CurvedSpace Forums: [Working] Guide For GM-Created Weapon Balancing - CurvedSpace Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • {lang:pm_locked} This topic is locked

[Working] Guide For GM-Created Weapon Balancing

#1 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • {lang:view_gallery}
  • Group: Administrator

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:25 PM

This will probably be tweaked more than once. thumb.gif

... But here's a guide to DS2 weapon balancing. All GMs should be familiar with this, because if they aren't, equipment could mess up the class balancing. Remember that a good GM doesn't feel obligated to consistently provide more and more powerful weapons! That leads to the end of balance. bluetongue.gif Instead, try to provide a variety of weapons, but don't get into the mindset that a good quest has to have better rewards than all before it. grnwink.gif

Also note that the numbers are weighted differently in DS2 than DS1. Again, the numbers are weighted differently, so please don't question them yet. ShiftyEyes_anim.gif GMs will need to convert DS1 weapons for this reason, but not until DS2 is actually ready.

Damage:

- Melee, Ranged, and Arcane labels for weapons are referring to their damage types. Ranged weapons are not actually "ranged", they're just a different damage type that can be mitigated differently (although there are ranged abilities, but they're another matter).

- Melee weapons can be dual-wielded by Myrmidons. Ranged weapons can be dual-wielded by Gunmen. Arcane weapons can be dual-wielded by Enchanters and Specters. Rangers can dual-wield one Melee weapon and one Ranged weapon. A Devotion ability will allow two-handed weapons to be dual-wielded.

- Relative damage is equal for all three types of weapons. Their main difference is that many abilities boost the power of a specific type, while other abilities may mitigate damage from a specific type. Melee weapons are pretty basic (swords, axes, spears, etc.). Ranged weapons can be bows, guns, thrown weapons, and anything else along those lines. Arcane weapons can be wands, staves, orbs, and other similar equipment. Note that some Arcane weapons could be roleplayed as Ranged (such as wands), while others could be roleplayed as Melee (such as staves).

- Ranged weapons don't have ammunition. Ammunition would complicate things too much.

Normal One-Handed Weapon Damage: 1 - 370

Normal Two-Handed Weapon Damage: 1 - 520

Extraordinary One-Handed Weapon Damage: 370 - 500

Extraordinary Two-Handed Weapon Damage: 520 - 700

Anything above extraordinary is epic. Please check with me if a weapon will be more powerful than the "extraordinary" range.

Effects:

- Stat enhancements are the least sensitive effects on weapons. Since GMs shouldn't be outdoing themselves with each quest, if a weapon is given as a reward, it should have some stat enhancements for providing variety. Health, Mind, Stamina, and Affinity are the least sensitive, and should be the most common. Vitality, Will, Endurance, and Arcana can also be common, but their effects would vary based on a character's race. Constitution is sensitive and should not be common in weapons' enhancements. Strength and Accuracy bonuses are redundant on weapons, and should not be included. Also, Devotion and Understanding must not be influenced by equipment. Lastly, class points must only be boosted by stuff in the "Glyph" slot... Nothing else.

- Be careful with persistent effects. They must not conflict with class abilities or they'll just cause confusion. Truthfully, I'd stay away from persistent effects unless they're quest-specific.

- Innate abilities (abilities granted by equipment) should be handled with care. Many types of abilities are intended to be limited to specific class trees, and providing equipment as an alternative would endanger a tree's usefulness. Some examples of wrong abilities to link to weapons are ambidexterity, nodes, enchantments, curses, most abilities that break inductions, resurrection, stat conversions, and time travel. Some good abilities to link to weapons are heals, nukes, degeneration inductions (particularly poison and engulfing), rooting inductions, and strength/accuracy-boosting inductions.

- Mind damage is a very extraordinary effect to add to a weapon. Do not go crazy with Mind-damaging weapons, please. bluetongue.gif

Tips:

- If you want a reward weapon to be extraordinary, try to provide good stat enhancements, not just high damage.

