race but a journey that you yourself enjoy and take part of.

But also look at this, his article resembles a similar "Fight the man, be an individual" kind of article. At the same time he is conforming to a system that challenges you to go against everything you think is right and try to be that black sheep in the flock. But throughout the world there are many black sheep that are delivering the same message of "Fight the man, be an individual." So in a sense, even though he tries to be an individual with a stand alone complex, he is at the same time identifying and resembling the rare individualist of today and of past generations. The question you should ask yourself is, "Is what I'm doing, truly original, or did someone already do something like this before?"

All in all, education in some area's of America is compartmentalized and exchanges quantity for quality while the small percentage of people that can't/won't keep up are left behind. Honestly, I think the standards should be raised and the bar of education be improved rather than try to get as much knowledge into someone's noggin and hope it sticks there. Quality over quantity.

A Proud Member of the VGVN

One World, One People

"A Bullet Between the Eyes Equals Ultimate Demise" -Insane_Maniac-

#8 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Aaron {lang:icon}

• Hai
  • Icon

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE(Elvenblader @ Mar 1 2007, 09:02 AM) {lang:macro__view_post}
Quality over quantity.

I agree wholeheartedly. I also don't believe that homework, tests, or anything should exist. I wish school would be more of a discussion group full of people who thirst for knowledge and want to discuss the subject matter. Unfortunately, most people aren't like that and only wish to get out of school to go {expletive ninja'd by Cspace} their girlfriend/boyfriend and get drunk. So, we must have tests to see if people really were paying attention.

#9 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Jake {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:58 PM

ll in all, education in some area's of America is compartmentalized and exchanges quantity for quality while the small percentage of people that can't/won't keep up are left behind.

Sadly, in most of the schools I've been too (a lot) they tend to keep the smarter kids at the same pace as the dumb/lazy kids. It's really not fair to the people with actual potential and the will to use it.

I've been to 7 different schools and they all did the same thing.

#10 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Res {lang:icon}

• Ol' Crazy Res
  • Icon

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:23 AM

Thing of it is, it all changes when you get to college. (Around here at least.) In my classes, I'm stuck with the {expletive ninja'd by Cspace}tards who only care about making the teacher mad. Because -they're- not paying for it. Their parents put them there. But once you reach college, you're either paying out your {expletive antidisestablishmentarianized by Cspace}, or you have a scholarship that you have to work to keep paying for you. Slip up, they kick you to the curb.

In response to you, Elvenblader, take this example.

When my father got out of highschool, he attended college. He didn't do so well on the college level and dropped out repeatedly. (I say repeatedly because he went back four times.) After the fourth time, he finally quit and went to work for my granddad (Mothers dad.) After a few years of working in the ground with pipes and stuff in a water business, he worked his way up and took ownership of it. Around this area, it was quite a successful business.

Now then. Remember that this is a man who dropped out of college. It gets better.

He has repeatedly gone against the local police jury because of... "stupid" decisions they make. You talk about slaves of society? It's these people. They'll take options that are cheap now and damaging in the long run, other than take steps that cost a bit now, but will greatly improve things in the future. Because it costs less. He ran for head of the police jury twice, but lost both times because his ideas were too.. 'difficult' I suppose. People in this town were too lazy to do anything.

Finally, someone took note and started working out ideas he had. They're in progress right now.

Another thing. He took a risk and opened his own business which is what he's owned and run by himself for over seven years.

All from a fellow who dropped out of college, but does his best to try and work for society. He is the farthest thing from a drone I know.
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be "The One".
Born to bear and read to all the details of our ending
To write it down for all the world to see.

#11 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Darkness {lang:icon}

• CHILDREN!
  • Icon

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:16 AM

It seems a lot of people agree with the dude who wrote this simply because he sounds smart and uses big words that sound like they're probably right. I actually read the whole thing this time and half the stuff he says is crap o.O Though I do agree, homework and stuff is done to an excess amount. Schools -do- go for quantity over quality far too much bluetongue.gif

#12 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Res {lang:icon}

• Ol' Crazy Res
  • Icon

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:25 AM

You must think his post is crap because you obviously live in a pristine community where the school system isn't half bad.

