CurvedSpace Forums: Zune Or IPOD - CurvedSpace Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • {lang:pm_locked} This topic is locked

Zune Or IPOD

Poll: Zune or Ipod? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Zune or Ipod?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Bespetna {lang:icon}

• JOIN THE PARY I CAN PROVIDE THE ARMY
  • Icon
  • Group: Member

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:47 PM

Well, my friend has a Zune and its pritty cool. But most people have an IPOD wich also looks cool :/. They bot cost the same and have the same about of gigs. I also just so happen have 300$ I wanna spend and bought all the games I need for my XBOX360 alredy.

So what should I get a Zone or an Ipod?
Tell me what you like or dislike about one or the other

^^PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG ASAP!

Visit Bespetna.com you will find a lot of cool things waiting for you there

#2 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Skyone {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • Group: New Member

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:54 PM

Zune, IPOD's stink...I got a Zune my-self bluetongue.gif

#3 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Neraphym {lang:icon}

• Do not want!
  • Icon
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:11 AM

*doesn't care enough about music to buy iPods and such until all forms of DRM go extinct.*
Neraphym Archaeon
Posted Image
GWAMM

#4 {lang:macro__useroffline}   PissedBuddha {lang:icon}

• The zombies are breaking through our defenses!
  • Icon

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:37 AM

Ipod, the zune reeks of microsoft and you literally have to pay about 20 or 30 bucks a month for the zunes subscription service.

For Ipod, there is no subscription service, all songs cost 1 dollar each.

sigh... why did microsoft have to do this.... apple was finally making a comeback.... but now alot of people are going to be interested in a zune.... it makes me sad....

no... your not supposed to get it, that makes it funny.

#5 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Phieta {lang:icon}

• Not impressed, darling.
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_gallery}

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE(noisetank @ Mar 15 2007, 05:37 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
Ipod, the zune reeks of microsoft and you literally have to pay about 20 or 30 bucks a month for the zunes subscription service.

sigh... why did microsoft have to do this.... apple was finally making a comeback.... but now alot of people are going to be interested in a zune.... it makes me sad....

Actually, the "Zune Pass" is $14.99/month, not "about 20 or 30 bucks a month." They also 'sell' (and I use the term 'sell' loosely; it's still DRM-based like the iTunes Music Store) individual tracks for about the same price that Apple charges. I dislike Microsoft as much as the next guy, but if you're going to bash them, be fair about it.

And while I personally don't use any DRM-based service, I'd actually prefer the subscription-based model if I had to choose one. See, you never truly own download-to-own DRMed content. The most you own is a license to use said content in very specific ways. The DRM prevents you from doing anything else with it. Want to remove the DRM? Feel free, but you'll (usually) end up with either a lower-quality copy or one that takes up more space on your hard drive. If you live in the US, you'll be breaking a federal law in the process. (Many other countries have similar laws.) But with a subscription-based service... well, you're still stuck with the DRM, but at least you're told up front that all you're really doing is leasing the content. There's no pretense that you've bought anything. In summary... less bull{expletive hax0rd by Cspace}.

Of course, you could always be like me... buy CDs, download free promotional tracks, and give the proverbial finger to the MAFIAA. You can do this regardless of whether you get a Zune, an iPod, or... whatever else, really. (I have an iriver H320 running Rockbox, and am quite happy with it.)

Oh, and... "Apple was finally making a comeback"?! Thanks to Apple, most people aren't even aware non-iPod players exist; if they are aware, they don't realize that 'iPod' is a brand name, not a generic term. Kinda like how most people call all portable audio cassette players "Walkmen" whether or not they're Sony-made.

Anyhoo, I haven't actually used a Zune, and I don't know what you're looking for in the way of features anyway, so I won't recommend one over the other.
Those who will remember, will speak fondly of the warm morning breeze.

#6 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Jake {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:39 AM

Get a Zen from Creative.

No DRM
Good features
You get to laugh at the idoits who ask "Is that the new ipod?"

#7 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Dragonman {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:09 PM

I have a Zune, and it works fine, I'd recommend it.. It would of course be better if more people had it, because then I could finally use the "Zune to Zune" feature and send songs/pictures to other people near me.
Posted Image

"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."
--K

#8 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Troll {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:11 PM

MP3 Player.

#9 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon
  • Group: Administrator

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

I have an iRiver which I like, but they don't make it anymore so I won't talk about it. bluetongue.gif

Due to circumstances, though, I tried both the Zune and iPod when someone I know ended up buying both (intending to return one after trying them, I didn't have anything to do with it biglaugh.gif ). Apart from the services for each, which I haven't tried, the Zune seems to be more solid than the iPod. It has a somewhat better screen and plays music basically as well as the iPod. The only potential downside in my opinion is that it's a little bigger, which may be a turnoff for some.