- Vary the types of weapons you give. Don't just give Melee weapons, but also give Ranged and Arcane weapons.

- Don't make a habit of tailoring equipment specifically to whoever gets it. It may be tempting to give a Myrmidon an awesome sword, but don't hesitate to instead give him/her a Ranged or Arcane weapon. In terms of roleplaying, a grateful character may not have something for anyone, so it's okay. Also remember that most serious players will have alternate characters who could also use the equipment. It could also be traded with someone else.
Posted Image

#2 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Snowy {lang:icon}

• With this fire, we shall learn.
  • Icon
  • Group: Member

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:41 AM

Did I see the word guns? What kind of GUNS =O Dude, Cspizzle, IM or PM me or DM me, whatever, just do it. *has amazing ideas for guns*
Proof That Darky is, in fact, evil:
Snowy: Lo'.
Darky: The ' usually goes before the lo =P But hi!
Snowy: It was for loser. Not for hello.
Darky: ...
Snowy: XD
Darky: Don't make me kill you.
Snowy: =O With what? =P
Darky: My bare hands.
Rhesal's Page
My Darky Theory/My Nuu Theory/My Nazy Theory
QUOTE (Neraphym @ Apr 16 2008, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Omg, Snowy's back!!!!!!

QUOTE (JGJTan @ Apr 19 2008, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're like full of awesome sayings, Snowy. We all wish we could be just like you. Please be our leader!

Snowy: I want your babies.
Snowy: In my womb.

Darky: Kinky.
Rhesal Blizzard (DS2) NOT FINISHED
Nick McDizzle says:
If we hung out, I would get you laid.

*red+u Matt says:
*red+u Matt says:
You should move here.

#3 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:48 AM

QUOTE (Snowy @ Apr 23 2008, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did I see the word guns? What kind of GUNS =O Dude, Cspizzle, IM or PM me or DM me, whatever, just do it. *has amazing ideas for guns*

The most common guns outside starships are fired with powder. Even Corroria equips their soldiers with guns that shoot lead. Some expensive guns are energy-based, and of them laser, electron, and ion weapons are the most common. Plasma weapons are illegal, but some use them anyway. Anything else is pretty rare.

Hope that helps. thumb.gif

This guide will be obsolete when DS2 comes, since there won't be stats anymore and anyone can make their own weapons. You can get pretty creative now without having to worry about balance. Just thought I'd let you know.
Posted Image

#4 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Darkness {lang:icon}

• CHILDREN!
  • Icon
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:27 AM

-Lead-?

A civilization as advanced as Corroria? A civilization that has more than effective space technology?

AND THEY USE LEAD?!

... Noobs...

-All- of them.

I MEAN REALLY! THEY SUCK!

My hopes for Corroria are shattered.

I feel shamed to use a technology based character now. I'll feel like I'm using... *nauseous* A... modern... character... *cries at the thought*

REALLY, CSPACE! How -could- you?

Lead! For SHAME!

“In the valley of hope, there is no winter.”

#5 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE (Lord of the Dance @ Apr 23 2008, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-Lead-?

A civilization as advanced as Corroria? A civilization that has more than effective space technology?

AND THEY USE LEAD?!

... Noobs...

-All- of them.

I feel shamed to use a technology based character now. I'll feel like I'm using... *nauseous* A... modern... character... *cries at the thought*

Lead! For SHAME!

I'm talking about standard issue stuff. Corroria doesn't have unlimited resources. bluetongue.gif

The ordinary Corrorian soldier carries an automatic weapon that fires solid projectiles. Their guns are much more advanced than "modern" weapons even if they shoot lead. Depending on the specific gun, they can fire more quickly, more quietly, more accurately, and at a higher velocity.

