I endorse stalking. :thumb:

#17 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Kaezion {lang:icon}

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: New Member

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:24 AM

hi Aaron, hi Zziggywolf5.

QUOTE (Atilla @ Apr 22 2008, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To say "the universe is expanding" is misleading. It is more accurate to say "the contents of the universe are drifting farther apart from each other." What is on the edge of the universe? No such thing as the "edge of the universe." Assuming you'd simply be talking about whatever particle is furthest away from the very center, as far as we know, past that particle, there is empty space forever, and empty space is still a part of the universe.

space itself, the fabric which defines the universe, is expanding, not just the contents within it. numerous observations have supported this. since i can't explain them adequately with my current level of knowledge, i'll just redirect you to the wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia....tional_evidence

"Taken together, the only theory which coherently explains these phenomena relies on space expanding through a change in metric."

a "change in metric" is a change in the fabric of space itself, not simply the amount of space between objects. the ant and the baloon analogy in the above article should help you in understanding this.

so no, it's not misleading to say that "the universe is expanding." the universe literally is expanding, becuase the fabric of space(time) which make it up is expanding.

#18 {lang:macro__useroffline}   The BlackOpps {lang:icon}

• Battle of Yavin veteran.
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • Group: Member

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE (Kaezion @ Apr 25 2008, 04:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To say "the universe is expanding" is misleading. It is more accurate to say "the contents of the universe are drifting farther apart from each other." What is on the edge of the universe? No such thing as the "edge of the universe." Assuming you'd simply be talking about whatever particle is furthest away from the very center, as far as we know, past that particle, there is empty space forever, and empty space is still a part of the universe.

space itself, the fabric which defines the universe, is expanding, not just the contents within it. numerous observations have supported this. since i can't explain them adequately with my current level of knowledge, i'll just redirect you to the wikipedia article.

"Taken together, the only theory which coherently explains these phenomena relies on space expanding through a change in metric."

a "change in metric" is a change in the fabric of space itself, not simply the amount of space between objects. the ant and the baloon analogy in the above article should help you in understanding this.

so no, it's not misleading to say that "the universe is expanding." the universe literally is expanding, becuase the fabric of space(time) which make it up is expanding.

eek7.gif eek7.gif eek7.gif
I think im just gonna stick with ziggy on this one.
I'm just here to greet Kaezion.
Hey Kaezion.

Posted Image
^ Don't underestimate Google. ^

#19 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Atilla {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • Group: Member

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE (Kaezion @ Apr 24 2008, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems illogical for space to expand as there's nothing in space to expand. But I was just giving the way my high school physics teacher explained the phenomenon. I'm no expert either. Actually, I hate physics.

Although I suppose this could bring us right back to what Dark Energy/Dark Matter are.
<b>(\__/)</b>
<b>(='.'=)</b> This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
<b>(")_(")</b> him on his way to world domination.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users