CurvedSpace Forums: RuneScape: 23rd April 2009 - Development Diary: Run Energy - CurvedSpace Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RuneScape: 23rd April 2009 - Development Diary: Run Energy

#1 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Kimojuno {lang:icon}

• W00T! :D
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • {lang:view_gallery}
  • Group: Global Moderator

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (www.runescape.com)
Today, we’ve released a development diary about the upcoming ‘rest’ feature. Given that we’ve already released an...accidental teaser, we thought we’d give you some more insight into the design process for this small but useful feature, which I hope you’ll all end up using.

To read this diary, clickhere.

Mod Chihiro
Senior Technical Developer, RuneScape Content

All from Quick find code: 16-17-618-58730017:

QUOTE (Page 2 Post 1)
Hiya,

Thanks for your interest! Just a quick note about agility. We definitely wont be nerfing agility. If anything agility will be more useful. But I can't go into any more detail, as the diary says, we're still tweaking with the balancing of this system.

And yes, you will be able to just sit and listen to the musicians, and have a chat. One thing I liked about the musicians idea was that those players who wanted to use them just as a game mechanic to restore their runenergy will be able to do so, but they could also be used as a place to meet and chat and add a bit of flavour to the areas they are in.

mod_chihiro

QUOTE (Page 2 Post 7 (Mod Chihiro))
King Runite1
"PS: We aren't talking about the nerfing of shortcuts, but the run rate speed increase that Agility provides."

So was I TheSmile.gif

Also, you will be able to rest anywhere, its just that near musicians the effect will be better.

QUOTE (Page 3 Post 9)
Ki11a Pk3r
*You* may not need those things, but many players complain about the speed at which their runenergy restores, this project is meant to help with that.

As I have said already, you *will be able to rest anywhere*, even on PvP worlds. You may not *want* to, since you have to be stationary to rest, and you will still be vulnerable to attack. In the middle of combat, pots will still be the quickest and easiest way to restore your runenergy, but resting costs no money, nor does it take any inventory space. Whether it makes strategical sense to rest during combat I'm sure you guys will work out soon enough.

This is not meant as combat update, but rather a general update to allow all players to move around the world more speedily at no cost. Nothing more.

QUOTE (Page 4 Post 6)
Ki11a Pk3r
Please carefully read the dev diary and the posts I've made before making incorrect assumptions about what the rest system is.

The system is a lot closer to what you'd like than you seem to have realised.

You *will* be able to rest anywhere, not just next to musicians.

The restore rate *will* be based on your agility.

The musicians will simply restore at a better rate than anywhere else.

QUOTE (Page 5 Post 4)
Tonanti1
"I can also see it's going to be very difficult to balance it."

Indeed, because agility is a factor in all of this, and that while you are resting, you are not moving towards your destination, the calculations for this have turned out to be quite complicated.

We're still working on this now, but the aim is to make run-resting from point to point more efficient than run-walking, for resting near a musician more efficient than both of them, *and* for all of this to scale nicely with agility levels, whilst maintaining a good benefit for lower level or F2P players who have little or no agility.

It's given our balancer a lot to think about!

And yes, this will be available on F2P.

mod_chihiro

QUOTE (Page 6 Post 1 -- Japhoenix)
Mod Chihiro,

This concept kind of bothers me, not because of agility, but because I think this idea is selling a great idea short. The problem is that I think the concept of music appplied to the game would have a better purpose as a skill than as an improved way to restore run energy, like a summoning obelisk or an altar. It's like turning the concept of the entire construction skill (a skill with a variety of abilities and potential) into a way to make prayer altars for recharging prayer.

This idea just won't sit well with me, even if I can rest somewhere, entirely because it seems like a mistake in execution. I understand it fixes a problem like all updates, but at the cost of desecrating my favorite concept for a new skill and turning it into a footnote for an alternate way to restore run :/

It would great if you reconsidered the execution, to promote a music-based skill, but I imagine it's too late in the designing stages to do anything about that..

QUOTE (Page 6 Post 6)
Japhoenix I disagree with you, actually.

If a musician NPC can play music that will increase nearby players runenergy restore rate, why couldn't other types of music do other things? If a player could also do this, would that not be part of a potential set of music effects?