The person ended up keeping the Zune, and I would have chosen it as well.

It's all up to what you're looking for, but the iPod isn't necessarily the best thing out there. I've also heard good things about the Zen, if you're still looking around.
Posted Image

#10 {lang:macro__useroffline}   wibble {lang:icon}

• Advanced Member
  • Icon

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:01 PM

i love my zen touch, the battery lasts forever and it plays music!

#11 {lang:macro__useroffline}   PissedBuddha {lang:icon}

• The zombies are breaking through our defenses!
  • Icon

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE(Phieta @ Mar 16 2007, 06:20 AM) {lang:macro__view_post}
QUOTE(noisetank @ Mar 15 2007, 05:37 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}

Actually, the "Zune Pass" is $14.99/month, not "about 20 or 30 bucks a month." They also 'sell' (and I use the term 'sell' loosely; it's still DRM-based like the iTunes Music Store) individual tracks for about the same price that Apple charges. I dislike Microsoft as much as the next guy, but if you're going to bash them, be fair about it.

And while I personally don't use any DRM-based service, I'd actually prefer the subscription-based model if I had to choose one. See, you never truly own download-to-own DRMed content. The most you own is a license to use said content in very specific ways. The DRM prevents you from doing anything else with it. Want to remove the DRM? Feel free, but you'll (usually) end up with either a lower-quality copy or one that takes up more space on your hard drive. If you live in the US, you'll be breaking a federal law in the process. (Many other countries have similar laws.) But with a subscription-based service... well, you're still stuck with the DRM, but at least you're told up front that all you're really doing is leasing the content. There's no pretense that you've bought anything. In summary... less bull{expletive hax0rd by Cspace}.

Of course, you could always be like me... buy CDs, download free promotional tracks, and give the proverbial finger to the MAFIAA. You can do this regardless of whether you get a Zune, an iPod, or... whatever else, really. (I have an iriver H320 running Rockbox, and am quite happy with it.)

Oh, and... "Apple was finally making a comeback"?! Thanks to Apple, most people aren't even aware non-iPod players exist; if they are aware, they don't realize that 'iPod' is a brand name, not a generic term. Kinda like how most people call all portable audio cassette players "Walkmen" whether or not they're Sony-made.

Anyhoo, I haven't actually used a Zune, and I don't know what you're looking for in the way of features anyway, so I won't recommend one over the other.

Oh sorry.... but what I meant by "apple was finally making a comeback", is that i meant it in general, not just in MP3 players, I thought now apple might be getting people to realize how much better there products are from microsofts products, and microsoft owns most of the computer marketshare.

But if the Zune beats the Ipod... a lot of people wont realize that (or at least the people who don't care much about computers),

no... your not supposed to get it, that makes it funny.

#12 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Jake {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:43 AM

Image and sound editing
Mac>PC

General office programs
Mac<PC

Gaming
Mac<PC

You have to give PCs some credit. Mac screwed themselves for a long time by only letting their OS run on their machines. This gave them reliability but there was a tradeoff in price (also, I'm pretty sure macs have no backwards compatability).
Now windows works on pretty much any PC made from a wide range of parts from any manufacturer that follows a few standards (your motherboard shouldn't be 5ft wide). This opens them up to innovation from many companies and drives prices down through competetion. This is good and all but it opens up alot of chances for alot of people to screw up *coughNividia'sVistadriverscough*.

Personally, I like* windows because of the games and hate it for the fact that it assumes its users cannot do a simple thing like NOT deleting random files. If something better comes along then Im all over it. *kicks Linux*

*Put up with

#13 {lang:macro__useroffline}   x.. {lang:icon}

• I Can't Decide On An Avatar
  • Icon

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE(LuCo^™ @ Mar 16 2007, 06:11 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
MP3 Player.

iamwithstupid.gif

<3 <3 <3

#14 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Bespetna {lang:icon}

• JOIN THE PARY I CAN PROVIDE THE ARMY
  • Icon

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

Well so fare its the Zune for me TheSmile.gif.

^^PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG ASAP!

Visit Bespetna.com you will find a lot of cool things waiting for you there

#15 {lang:macro__useroffline}   skenasis {lang:icon}

• A Fire Inside
  • Icon

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:34 AM

Quite frankly, if all you want is to be able to play music (which I always thought was the point of an mp3 player) then does it really matter what you get? Don't spend the money just because you have it, save it until something you REALLY want comes along.

However, for the sake of Zune vs iPod, I vote iPod simply because I like my black 1st-gen nano biglaugh.gif

Feed the plushie!
(Rayquaza plushie? WTF? It doesn't look anything like the other plushies!)

Through our bleeding we are one.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • {lang:pm_locked} This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users