What Does "Member-Led" Really Mean?

#1 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • {lang:view_gallery}
  • Group: Administrator

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:53 PM

Members keep saying that the Order is member-led, but I don't think we really remember what that actually means.

I thought that I would explain, relating to a few different aspects of the guild...

Ranks

While this does not apply to every specific faction, our thing tends to be minimal hierarchy. In SeeD, for example, the only things a member can't do is start wars unless they're of the correct rank, and obviously everyone can't give promotions. Most of the ranks in SeeD are focus ranks... Like one that focuses on PKing, and another that focuses on recruiting. They aren't exclusive... They're more like titles.

Members really have a lot of capabilities in this sense. Leadership is an idea, not a rank. Any member can lead if he/she wants to lead. The ability to make wars is certainly not required for that. bluetongue.gif Heck, with the exception of some of the edits to pinned threads that I made, everything I'm doing in SeeD (the Runescape faction) can be done by anyone. I'm not joking, take a look at how the ranks are set up there.

The Order as a whole is not much different than that... Most of our ranks are focus ranks. bandit.gif

--------------------------------

Everyone Welcome

In general, we welcome any players into our guild regardless of skill or level. It used to be one of the things we always emphasized when recruiting. In Runescape, for example, we ended up with a wide range of members. There were those who were new to the game, and those who were way up there (like over level 100). The thing that made SeeD awesome was that the high-leveled members often helped the new players. This atmosphere, and the lack of many exclusive ranks, kept a lot of the elitist half-wits out of SeeD. Also, as a side effect, the new members tend to stick around as they grow in level...

How is this leadership? Anyone, regardless of level, can have the same capabilities as anyone else in our guild. Level may equate to leadership in a lot of guilds, but not here. In the Order, level doesn't equate to anything other than level.

--------------------------------

Organization

It seems to me that everyone forgot what they could organize or build within our guild and community. I wish members knew what they could actually do.

Looking back, I'll list some of these things... Dimension Zero, Conquering of a Land, Mock War, SeeD Survivor, Mediators, "Cspace/SeeD Newspaper", the Innovators, and the Crescens Defenestration forum (biglaugh.gif). It's really not that hard to "persuade" me to accommodate members' ideas with forums and other stuff. Members can build their own thing here if they want. If something is reasonable, and if a member seems to feel strongly about organizing it, I don't usually have a problem with making it "official".

Some may not understand exactly how we're "member-led", and some may like to argue that we're not... But realize what we used to mean by the term, and realize that truly little changed in that regard. We see leadership as an idea, not as a rank. We see the ideal guild as one where members can organize what they want. If the members organize what they want, then the guild will provide exactly that.

The Arbiters' Order is all about us doing whatever the heck we want. bluetongue.gif

Our entire foundation is on this idea. We thrive when we use it... And as you can see, we have trouble when we don't. So let's realize it again. thumb.gif
Posted Image

#2 {lang:macro__useroffline}   x.. {lang:icon}

• I Can't Decide On An Avatar
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:27 PM

Translation:

NOBODY TURNS UP FOR EVENTS, LET'S MAKE THEM.

Yes, I want that to happen. ;P

#3 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Cspace {lang:icon}

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon
  • Group: Administrator

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:04 PM

Yes, that's part of it. thumb.gif

There's a forgotten half to our guild and community, however, that doesn't involve events. bluetongue.gif

Members used to take their own piece of their clan and community for themselves. Stuff like Dimension Zero, Conquering of a Land, Mock War, SeeD Survivor, Mediators, "Cspace/SeeD Newspaper", Special Ops, and the Innovators were all entirely handled by members, and they had their own forums here and everything. Members could also do stuff in Gardens (now Factions), and they could also organize for specific things like playing Counter Strike on certain nights or forming a PKing team in Runescape.

