• Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE(Evil Cow @ Dec 13 2007, 10:59 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
QUOTE(Nazy @ Dec 14 2007, 02:50 AM) {lang:macro__view_post}
QUOTE(Evil Cow @ Dec 13 2007, 10:43 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
QUOTE(Neraphym @ Dec 14 2007, 01:43 AM) {lang:macro__view_post}
Lot's of people believe that raising the child is solely the responsibility of the parents, however, it is quite evident that a majority of parents aren't equipped for this task. That is why we send kids to school. Parents aren't good teachers; they aren't knowledgeable on most subjects. If anything, sex education is perhaps the hardest thing a parent can be expected to teach their kids. In effect, it IS the school's job to raise your kids to some extent.

Also, I am concerned about parents abusing their children by keeping them ignorant. Keep them home schooled and teach them creationism over evolution. Teach them that demons cause illness, and not germs. Teach them that technology is evil, and that enduring a harsh life of unnecessary labor is good. As a humane, free society, we must guarantee that our citizens are educated to minimal standards. If necessary, we need to pull a child away from his or her parents in order to give the child an opportunity to not be ignorant. Sex education that is comprehensive ought to be mandatory, regardless of a child's parent's wishes. Keeping a child in ignorance and feeding it misinformation is a form of child abuse, and that needs to stop.

Hey im home schooled and im smarter than ever other kid in my town public schools don't even teach kids what the Renaissance is.

Really? ._o They taught -me- about the Renaissance in seventh grade, at least. bluetongue.gif And I have a suspicious feeling it'll be in world history this year again.

So, what kind of schools does -your- town have? bluetongue.gif And how exactly do you know they don't teach about the Renaissance if you're homeschooled? ._o Friends? Just wondering.

not my town Maine and i worked at a halloween shop and they asked me what those costumes where from i told them Renaissance they had no clue what i was talking about and it happened a lot.

Uhh... yeah... see, that's -probably- the fault of the people in subject. bluetongue.gif Just because they don't seem to have a clue about something doesn't mean they didn't actually have the opportunity to sit and learn it like a civilized person, rather than drooling down their chin and pretending their brain is an optional addition to the body. bluetongue.gif
Video of the Week! Click it! ;D (Second attempt!)
Blame it on the Pop

Posted Image
Why yes... I did give in to this here thing above. =O

Hug?

#17 {lang:macro__useroffline}   San Dani L {lang:icon}

• Addict
  • Icon
  • Group: New Member

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:42 AM

Well it seems that they teach very little about sex and abstinence in US.
Here in Finland we get taught about this in biology every year in upper comprehensive school (grades 7-9).
We also have a subject called Health Education (2h a week) where we also get MUCH information about sex: venereal diseases,how to prevent pregnancies(step by step every single method of preventing them). we have about 2-3 months of sex education per year in school here and yes we get sex education questions in Health Education tests that everyone needs to pass.

Parents can contact the school and say that they don't want their child to get sex education and in that case the parents have to teach it at home.

Rs stats:

Att: 90/90
Str: 90/90
Def: 99/99
Hp: 93/93
Pray: 70/70
Sum: 50/50
Combat: 121 p2p 115 f2p

-Quit RuneScape 1.7.2008-

#18 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Jake {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:49 AM

We should strive to be more like finland.
They kicked Russia's ***... and stuff bluetongue.gif

PS:
I've never had a real sex-ed class. Evar.

#19 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Bobette {lang:icon}

• LOLZ.
  • Icon
  • Group: New Member

Posted 14 December 2007 - 05:35 PM

I'm homeschooled, by the way, so I'd have to disagree that parents are not equipped to teach their children in things like math and science.
In my opinion, the school teaches everything but what parents send their children to learn. Schools teach children that they have to be cute and manipulative from a young age, and that there is no such thing as justice in the system. They teach children who think differently that they are worthless and stupid, and they teach children that no matter how good they are at something, they will never match up.

