CurvedSpace Forums: What a long strange trip it's been... - CurvedSpace Forums

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox

JGJTan Icon : (05 July 2018 - 10:07 AM) So this has been a while! It's @jgjtan and @leftyy here having a nostalgia trip. We hope you all have been having a great time so far! Miss you, be back in another 5-10 years. (Or find me on social media -- it's not that hard.)
MoldyRaven Icon : (07 November 2017 - 10:03 AM) Back again after 14 years! Good to see this still up.
X Zolon Icon : (22 October 2017 - 04:54 PM) Polo.
MA-53 Icon : (13 October 2017 - 09:42 PM) Marco
ticktockclok Icon : (08 October 2017 - 11:26 PM) Just thought of this place, and figured I would try to log in. I last posted 10 years ago. Hello to anyone out there - especially those from way back!
Res Icon : (06 October 2017 - 03:11 AM) As well as things can be, good to hear from you all :D!!! Much love all around.
X Zolon Icon : (05 October 2017 - 05:02 AM) Strange. I was thinking about it around the same time. Just didn't come back until now. Hope everyone is well.
Glammeress Icon : (16 July 2017 - 12:48 AM) Just thinking about this place, like out of nowhere. Hope everyone is well.
Rylkan Icon : (09 July 2017 - 04:07 PM) Not bad. Just finishing up grad school. Which means I am looking for distractions from writing. :p
Phieta Icon : (09 July 2017 - 05:06 AM) Still flying, so to speak. How goes with you?
Rylkan Icon : (09 July 2017 - 02:42 AM) I am even more amazed someone replied to this in less than a few month timescale. Hi! How goes?
Phieta Icon : (08 July 2017 - 09:43 PM) He does log into GW every month or so to retain leadership, so that's something
Phieta Icon : (08 July 2017 - 09:42 PM) There are several of us! Several!
Rylkan Icon : (08 July 2017 - 06:33 PM) I was actually hoping to get in touch with Cspace since its been forever. But it looks like our old leader is lost to the void.
Rylkan Icon : (08 July 2017 - 06:29 PM) In a moment of pure nostalgia, I remembered this site. Seeing any shouts from this year is insane.
asyluman Icon : (17 January 2017 - 02:45 AM) i only JUST started playing FFVIII
asyluman Icon : (17 January 2017 - 02:45 AM) woah are people still here
Phieta Icon : (13 January 2017 - 09:05 AM) Apparently I joined SeeD 14 years ago today.
Dragonman Icon : (10 September 2016 - 02:29 AM) Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven
x.. Icon : (13 July 2016 - 01:14 AM) idk. both of those are complicated questions.
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What a long strange trip it's been...

#1 User is offline   Res Icon

• Ol' Crazy Res
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:39 AM

Evening, everyone. :handball:
Or. The few that lurk around to read this, I suppose. Just hasn't seemed all that busy around here lately. Even before school started. I find that a bit of a downer.

Here's why.
I've been a member of this site since 2003. I started on RuneScape (May it rest in peace), and fiddled around with Diablo, EverQuest1, EverQuest2, Neverwinter Nights, City of Heroes/Villains, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars (Factions. Ugh.), and -various- other games along the way, all hoping that at one point or another, there could be a niche to fill with the spirit of this community in those games. I knew I couldn't get any of the people from this place into those games, as they had commitments elsewhere. But I wanted to bring the feel of this place in other areas. Some succeeded more than others, but in the end, it always failed. I could never bring that same feeling of a tight knit group together from other people. It just... Worked here. :sick:

So that's what I'm looking for again. Like it or not, it's definitely started to fall in activity here. I know, I know. We all grew up. We got jobs. We went to college. We got married. We went overseas. We got second jobs. We bought a house with no internet. We moved.