Don't get the wrong idea though... Corroria invented most energy weapons. They're given to elite soldiers, and sold to others who want them. You can have a laser, ion, electron, or whatever other energy weapon if you want. thumb.gif

You'll see a correlation in who uses each kind, because while energy is clean and quick, lead is considered more brutal. Corroria is relentless. The Corrorian Rebels are utilitarian. The Aphorites prefer to show off technology. None are good, but the Corrorians are the darkest of the three and their weapons reflect that.
Posted Image

#6 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Darkness {lang:icon}

• CHILDREN!
  • Icon

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:35 PM

Eh, utilitarian? That's basically "the end justifies the means", right? Well. Since all of the sides in the Galactic Conflict appear to be corrupt, I think that there needs to be one that actually has -good- intentions XD Well. Good intentions, but not willing to do bad things to bring their good things to pass.

#7 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Kimojuno {lang:icon}

• W00T! :D
  • Icon
  • Group: Global Moderator

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (Lord of the Dance @ Apr 24 2008, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eh, utilitarian? That's basically "the end justifies the means", right? Well. Since all of the sides in the Galactic Conflict appear to be corrupt, I think that there needs to be one that actually has -good- intentions XD Well. Good intentions, but not willing to do bad things to bring their good things to pass.

The whole "Good v.s. Evil" thing is overplayed. bluetongue.gif

{lang:macro__view_post}Xmadole, on 09 August 2009 - 09:28 AM, said:

i wish i actually read the first post of threads.

Posted Image

#8 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Darkness {lang:icon}

• CHILDREN!
  • Icon

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:29 PM

Just because the majority of the real world is corrupt doesn't mean there's not still organizations that aren't. So there should be in the galactic conflict too XD

#9 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (Lord of the Dance @ Apr 24 2008, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's an ugly conflict. bluetongue.gif

You're right about the Corrorian Rebels. They look out for themselves and don't care about what happens to anyone else, just as long as it works out to the Rebels' advantage in the end. They get in the way of the Corrorians as well as the Aphorites, but tend to leave civilians alone unless they are rival pirates.

The Corrorians are secretive and powerful. Many Corrorians don't know what their empire is doing, and they are purposely misleading their people by giving false information. To their enemies, though, the Corrorians are relentless and aim to invoke fear. The good of the Corrorians is that they are protecting Earthia, even if it's ultimately just to protect themselves.

The Aphorites are somewhat fanatical right now. They want to get revenge on Corroria, and may even aim to attack Earthia as a response for the destruction of their planet. They used to be good, but they're really destructive right now.

If you want to have entirely good intentions, the best thing to do is to not become involved directly with any of the current factions. You can always commandeer a military vessel even if you aren't aligned with a particular side. thumb.gif
Posted Image

#10 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Snowy {lang:icon}

• With this fire, we shall learn.
  • Icon
  • Group: Member

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (Lord of the Dance @ Apr 23 2008, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-Lead-?

AND THEY USE LEAD?!

... Noobs...

-All- of them.

Lead! For SHAME!

I so win. bluetongue.gif

QUOTE (Lord of the Dance @ Apr 24 2008, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just because the majority of the real world is corrupt doesn't mean there's not still organizations that aren't. So there should be in the galactic conflict too XD

*cough* DASE */cough*
Proof That Darky is, in fact, evil:
Snowy: Lo'.
Darky: The ' usually goes before the lo =P But hi!
Snowy: It was for loser. Not for hello.
Darky: ...
Snowy: XD
Darky: Don't make me kill you.
Snowy: =O With what? =P
Darky: My bare hands.
Rhesal's Page
My Darky Theory/My Nuu Theory/My Nazy Theory
QUOTE (Neraphym @ Apr 16 2008, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Omg, Snowy's back!!!!!!

QUOTE (JGJTan @ Apr 19 2008, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're like full of awesome sayings, Snowy. We all wish we could be just like you. Please be our leader!

Snowy: I want your babies.
Snowy: In my womb.

Darky: Kinky.
Rhesal Blizzard (DS2) NOT FINISHED
Nick McDizzle says:
If we hung out, I would get you laid.

*red+u Matt says:
*red+u Matt says:
You should move here.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • {lang:pm_locked} This topic is locked