#1 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Res {lang:icon}

• Ol' Crazy Res
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • {lang:view_gallery}
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

Rough Draft
Of all the places I like to travel locally, I find that there’s no place more beautiful than a single, unremarkable launching dock out on a southern edge of Lake Caney.
I have heard throughout my life that a journey is more important than any destination. I somewhat agree with this statement in regards to my one safe haven off of Caney Lake. Normally, travelling to this special place takes great planning, and some amount of time and careful navigation, but for all of the sights I see on the way there, I can never sufficiently prepare myself for the masterpiece of physical artistry that is laid out before my eyes. Depending on the time of day I choose to travel, I can see a multitude of things ranging from blinding sunlight reflecting off of a mirrored roof, the number of other people that pass by me on the road, heading towards some unknown destination, or simply a sea of forestry as I reach one of the highest points in Northern Louisiana.
Miles of visibility from this makeshift mountain peak reveal a full nothingness of a horizon, spanned over distances my mind cannot even begin to fathom. There are no houses, no towers, no buildings, or any streets before me. A clear open sky and landscape beneath pave the way for the closest definition of “infinity” I can begin to formulate. The sound at this area seems to let my eardrums relax under a deafening silence. The calm breeze pushes leaves to rustle against one another, and drowns out any lingering ring of city sounds. There are no cars or trains nearby to mar this ever so soft symphony. I can close my eyes and begin to believe I’m part of the wind that propels this sound over the earth, and relax knowing that I’m by myself, selfishly taking in this harmonic tranquility. Try as I may, no poetic justice can begin to fit these sights’ or sounds. They are truly a unique experience, given only to those who look or listen hard enough to find them.
This sanctuary of sound is not my specified place of refuge, however. I can only relish in this peace for so long before I must trek further to reach a place where my mind can unwrap the very bounds of the earth. I must travel longer to a place where I can most closely describe what Heaven feels like.
Over a river, and through many winding woody roads must I drive, passing one confusing street sign after a next. I never fail to miss at least three turns on my way, and no matter how many times I will travel here, I will always get confused and journey away from where I truly want to be. This only furthers my assumption that this is a part of Heaven. Not easily found, but worth the troubles and trials used to discover it.
After a time of moving, I finally reach my goal. Down a hill to a secluded and rather derelict launch dock I ride. Here I will sit and spend the following day, on into the afternoon, and well into the late hours of the evening. Doing nothing but gaze to the sky and begin to try an attempt at absorbing the sights and sounds.
My first sensation is the ever constant crash of the smallest waves hitting the support beams of the dock. The brisk wind sends these to me as what I feel is a joyful welcoming present. The cool breeze chills me to my bones, and I wrap up in a jacket I am always sure to pack, even on what can be the hottest summer day. The waves never cease, and the wind never truly yields. The sounds of the cracking wind and the breaking waves tone away after an hour or so, and I’m left with a silence of meditative silence until I leave.
The next thing I notice is the expanse of the sky. Earlier on my mountaintop, I could see what I described as “infinity”. Here, however, I am greeted by the never ending sky above, and a mirror image below. I’m pulled into the thought that I’m floating. There is nothing in the sky above me, and the water beneath me reflects the same emptiness. This is nice enough in itself, but the true mystery and wonder come after the sun sets…
Patiently I wait, taking great care to note the smallest details across the lake. Every spot of light that appears is like a star so close I can almost reach out and touch it. The sun falls lower, and more of these earthly stars awaken to greet the night with me. My newfound companions and I wait until the first star is visible above, and then we know that we have found a place on Earth that does not belong anywhere near the grasps of humans. We are faced with something so beautiful, that there are not nouns in any language, or adjectives that anyone can make up that can testify to the almost otherworldly sight.
Nameless colors flood the sky, accenting the stars. Stars I once thought were invisible, now join me, along with my lakeside lights. The water below grows dark, to an almost black shade, but feeling as if a comforting hand rests under me, as if to tell me that though I can see no end above me or below me, I cannot fall. I am in no danger here. This idea is understood in my mind as the calm waves below hold any stress or uncertainty away, and the gentle caress of the breeze runs its’ chilly fingers across my face and through my hair.
This place is what I believe miracles are made of. Not its’ physical state, but the mindset and ideas it fills an individuals’ head with. The feeling that this place emanates can bring a person to fall in love. Its intricacies pull the deepest thoughts out of the mist confusing areas of a mind, and the vast sensory overload it bestows a person can send one to the gates of Heaven, and back again. This place will always be a part of me, and it is my sincerest hope that everyone may have a chance to experience something like this in their lifetime.

Michael Scott~
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be "The One".
Born to bear and read to all the details of our ending
To write it down for all the world to see.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users