Fine, I accept that. I even accept the fact that I'm one of the people that will look over a topic, come up with something to say, and then wind up being too lazy to hit "add reply" and type it out. But I'm working hard to fix that. And I'm working hard to also have replies that contain substance that call for additional replies. I don't often succeed, but hell, I'm trying. :sweat:

So where are we now? Who's left? Who all is here? Who even cares anymore? Personally, I'd feel pretty shi­tty if I'd have gone through 7 years and have this website go down the tubes. Cspace has worked too hard, the staff has worked too hard, the community has, the members have, and everyone in between has done too much to let something like this get scrapped due to inactivity. :sick:

And I think there's still a lot we can do. But it takes a lot of people. I know my messages don't have fancy colored text or smileys. I'm just not that cool. But for a guy that habitually visits this place, and has done so nearly every day for the past 7 years our of sheer subconscious whateverthehell, I don't want this place shutting down, or even seeming like it might.. Cspace pays out of pocket to keep it running, so we at least owe it to him, yeah? :yes:

Here are a few suggestions of mine for things that might help.

1) Consolidate the forums more. This place is actually still pretty daunting to new people, considering the size of the board and the forums that get little to no use. Seldom are they checked, even more rare is a new post that's a hot topic.

2) Add an optional swear filter. We've grown up. All of us. I think it's rather safe to say that each of us knows what can and can't be said, and that there's a time and place for it. And any new members that would arrive can see that we know how to keep ourselves in check, and should follow that same example. I'm not for profane and vulgar obscenities being thrown around left and right, and I know things aren't exactly 'restrictive' here, but I think it'd be a good idea.

3) Make it more difficult for flesh spam-bots to join. I don't know how that would work, but... Just add like, another security thing.

4) Tell people about this place. IRL or online. Just drop it in conversation. "Yeah, you could check this place out."

5) Come up with other ideas that will help bring this place back. I had a conversation with Phi last night about how when this place used to be so very conflict ridden, people would SWARM to topics to rubberneck and throw in their 2cents to fix things. But now, since we've all grown up past stupid online arguments, people have no more need to rubberneck. People don't have any cents left to throw in.
---
Not saying this is bad. I hated conflicts when they were around. But I'll be damned if they didn't turn this place into an anthill that just had a brick dropped on it.
---

So here's where I'm standing. Some guy that's trying to breathe a little life into a community he's been a part of for almost seven years. Some guy that visits this website two or three times a day with little to nothing to contribute. Some guy that's made some pretty stellar friends in that course of time, and hates admitting he knows a vast majority of them are gone.

I finally started playing Guild Wars Prophecies so I can socialize with people from here, but nobody is ever on. I'm at a place where I can be online just about every day, and will do so unless there are extenuating circumstances elsewhere. I want to get the game to a thorough understanding, then do things to help breathe life into the guild in game, and this website as well. Call me crazy, but... that's what I hear people like about me.

There you go, ladies and lads. That's my bit. I've been wanting to say it for a long time. I may not have ever really put forth too very much into this place, but I'm wanting to change that. But I need help, and I know there are people out there willing to help as well.

Is anyone with me?
Anyone at all?

... What say you? :bandit:

((Also. Cspace/Desperado. PM me. I've got a bone to pick with you in private. :shifty: lol no not really, but I need to talk to you about something kind of important.))
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be "The One".
Born to bear and read to all the details of our ending
To write it down for all the world to see.

#2 User is offline   x.. Icon

• I Can't Decide On An Avatar
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

I've always thought that if Desp ever had problems hosting, I'd have a partition set up on my little home server for him to use. :P

I agree with what you said about the forums. I think a better idea would be just Announcements, General Discussion, IB and Game Room with a DoA subforum. It'd be easy to merge or archive the forums that nobody uses, as well as get rid of the features that are pointlessly making load times longer. To save space and load the page quicker something like FluxBB would be preferred. (They're compatible with the IPB database.) That damn portal needs to go too. It may look snappy, but when I use my dinosaur 386 PC the page glitches like hell and I'm sure some of the IE people might complain too.

Yep, I'll definitely be here forever. I'm sure that there are other people that feel the same way. We may not be a clan anymore, but we're still a community.

Installing GW now btw.

#3 User is offline   Phieta Icon

• Not impressed, darling.
  • Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:52 AM

Well, damn. It's a refreshing shock to see someone other than Csperado not only posting a "Where has all the awesome gone?" novel, but also so closely mirroring my own tacit opinion on the subject. :yes:

This place is special to me. It felt like a home to me for a long time. It doesn't anymore. Somewhere along the way, it just... lost its magic.