In 2003 and 2004 there was a lot of this going on. Members felt driven to guide their clan in a way that they wanted. If enough do this, the clan will provide for what everyone would logically want, because anything that you could ask for is being handled by someone. It's not that hard, and is actually somewhat fun and rewarding. Maybe some are squeamish about being a "leader"... But it's really not such a big deal. We're all supportive.

SeeD, and the Arbiters' Order which came from it, were built on this idea. Those with a leadership rank are intended to be easy-going, and push the members to take control in their own ways. The leaders can intervene, but if the members build the clan, the clan will more easily reflect exactly what they want. That was our thing. We truly were an "everything clan" because of it. yes.gif
Posted Image

#4 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Unrealblight {lang:icon}

• Ich möchte Sie allen töten <3
  • Icon
  • Group: Member

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:28 AM

After reading about the SeeD Newsletter, and I just ~had~ to check it out.

http://www.geocities...oice/humor.html
You know SeeDs are getting old when...
95% of all SeeD posts are in the Insanity Board

My friends, I think that day has come.

EDIT: Sorry for that bit of spam =\

#5 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Zziggywolf5 {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE(Cspace @ Sep 17 2007, 07:04 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
Members used to take their own piece of their clan and community for themselves. Stuff like Dimension Zero, Conquering of a Land, Mock War, SeeD Survivor, Mediators, "Cspace/SeeD Newspaper", Special Ops, and the Innovators were all entirely handled by members, and they had their own forums here and everything. Members could also do stuff in Gardens (now Factions), and they could also organize for specific things like playing Counter Strike on certain nights or forming a PKing team in Runescape.

I'm trying to get Trabia back to its glory. It's... not working out right now, I admit.

QUOTE (JGJTan @ Jul 17 2008, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I endorse stalking. :thumb:

#6 {lang:macro__useroffline}   x.. {lang:icon}

• I Can't Decide On An Avatar
  • Icon

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:11 PM

I think I'll start a PKing team.

#7 {lang:macro__useroffline}   The BlackOpps {lang:icon}

• Battle of Yavin veteran.
  • Icon

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:06 AM

im new here (just over a week) so the title "war commander" isnt really going to make people come to my events. Im starting to set em up every week. In fact i have one in the event section right now, however only 2 ppl have even RESPONDED to it. Until people start going to the pk trips, i can't even begin to start setting up wars.

Posted Image
^ Don't underestimate Google. ^

#8 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Rohtaren {lang:icon}

• no chief big fart
  • Icon
  • Group: New Member

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:18 AM

sorry i haven't turned up at events, i'm not too active in RS right now... i'm really busy so pretty much all the time i can get in is enough to keep my bob50016 alive.

#9 {lang:macro__useroffline}   The BlackOpps {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(Rohtaren @ Oct 1 2007, 01:18 AM) {lang:macro__view_post}
sorry i haven't turned up at events, i'm not too active in RS right now... i'm really busy so pretty much all the time i can get in is enough to keep my bob50016 alive.

its okay man, im justing saying we need ppl to at least READ about the events going on.

Posted Image

#10 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Kimojuno {lang:icon}

• W00T! :D
  • Icon
  • Group: Global Moderator

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:58 AM

QUOTE(UnrealBLight @ Sep 18 2007, 01:28 AM) {lang:macro__view_post}
After reading about the SeeD Newsletter, and I just ~had~ to check it out.

http://www.geocities...oice/humor.html
95% of all SeeD posts are in the Insanity Board

My friends, I think that day has come.

EDIT: Sorry for that bit of spam =\

Shouldn't that be:

95% of all SeeD posts are not in the Insanity Board

bluetongue.gif

{lang:macro__view_post}Xmadole, on 09 August 2009 - 09:28 AM, said:

i wish i actually read the first post of threads.

Posted Image

#11 {lang:macro__useroffline}   The BlackOpps {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

well i have a few reasons as to why i cant attend pk trips, but this reason shall end on the Christmas day, so now worries, i have trained for 3 months and now i'm almost ready to officially join a seeD "pk" trip

Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users