Read the article, discuss.

#2 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Master Of Stuff {lang:icon}

• Despair with a side of butter
  • Icon
  • Group: Community Admin

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:33 AM

One word: Stupid, Idiotic

Two words: Easily Abusable, Short sighted, Pending failure

Lots of words: Don't forget that Firefox has a usually useful prefetch feature for images on links in webpages. One misclick is all it takes. I mean, come ON: look at how easy it is to RickRoll someone. It is not that hard.

And don't get me started on people with intentions. A simple browser hijack and redirection can land you on the FBI's list of doors to break down.

So, no, it's NOT right.

#3 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Jake {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:01 AM

Better than that MoS, an IP log is simply a .txt file in your server.

BUT IT CATCHES T3H PEDOS!!!!!!ZOMGLOLOL

#4 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Atilla {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • Group: Member

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:05 AM

Just as ridiculously invasive as wire-tapping. If the next president doesn't repeal the Patriot Act, I'm leaving the country forever.
<b>(\__/)</b>
<b>(='.'=)</b> This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
<b>(")_(")</b> him on his way to world domination.

#5 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Master Of Stuff {lang:icon}

• Despair with a side of butter
  • Icon
  • Group: Community Admin

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (Atilla @ Mar 21 2008, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just as ridiculously invasive as wire-tapping. If the next president doesn't repeal the Patriot Act, I'm leaving the country forever.

Agreed nonono2.gif

#6 {lang:macro__useroffline}   delta_3mo {lang:icon}

• Master Tink3r
  • Icon

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (Master Of Stuff @ Mar 21 2008, 05:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed nonono2.gif

I would just like to point out that there have been domestic surveillance operations other than the Patriot Act.
As an anti-crime measure, Pres. Clinton allowed warantless wiretaps in primarily African American neighborhoods.

Just wanted to share some of my abundant knowledge with you guys. biglaugh.gif

Supa pahti! Fantastic spahkaru! Let's gooh nambah waan!

#7 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Kimojuno {lang:icon}

• W00T! :D
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_gallery}
  • Group: Global Moderator

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:10 PM

Personally I find this stupid, here's a good reason to go to the site:

"I was DNSing the site to find out the IP Address, and then was contacting the FBI about it. I saw no illegal images, however I reported both the site that linked to it, and the site itself. I did this to make sure the FBI were aware of such sites. They would have this in their files, in fact my attorney has the legal documentation to prove such claims."

{lang:macro__view_post}Xmadole, on 09 August 2009 - 09:28 AM, said:

i wish i actually read the first post of threads.

Posted Image

#8 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Zziggywolf5 {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:25 PM

So basically the plan was:
1)Make fake websites
2)Trick people into clicking them
3)Come to a house and lie so they open the door
3)Arrest them for clicking a link under the assumption they are the ones who clicked it and they did to get p0rn.

QUOTE (Master Of Stuff @ Mar 21 2008, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed nonono2.gif

Why would they repeal it? The Patriot Act gives the federal government power it hasn't had in decades. I'm still personally dreading the new Alien and Sedition Acts.

QUOTE (JGJTan @ Jul 17 2008, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I endorse stalking. :thumb:

#9 {lang:macro__useroffline}   delta_3mo {lang:icon}

• Master Tink3r
  • Icon

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (Zziggywolf5 @ Mar 21 2008, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed nonono2.gif

Why would they repeal it? The Patriot Act gives the federal government power it hasn't had in decades. I'm still personally dreading the new Alien and Sedition Acts.

The Patriot Act is a good thing. It tells officials who to keep under surveillance. Without it the FBI would just start busting down doors when they have a hunch, instead of phone records suggesting your up to no good.

Not to worry though, the Patriot Act will probably get lost in the jumble when they create the North American Union (bad idea).
Supa pahti! Fantastic spahkaru! Let's gooh nambah waan!

#10 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Aaron {lang:icon}

• Hai
  • Icon

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:56 PM

Entrapment is illegal. Too bad the government is above the law.