I'm sure part of it is because, as you said, I've grown up. It was great spending time here when I had no responsibilities, and nothing else to spend my time on. (Only one of my real-life friends lived on this end of town.) SeeD was a source of happiness, and an escape, when I joined as a high school freshman. But now I'm old enough to be a college grad --- I have a full-time job and will shortly be a licensed professional; I'm trying to plan ahead and figure out where I'd like my life to be in a few years, and start leading it there; I'm in charge of running the household; I spent what little free time I have in-person with my friends or girlfriend. And while I still check in here every day out of some combination of habit and nostalgia, it's just not a priority anymore to spend energy making this "my place."

Still, back then... there was a lot more reason to spend time here. It was a hive of activity. Nowadays? By any measure, there are only a handful of us left. And nobody new seems to drop by. I swear, whenever someone (other than ad-zombies) registers and posts an introduction, there are two replies (you know who you are) trolling "lawl noob dead board is dead" and maybe one or two more saying "OH GOD PLEASE STAY WE ARE LONELY =<." Inevitably, the person leaves anyway, and our standard of activity remains a single post a day in LOtPW and a post a month in What Song Are You Currently Listening To. :sure:

So "who cares," Res? Well, I care. And maybe I don't care enough, anymore. The apathy around here, and the absence of so many past friends who made our community so great, is starting to rub off on me. Which is a damn shame. So thanks for reminding me of what value I do still put on it.

To your suggestions:
  • 1. I wholeheartedly support this. This may sound contradictory, but having a lot of subforums could discourage new members not only by overwhelming them with places to post, but also by overwhelming them with places that are dead. We don't have enough activity anymore to support this size of a board, and it looks bad when half of the forums were last active over six months ago. I'd go so far as to argue that everything under both "Gaming & Entertainment" and "Intellectual Forums" should be either archived or merged with GD. (I guess you could leave Clan Advertising alone, but it doesn't drive activity as much as it encourages one-hit wonders.)
    • Despite my being "Forever a SeeD" and proud of it, I'm gonna blaspheme here and suggest we just archive the SeeD subforum too and be done with it. RS already seems to be dead to everyone here, and we never got hired as mercenaries in it or any other game. Just kill it already. We can always bring it back if there's any interest, but for now I'd rather leave SeeD as an awesome part of our history, not some vegetable on life support that we keep alive only for nostalgia. :sure:
    • EDIT: I like Commiedole's idea. Keep the Gaming subforum, and make the DoA a subforum there. If you want, leave a redirect "forum" on the top level to give it visibility, like we used to have when it and SeeD were "featured factions."
  • 2. Agreed. It's not a necessity anymore.
  • 3. Is there any way to block new members from posting links? Or making blog posts?
  • 4. Yes.
  • 5. lol artificial drama

As for Guild Wars, there are usually 15-20 of us active within any given week... only half of whom are among the handful of us on the forums (wtf?). Once in awhile I'll catch the Aussies/Kiwis online but most of the time I'm the only one on. I'd love to see some new blood in the guild and on this board.

Oh. Also. An important point Cspace and I discussed. Let the newbies stir some shit up. :wacko:

Seriously, the "let's just do whatever we want" approach served us pretty well in the past. It helped us grow and fostered the spirit that held us together for so long. I figure, let's acknowledge the fact that we've shrunk so much, and act like a new board, a new guild.

The forums? Keep the active ones, "trim the fat" if you will, and let us grow again per demand. Think real hard: how many of our subforums came from someone asking, "Hey, wouldn't it be awesome if we had a dedicated forum for _____? Hey, Cspace, can I have one?" Our community will regrow in time, and the board will belong to its new membership.

The guild? Well, there's not much trimming to do; we've already got plenty of room for new members. And there's a demand for the casual "it's just a game, have fun" guild/alliance (look at MARA). So let's fill it. Bring people in, and let them do what they want. Let them make it their guild. Let them lead, even...

...and yes, Res, this is why I promoted you to Officer right after inviting you. You may be an old-timer here, but you're effectively a GW newbie. And I think that may be a very nice way to revive the DoA and, by extension, the forums.

So who's with you? The question is, who's with us? :thumb:

I'm in. Let's bring kickass back.
Those who will remember, will speak fondly of the warm morning breeze.

#4 User is offline   x.. Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:58 AM

Damn, this disc is dusty.