And the schools can drone on and on all they want about the Renaissance period, and even those who take notes will forget what they had learned by the next year. In homeschooling your teacher has the opportunity to make it interesting. I've learned so much more in the past year that I've been homeschooled than in the last five years of public and private schooling I've gone through, and it's mostly been through independent study.

Anyway, it's still not the school's job to teach your kid about sex. Parents need to step up and be responsible.

Also, I am concerned about parents abusing their children by keeping them ignorant. Keep them home schooled and teach them creationism over evolution.

I think the parents have the right to teach their children whatever they please. I'm sure your parents had just as much of an opportunity to teach you whatever the hell they pleased during your daily life living with them, just like any other family. Children can be taught to refute what is told to them during the school day when they get home. You can't prevent ignorance, it will always find a way to slip through the cracks. bluetongue.gif

Also keep in mind that history is written by the winners. bluetongue.gif So often the history taught in public schools is biased.
Hi.

#20 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Yevgeny Borisovitch Volgin {lang:icon}

• Metal Gear enthusiast
  • Icon

Posted 14 December 2007 - 05:40 PM

I had a sex education class when I was 11. Loads of my classmates were so into it. xD

Anyways, I agree with Bobette. It's not the teachers responsibity to tell chlidren the... erm... wonders of reproduction, it's the parents.
(wyv btw)
Posted Image

#21 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Charlie {lang:icon}

• *lick*
  • Icon

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:23 PM

Sex ed isn't actually sex education though XD

I first had it when I was 11, and all they taught us about was puberty bluetongue.gif I guess it is slightly to do with sex, but eh..

Then we never had it again til I was 14, where they basically said "OMG DON'T HAVE SEX YOU'LL GET STDS!!!!" XD

Had it again a few weeks ago, and we put a condom on a cucumber! :O

XD!!!

#22 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Aaron {lang:icon}

• Hai
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_gallery}

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE(Charlee @ Dec 14 2007, 01:23 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
XD!!!

If you did that in the South or the Midwest the school would get a lot of angry phone calls by frantic parents bluetongue.gif .

#23 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Darkness {lang:icon}

• CHILDREN!
  • Icon
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE(Neraphym @ Dec 13 2007, 09:43 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
Also, I am concerned about parents abusing their children by keeping them ignorant. Keep them home schooled and teach them creationism over evolution. Teach them that demons cause illness, and not germs. Teach them that technology is evil, and that enduring a harsh life of unnecessary labor is good.

What, so believing in creationism instead of evolution makes you ignorant? Besides, it's called the -theory- of evolution for a reason. A theory is something that isn't proven, and thus might not be correct. And you also seem to roll all those three into one, as if every person who were to -believe- in creationism -must- be Amish.
QUOTE(Charlee @ Dec 14 2007, 10:23 AM) {lang:macro__view_post}

I first had it when I was 11, and all they taught us about was puberty bluetongue.gif I guess it is slightly to do with sex, but eh..

Then we never had it again til I was 14, where they basically said "OMG DON'T HAVE SEX YOU'LL GET STDS!!!!" XD

XD!!!

Lol, we're starting sex ed right now in Health class, and we apparently go quite in depth bluetongue.gif We talk about oral sex and everything else and all, and apparently... the teacher's going to be stretching a condom over his head grnwink.gif

But really,

“In the valley of hope, there is no winter.”

#24 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Neraphym {lang:icon}

• Do not want!
  • Icon
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:58 AM

Perhaps I need to clarify. Parents can teach their kids whatever they want, but the must also teach their kids a bare minimum of important knowledge. For instance, a parent can teach their child Intelligent Design, but it would be abusive if they just taught the kid that instead of ID and evolution. Of course, school is just going to teach evolution and not ID (we don't teach geocentric theory, do we?).

