CurvedSpace Forums: Anyone Hear About The New Particle Collider? - CurvedSpace Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • {lang:pm_locked} This topic is locked

Anyone Hear About The New Particle Collider?

#16 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Rylkan {lang:icon}

• Dirty Panda
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_gallery}
  • Group: Global Admin

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:08 AM

Well, the odds are quite low, but I do find it funny what Particle Physicists can come up with if you have enough energy that exotic particles that can float around.

As for the LHC, or Large Hadron Collider, it is also supposed to be an excellent test for the Super Symmetric Particles, which is the current leading theory as far as I see it for explaining dark matter. I dislike the theory, but it does have some benefits over MOND, another leading view on Dark matter. I am curious to see what results come out of LHC.
#: ssh God@Heaven.org
Password: CurvedSpace
/God> rm *

The BEST error message ever: "Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive."

#17 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Res {lang:icon}

• Ol' Crazy Res
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:30 AM

I'm wondering... That since they know that these repercussions do exist, even though they are small, they could still do such a thing to every last one of us?

There's a part of me that thinks none of it is even feasible, and that they are simply stated as a scare tactic used for much higher gratification when success is reached. "Well, everything went perfect. Existence still... Exists."

But I'm also slightly worried that they're willing to take a risk that big.
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be "The One".
Born to bear and read to all the details of our ending
To write it down for all the world to see.

#18 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Rylkan {lang:icon}

• Dirty Panda
  • Icon
  • Group: Global Admin

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:40 PM

I like to think of it as the Butterfly Phenomena myself. I could decide to walk outside, and I cause some pocket of air to shift, then I am able to use lensing of that air to focus cosmic rays which can beam down and kill someone.....

Fat Chance.

When they say the chance exists, it also exists for pretty much anything else causing it to happen in nature. To be put into perspective again, the chances are VERY VERY VERY low. As in it's a neat side note, but nothing to think of. If it were to have happened, it would statistically occur in space (yet again) where you get high energy processes that have a much HIGHER probability of it occurring. It obviously hasn't, so using one possible source, compared to the untold sources in space, with a lower probability than those same objects in space, I feel ensures that the chances are effectively zero.

It's kind of like worrying about going outside of your house at any point in your life because you're scared you'll be hit by a car. It's rather silly.
#: ssh God@Heaven.org
Password: CurvedSpace
/God> rm *

The BEST error message ever: "Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive."

#19 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Yevgeny Borisovitch Volgin {lang:icon}

• Metal Gear enthusiast
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:55 PM

BUMP.

http://www.lhcountdown.com/