CurvedSpace Forums: If We Are Not The Cause Of Global Warming - CurvedSpace Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

If We Are Not The Cause Of Global Warming

#16 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Atilla {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • Group: Member

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE (delta_3mo @ Feb 15 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (.Bryce. @ Feb 15 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (delta_3mo @ Feb 15 2009, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (.Bryce. @ Feb 15 2009, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Kowboy @ Feb 14 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One volcanic eruption releases more carbon dioxide than all the cars in the past 50 years have caused.

I love people who get their "facts" from Rush Limbaugh.

Like the people who get their "facts" from Al Gore movies? Yea, I bet that someone (Al) who makes money off people being scared of global warming is going to present all the "facts" in their propogan- *AHEM*- movies...

At least he's done some research and isn't just spouting his mouth off.

It's also unwise of you to assume that every single environmentalist believes Gore to be absolutely correct. We all know that correlation doesn't imply causation, which is why the issue still exists in the first place.

No worries, I assumed nothing. thumb.gif

Now you're just blatently trolling.
<b>(\__/)</b>
<b>(='.'=)</b> This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
<b>(")_(")</b> him on his way to world domination.

#17 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Neraphym {lang:icon}

• Do not want!
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:26 AM

Methane decomposes rapidly in sunlight. One volcano could put out a ton of methane, but a lot of it will decompose before it makes a significant change in our environment. The problem is we breed mini-volcanoes known as moo-cows that pump out a renewable stream of the stuff. Also, the most powerful greenhouse gas we need to worry about is actually steam. Water is like 5 times more powerful than CO2, so the more of that stuff that gets released from its icy prison, the hotter and hotter the earth will get. This certainly can have a devastating cascade effect that would be hard to reverse.

Also, to delta:

If its natural, we shouldnt try to stop it.

The point I tried to make earlier was that natural doesn't necessarily mean that its best for us. Polio is natural; cancer is natural; rape is natural. These things are very bad, and because of man-made inventions, prevalence of these things is reduced and sometimes eliminated. Smallpox is dead. No other disease killed so many humans than this NATURAL killer. Its gone. Over. The last of it died 30 years ago.

But I do agree that stopping global warming, if done in hubris, could be disastrous. We might not be able to, and in doing so, we'd waste valuable resources. We might even make us worse off. I think that was more your point than to say natural is whats best for us. I just want to emphasize that its ok to try and fight back.
Neraphym Archaeon
Posted Image
GWAMM

#18 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Kowboy {lang:icon}

• 05.Banshee.SE
  • Icon
  • Group: New Member

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (.Bryce. @ Feb 15 2009, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (delta_3mo @ Feb 15 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (.Bryce. @ Feb 15 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (delta_3mo @ Feb 15 2009, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One volcanic eruption releases more carbon dioxide than all the cars in the past 50 years have caused.

Like the people who get their "facts" from Al Gore movies? Yea, I bet that someone (Al) who makes money off people being scared of global warming is going to present all the "facts" in their propogan- *AHEM*- movies...

At least he's done some research and isn't just spouting his mouth off.

It's also unwise of you to assume that every single environmentalist believes Gore to be absolutely correct. We all know that correlation doesn't imply causation, which is why the issue still exists in the first place.

No worries, I assumed nothing. thumb.gif

Now you're just blatently trolling.

What I'm trying to say is it's a 100% natural process, we are just exapserating it. I think our role is greatly dramatized though (Al Gore.)

You're very likely to get some form of cancer in your life time... if you smoke cigarettes, you'll probably get lung cancer. There are smokers who don't get lung cancner. There are non-smokers who do get lung cancer.

...If we stop driving cars tomorrow, we are just prolonging an inevitable event. With the natural causes of global warming, and the randomness of their events, who knows if us stopping driving cars would make a year difference...or a hundred year difference in the long run.

Mother nature has more say in it than we do.

QUOTE (delta_3mo @ Feb 15 2009, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No way...Al Gore is always right...he invented the internet... nonono2.gif

#19 {lang:macro__useroffline}   delta_3mo {lang:icon}

• Master Tink3r
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • Group: Member

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (Neraphym @ Feb 23 2009, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, to delta:

If its natural, we shouldnt try to stop it.

But I do agree that stopping global warming, if done in hubris, could be disastrous. We might not be able to, and in doing so, we'd waste valuable resources. We might even make us worse off. I think that was more your point than to say natural is whats best for us. I just want to emphasize that its ok to try and fight back.

Yea, thats pretty much what I was going for. I dont mind if people want to try and fight back (even if it is natural). My beef is with those who will try to force other people to fight back against global warming, even if they dont want to.

For instance, the Canadian Gov. is trying to pass legislation that would require EVERYBODY to by "eco-friendly" light bulbs. All other kinds would become illegal. This is the sort of thing that concerns me. I dont want some authority figure to use the frenzy created by global warming to make me do something I dont wanna do... Even if it is "best" for the environment.

Supa pahti! Fantastic spahkaru! Let's gooh nambah waan!

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users