#11 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Atilla {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (delta_3mo @ Mar 21 2008, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Zziggywolf5 @ Mar 21 2008, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed nonono2.gif

The Patriot Act is a good thing. It tells officials who to keep under surveillance. Without it the FBI would just start busting down doors when they have a hunch, instead of phone records suggesting your up to no good.

Not to worry though, the Patriot Act will probably get lost in the jumble when they create the North American Union (bad idea).

The FBI was doing a fine job before the Patriot Act; you're describing what they're allowed to do now that it's been implemented.

And, the North American Union? Not a possibility due to the debate over illegal immigration.

Though I'd be all for completely open borders. Let them flood in, make Spanish an official language. I don't care. I live in LA.

QUOTE (Aaron)
Entrapment is illegal. Too bad the government is above the law.

Amen.
<b>(\__/)</b>
<b>(='.'=)</b> This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
<b>(")_(")</b> him on his way to world domination.

#12 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Troll {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:29 AM

Whats catching the people who would watch "it" (Or innocent people due to the way this is done) going to solve?

Why not get the people making "it"?

#13 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Neraphym {lang:icon}

• Do not want!
  • Icon
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:19 AM

Well, the people who make it often do so for profit. Take away the demand, and it becomes less profitable. Thus, less kids will be abused. Still, we should concentrat our efforts primarily on catching the people who make it.

This is obviously not going to work. As soon as someone from the internets finds a link, you can be sure it will spread from forum community to forum community. The FBI's hitlist will reach every last one of us. Think about it. Do you have a single friend who hasn't been rickrolled? Personally, I want to find these links and start it!

clicking on an illegal hyperlink; knowingly destroying a hard drive and a thumb drive by physically damaging them when the FBI agents were outside his home; obstructing an FBI investigation by destroying the devices; and possessing a hard drive with two grainy thumbnail images of naked female minors (the youths weren't having sex, but their genitalia were visible).

Charge 1: clicking on an illegal hyperlink

How on earth can this be a crime? There is no possible way anyone can know what is on the other side of a hyperlink until one clicks on it. The link can be labeled in such a way as to make someone think the link leads them somewhere legal. The actual link may contain no clues about the content of the link. Finally, the link can be clicked on without intent.

Charge 2: knowingly destroying a hard drive and a thumb drive by physically damaging them when the FBI agents were outside his home

Again, how is this a crime. There are FBI agents outside my home right now. Granted, there is probably a huge distance between them and my place, but they are nonetheless outside my home. Is it then illegal for me to destroy my computer, thumbdrive, or toaster?

Charge 3: obstructing an FBI investigation by destroying the devices

Wow... they just keep coming! Now, unless this guy was made aware by the FBI that they were investigating him and that they needed his devices, then this guy has every right to destroy them.

Charge 4: possessing a hard drive with two grainy thumbnail images of naked female minors

Assuming that they actually are naked female minors (could be 18, could be 17, could be 10, I dunno), then this is a legit charge... if they can prove that A) HE downloaded the images with intent, B) he knew they were minors, and C) that the images were not grainy because of a freak computer error that accidentally took the form of an grainy image file (doubtful, but I had to throw that in there).

The one thing I've always wondered about pr0n and such... what if one of the girls turns out to be under 18 and the person viewing the pr0n doesn't know it? You can't tell borderline cases by looking. I know that if a girl lies about her age then sleeps with you, you can be arrested for statutory rape. I wonder if a pr0n site lies about the ages of their models and gets busted, can they arrest every person that visited that site?

Ultimately, this guy probably was a perv and deserves to be in jail. I just wonder how EASILY an innocent person can have their life destroyed by this.
Neraphym Archaeon
Posted Image
GWAMM

#14 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Unrealblight {lang:icon}

• Ich möchte Sie allen töten <3
  • Icon

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE (Troll @ Mar 21 2008, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whats catching the people who would watch "it" (Or innocent people due to the way this is done) going to solve?

Why not get the people making "it"?

/salute

#15 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Jake {lang:icon}

• Icon

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:38 AM

It's already started. Trust me.

http://slashdot.org/...=view&id=587454
The only bit of proof I can give you outside of PMs.

Edit: You can't get the people making it when they live in another country. Yeah, I know "What happenned to Team america: World police?" but it's true.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users