Anyway, this is completely speculative and I should make this very clear:

Rest Musicians are NOT a precursor or teaser for a new music skill.

They simply do not exclude the possibility.

Chihiro

QUOTE (Page 6 Post 10)
Mat Amr
"Will there be some music at the wilderness? A ghost or a skull?"

There might be grnwink.gif

mod_chihiro

QUOTE (Page 9 Post 4)
Jordan332
"we will be able to rest anywhere"
This is true!

"and sit on benches/furniture "
No this is not true.
The original idea was to use benches to rest on, but benches would not have worked for technical reasons. So you will be able to sit near musicians and get an even better runenergy restore rate.

mod_chihiro

{lang:macro__view_post}Xmadole, on 09 August 2009 - 09:28 AM, said:

i wish i actually read the first post of threads.

Posted Image

#2 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Kimojuno {lang:icon}

• W00T! :D
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • {lang:view_gallery}
  • Group: Global Moderator

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

Quick find code: 16-17-618-58730017

QUOTE (Page 9 Post 9)
But Mod Chihiro...

Will one of the buskers be named Rick Gastley?

Will the cult reference traditions of Jagex continue on with many humorous music artist references? Or will our buskers be original characters?

~ MMH ~

(Hey J-Mods are allowed to ask other J-Mods questions too! bluetongue.gif)

QUOTE (Page 9 Post 10 -- Mod Emilee)
Mark, you are OBSESSED! ^_^

QUOTE (Page 10 Post 2)
Roivainen
"Finally I will be able to shout ''You spoony bard'' with an actual bard to shout at."

lol.

"However:
Will there be areas that wont allow person to rest?"

As few as possible: the one notable exception is the Fist of Guthix Arena, since the run energy changes that happen in different parts of that arena are a core game mechanic and allowing resting would break the game.

There may be others, if we come across areas that cause major problems, but I hope not. If you can think of anywhere that might then let me know TheSmile.gif

"Will damage from poison/disease cancel resting? "

You wont be able to rest when you're poisoned. If you get attacked at all while you are resting you will stop resting.

mod_chihiro

QUOTE (Page 10 Post 4)
One day I will see Rick Gastley in game!

He will serve Rick Rolls and tell players "I'm never gonna give you up, let you down, run around and desert you!"

ONE DAY! *shakes fist*

~ MMH ~

QUOTE (Page 10 Post 10)
Groan TheSmile.gif

I have no intention of rickrolling our players. Well not in game anyway.

Man, I remember the Rick in question when we was just a pop star, not a weird internet meme game ... I didn't like him much then.

Back on topic,

There is a cultural reference hidden away in this update, but it is about as far from cheesy eighties pop as it is possible to be ...

mod_chihiro

QUOTE (Page 11 Post 4)
Come on Holy Sickle, not really fair huh? bluetongue.gif

In some places in the forums, that would be considered spam. You're lucky you added on the extra bit at the bottom. grnwink.gif

--

No worries Chihiro, I understand that not everybody enjoys Rick (80's Popstar or internet meme) as much as I do. bluetongue.gif

Nice to know there is some cult references in the Rest update somewhere.

Now you've got me wondering what it is...

~ MMH ~

QUOTE (Page 12 Post 1)
Thanks folks for your input, there are a couple of things you mentioned I'm going to double check, so keep your thoughts coming!

I'm afraid I have to go off and do some stuff, so I won't be posting again today, but I'll be keeping my eye on this thread, and probably post some more tomorrow.

Thanks TheSmile.gif

mod_chihiro

{lang:macro__view_post}Xmadole, on 09 August 2009 - 09:28 AM, said:

i wish i actually read the first post of threads.

Posted Image

#3 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Master Of Stuff {lang:icon}

• Despair with a side of butter
  • Icon
  • Group: Community Admin

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Page 10 Post 4)
One day I will see Rick Gastley in game!

He will serve Rick Rolls and tell players "I'm never gonna give you up, let you down, run around and desert you!"

ONE DAY! *shakes fist*

~ MMH ~

This belongs in the Zanaris update. Now. Fire the chorus and add Rick Gastley.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users