And Phi, thanks for my next name change idea. :wacko:

Posted Image

Huge image was huge. Uploader made huge image bad quality.

Let us party like the Marx.

e: There. I rescaled it myself. By the way, anyone know a decent ad-free image uploader that keeps the file for more than half an hour?

e2: LOTRO is free now or so I hear. Is anyone going to be playing it?

#5 User is offline   Res Icon

• Ol' Crazy Res
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

I'm glad I've been able to get a few responses, to say the very least.
Now to follow up on them.

☭: No, I don't. And as far as LotRO goes, Ech is the only person I know that plays it. I looked at it, but wanted to get into GW before the second came out so I could have a good standing in it.

LOTRO could be easy to get in to, but I know that regardless of who joined, the vast majority, if not everyone, would leave it when GW2 comes out. I already have a few die-hard WoW friends who said they will make a switch when it is released.

So I'm wondering, what can be done to help revitalize that particular faction, because lord know it needs it.
---

You're right, Phi. There are a few people on every so often. But... Hang on, I'll log in right now. Sec.

There is nobody online. It's an average of 10 hours I missed people by, but at that time, I was at work. There has to be more we can do to recruit, but at the same time, I don't know what direction the guild is to be taken. I don't know what Cspace's ideal goal is that he wants to complete.

Personally, I'd want to see people on that would help others in whatever they'd do. But scrolling through the list, there are 10 people that have logged on in the last week, with the rough 40-45 people online. Months or so have passed for anyone.

Can we fix that? Can we get a group of people who are intent on helping each other? I think we can. But how?
---

Also. Would it be a good idea to purchase a Ventrilo server and host a space dedicated to the Curvedspace/DoA/wtfever community? I'm more than willing to do that if there would be enough support/people that would put it to good use.

#6 User is offline   x.. Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:05 PM

I've just discovered GW isn't compatible with my new graphics card.

That sucks.

#7 User is offline   Res Icon

• Ol' Crazy Res
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:08 PM

Wait. What. Why. That's stupid. Don't be stupid. Fix that. D:

#8 User is offline   x.. Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:33 PM

I could play it on my laptop but the damn thing fails to even run games like Quake without lagging.

#9 User is offline   Jake Icon

• Icon
  • View blog

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:36 PM

I could have sworn I replied to this like twice. Oh well.

Great ideas, especially the closing/merging boards bit. Also, let me know if you want a vent domain that isn't "cspacezone.Xtr34meSuperLightningMegaventrillio.org:21154" or something. I'm pretty sure I can just make a vent.kingoftheje.ws subdomain and redirect it to the vent.

I'd get people to join, but the only games I play anymore are TF2, MW2 (ahahaha), and now minecraft. I don't think I'll be much help there.

#10 User is offline   Res Icon

• Ol' Crazy Res
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:59 PM

Well. That's kind and all, but I've got one set up now that's working rather well. A 25 slot (And may increase the size if it's ever needed, which I kindof doubt, but it's possible.) vent with a few channels and rooms with a lot of room for expansion.

Info-
IP: 216.6.226.101
Port: 3797
No password currently.

And this isn't exclusive to us. I've invited a few IRL friends to use it if they ever need an extra channel, and I'd have no problem offering it for use for other folks, either. Just so long as they know where it derives from, and might stop by perhaps.

#11 User is offline   x.. Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:07 PM

no-ip.org works too.

#12 User is offline   Res Icon

• Ol' Crazy Res
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:15 PM

Bump, or something.

#13 User is offline   Charlie Icon

• *lick*
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:43 PM

Awwww I can never live up to those huge replies :c.

Anyway, woo, activity and stuff.

I quit Runescape the day I got 99 fletching ;D Fantastic. So that's out of the window now.

But I do have Steam...which I rarely go on...only to play Civ 4...but I could be persuaded to maybe try TF2 again with anyone whose prepared :P.

Also, I'm most active on the PS Network nowadays, mostly offline games, but it would be nice to talk to some people on there (I'm looking at you Res...last logged in 5 months? :P).

#14 User is offline   Res Icon

• Ol' Crazy Res
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:41 AM

There's a fully valid explanation for that.

I just can't give it right now. :3

#15 User is offline   x.. Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:19 AM

Did you use your PS3 for unholy purposes?

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users