See, I'm in Louisiana. Our Education rating is 45th out of the 50 states. Looking up your state, Darkness, you appear to be rated among 33 out of 50. It may not be a massive leap, but you're area does seem to have a higher standing than my particular area. I would love for you to come to my high school for a week and observe the atmosphere and general human ATTITUDE.

Trust me. You'll lose your mind faster than I did. Therapy is just barely starting to work.

Just as a quick edit for some of those state ratings for some of the members I know are from.

No particulars, just a statement. (This rating ranks school systems statewide from a 2005-2006 survey and test results.)

Rank #1: Vermont - Score (18.57)

Rank #10: Pennsylvania - Score (8.69)

Rank #18: Maryland - Score (2.27)

Rank #26: South Carolina* - Score (-1.19)

Rank #38: Utah - Score (-6.30)

Rank #45: Louisiana - Score (-10.95)
---------
Just thought I'd share that you're in a rather highly ranked State, Darkness. He's actually hitting the nail on the head with my Nazi infested, emo-run, jock-worshiping, mud-digging, whore-chasing high school.

K, thx.

*I actually plan to move to South Carolina when I'm old enough to move out.

#13 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Darkness {lang:icon}

• CHILDREN!
  • Icon

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:38 AM

Woah. *wonders what state number one for the education rating thing is*

EDIT: Oh, in your edit it seems you've answered that ShiftyEyes_anim.gif

But if the quality of the school system varies so much just between states, and in some places the schools may be deemed 'acceptable' while in others they cause you to lose your mind, perhaps this should be called 'How Bad is the Louisiana School System?' (or some other state, if you so wish it), as American implies the whole country (as it should) and because of this, the quality of all of the schools within must be taken account, not just the bad parts of it. I will not say that your school isn't as bad as you say it is, because for all I know, it probably is. But the whole system cannot be judged by your school alone. It can't even be judged by all of the bad parts of it all together. The problem with what this guy said is that all he mentioned was bad things about the schools. How can you judge something if you look at only one side of the coin...?

#14 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Res {lang:icon}

• Ol' Crazy Res
  • Icon

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:45 AM

Well if you look at it that way, of course.

There's really no looking at what's acceptable anymore. If you want to get down to the nittygritty, you blame (This sounds cheesy) society. But when you're subjected to things that actually appear to be so horrid, wrong, heinous and downright despicable acts of intolerance, racism, nazism, and just about whatever else that makes you want to heave, education is honestly the last on my list of things to worry about. It's getting mugged and worrying about the guy that threatened to jump me on my way home.

I'm going on that, not education. As he cramped in the school system itself and how Administration has no power against anything that happens (Be in nitpicky parents or people who threaten to sue your {expletive antidisestablishmentarianized by Cspace} off if you mess up.) The general state of the in-school community makes you focus on that alone.

Off topic: I swear, Optimus Prime would make such short work of all of them. Too bad Hot Rod messed things up or he'd still be alive today to take care of them all....

... One day..

#15 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Darkness {lang:icon}

• CHILDREN!
  • Icon

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:09 AM

So... you're saying that what you don't like about the school systems is their inability to properly control those who probably shouldn't be in the schools? Like, as you said, the people who you're trying to avoid getting mugged by or the dude who threatened to jump you on your way home (not sure if these were actual examples from your real life, but they work well as examples for the discussion bluetongue.gif )?

If that's what you mean, then perhaps we should be going back to the 1800s when the teachers were free to punish you as frequently and as harshly as they liked. That may be a bit extreme, but the Bill of Rights has, in effect, made it impossible to use harsh physical punishment for disciplinary actions. And judging as how those sort of things are probably the only effective way to keep such people under control, this flaw in the school systems can be traced back to the Constitution itself, so we may as well argue that not only the schools are crap, but America itself is tainted. Again, perhaps a little extreme, but it seems to me that there is no plausible fix for this situation.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users