When it comes to sex education, parents could be misinforming or keeping their children ignorant on important sexual issues. Even if they are qualified to teach, they need state supervision to make sure they are teaching adequately. I am not against homeschooling, I just think it is necessary for the government to make sure it is being done correctly, and that the child is not being kept ignorant.

To clarify:

It is the government's job to make sure the child becomes educated, but not necessarily the government's job to do the educating if the parent(s) can be shown to be able to do so.

Neraphym Archaeon
Posted Image
GWAMM

#25 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Goto {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • Group: Global Moderator

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:51 AM

It's fine to say that in principle it should be up to parents to educate their kids and prepare them for life, but as many have pointed out it's fairly common that particular parents are not up to the task. Teaching it in school is much better then the real-world alternative. That said, it sounds like what is taught over there is pretty inadequate. From what I've seen, in general it's a bit better handled over here, although still not perfect obviously. My views match up fairly closely with Alpha's on this topic, I think.

Evolution may be a theory, but theories are open to be disproved at any point. The fact that significant evidence backs up evolution and that throughout all this time nothing has been found to disprove it is quite a strong sign. Pretty much everything in Science is a theory, even the fundamentals. It doesn't mean that they're likely to be wrong, merely that absolute proof is difficult.
Creationism and ID on the other hand aren't theories, merely belief systems. They are not an alternative to evolution, and by no means should be taught as such. By all means the parents can pass those beliefs along if they choose to, but one of the advantages of schooling is that it provides a way for children to learn of alternatives that do not necessarily agree with the views of their parents. Everyone (children or otherwise) has the right to make up their own mind, but to do that they need sufficient information.

For those of you who are homeschooled, if it works for you then congratulations. But you have to realize that your parents are probably the exception to the rule, and that the majority out there are probably not qualified to provide an equivalent education to that which you would get at school. Public/private schools have their share of faults, and the already-mentioned loss of individuality is certainly among them. For now though they remain a necessary thing, as often the children who need the most help will not have parents capable of providing it.

#26 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Zziggywolf5 {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE(Bobette @ Dec 14 2007, 12:35 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
Schools teach children that they have to be cute and manipulative from a young age, and that there is no such thing as justice in the system. They teach children who think differently that they are worthless and stupid, and they teach children that no matter how good they are at something, they will never match up.

School prepares you for society. thumb.gif

QUOTE (JGJTan @ Jul 17 2008, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I endorse stalking. :thumb:

#27 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Charlie {lang:icon}

• *lick*
  • Icon

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(Darkness™ @ Dec 15 2007, 01:57 AM) {lang:macro__view_post}
QUOTE(Neraphym @ Dec 13 2007, 09:43 PM) {lang:macro__view_post}
Also, I am concerned about parents abusing their children by keeping them ignorant. Keep them home schooled and teach them creationism over evolution. Teach them that demons cause illness, and not germs. Teach them that technology is evil, and that enduring a harsh life of unnecessary labor is good.

What, so believing in creationism instead of evolution makes you ignorant? Besides, it's called the -theory- of evolution for a reason. A theory is something that isn't proven, and thus might not be correct. And you also seem to roll all those three into one, as if every person who were to -believe- in creationism -must- be Amish.
QUOTE(Charlee @ Dec 14 2007, 10:23 AM) {lang:macro__view_post}

XD!!!

Lol, we're starting sex ed right now in Health class, and we apparently go quite in depth bluetongue.gif We talk about oral sex and everything else and all, and apparently... the teacher's going to be stretching a condom over his head grnwink.gif

But really,

Well after our class a few weeks ago we all got free condoms, and many people proceeded to put them to good use by stretching them over their heads bluetongue.gif

#28 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Jake {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:17 PM

Take pics

Post pics

???

PROFIT!!!

#29 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Aaron {lang:icon}

• Hai
  • Icon

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:14 PM

I want free condoms sad.gif . They cost 75 cents in gas station bathrooms here.

#30 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Jake {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:25 PM

Man up and buy a box 'foo

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users