CurvedSpace Forums: 2011 is almost over. CurvedSpace's future is a blank slate. - CurvedSpace Forums

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox

JGJTan Icon : (05 July 2018 - 10:07 AM) So this has been a while! It's @jgjtan and @leftyy here having a nostalgia trip. We hope you all have been having a great time so far! Miss you, be back in another 5-10 years. (Or find me on social media -- it's not that hard.)
MoldyRaven Icon : (07 November 2017 - 10:03 AM) Back again after 14 years! Good to see this still up.
X Zolon Icon : (22 October 2017 - 04:54 PM) Polo.
MA-53 Icon : (13 October 2017 - 09:42 PM) Marco
ticktockclok Icon : (08 October 2017 - 11:26 PM) Just thought of this place, and figured I would try to log in. I last posted 10 years ago. Hello to anyone out there - especially those from way back!
Res Icon : (06 October 2017 - 03:11 AM) As well as things can be, good to hear from you all :D!!! Much love all around.
X Zolon Icon : (05 October 2017 - 05:02 AM) Strange. I was thinking about it around the same time. Just didn't come back until now. Hope everyone is well.
Glammeress Icon : (16 July 2017 - 12:48 AM) Just thinking about this place, like out of nowhere. Hope everyone is well.
Rylkan Icon : (09 July 2017 - 04:07 PM) Not bad. Just finishing up grad school. Which means I am looking for distractions from writing. :p
Phieta Icon : (09 July 2017 - 05:06 AM) Still flying, so to speak. How goes with you?
Rylkan Icon : (09 July 2017 - 02:42 AM) I am even more amazed someone replied to this in less than a few month timescale. Hi! How goes?
Phieta Icon : (08 July 2017 - 09:43 PM) He does log into GW every month or so to retain leadership, so that's something
Phieta Icon : (08 July 2017 - 09:42 PM) There are several of us! Several!
Rylkan Icon : (08 July 2017 - 06:33 PM) I was actually hoping to get in touch with Cspace since its been forever. But it looks like our old leader is lost to the void.
Rylkan Icon : (08 July 2017 - 06:29 PM) In a moment of pure nostalgia, I remembered this site. Seeing any shouts from this year is insane.
asyluman Icon : (17 January 2017 - 02:45 AM) i only JUST started playing FFVIII
asyluman Icon : (17 January 2017 - 02:45 AM) woah are people still here
Phieta Icon : (13 January 2017 - 09:05 AM) Apparently I joined SeeD 14 years ago today.
Dragonman Icon : (10 September 2016 - 02:29 AM) Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven
x.. Icon : (13 July 2016 - 01:14 AM) idk. both of those are complicated questions.
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2011 is almost over. CurvedSpace's future is a blank slate. Where do YOU want us to go from here?

#1 User is offline   Phieta Icon

• Not impressed, darling.
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:19 AM

Discuss.
Those who will remember, will speak fondly of the warm morning breeze.

#2 User is offline   Master Of Stuff Icon

• Despair with a side of butter
  • Icon
  • Group: Community Admin

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

Okay.

#3 User is offline   x.. Icon

• I Can't Decide On An Avatar
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

I don't really mind where we go from here as long as these forums stay. :P It would help a lot if Desperado were to drop in and give them a bit of a clean out, add some anti-spam features. Only two of the forums are really actively used, unless you count Clan Advertising. It's getting a bit needlessly cluttered.

I would personally like to see more people active in the Guild Wars guild. It's a bit hard for me to invite many people without being an Officer, and I guess a lot of the oldtimers have got bored with the game and are waiting for Guild Wars 2. Maybe we could get some people together and have a bit of fun at Wintersday?

I can't see us ever becoming active in RuneScape again. The main game has been nearly abandoned by Jagex and RS Classic was closed up for good (again) recently.

#4 User is offline   Star Jedi Icon

• Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Community Admin

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

The stubbornly addicted will always come back, even after the world ends. :nervous:

But yes, we badly need some anti-spam features added :sweat:

#5 User is offline   Phieta Icon

• Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:51 AM

View PostFluttershy, on 01 November 2011 - 05:36 AM, said:

It's a bit hard for me to invite many people without being an Officer

:shifty:

...just make sure to send them here, too.

#6 User is offline   x.. Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

View PostPhieta, on 02 November 2011 - 04:51 AM, said:

:heart:

#7 User is offline   Phieta Icon

• Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

View PostFluttershy, on 02 November 2011 - 01:22 AM, said:

View PostPhieta, on 02 November 2011 - 04:51 AM, said:

#8 User is offline   Phieta Icon

• Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

Cspace/Desperado, I apologize in advance for this post. It's not meant to be harsh, but I'm tired and I know it's coming out that way. I'm sorry! Posted Image
Also, everyone, I apologize in advance for this post. It's rambly I need sleep

Brain dump from discussions with a couple of you, and some thought and review.

First, what is CurvedSpace anyway? I'd say it's in the midst of an identity crisis, but looking back, I get the impression it's always had an identity crisis — I can't see what CurvedSpace has ever been other than, well, Cspace's Zone.

It's worth noting that like many of you, I originally joined not CurvedSpace, but SeeD. The two sites/forums would later merge, but as I remember, the vast majority of our activity, growth, and history came directly from the SeeD side of the community rather than the CurvedSpace side of the community. The SeeD side simply absorbed the CurvedSpace side as an outlet for all of our non-RuneScape interests. An "everything" site to host an "everything" clan.

"Forums. Games. Beyond." "Your gaming community." "The Event Horizon." "Dimension Zero." "Corrupting gamers, one member at a time." The only descriptive description of the site I've found comes from 2003: "We do our best to provide great online entertainment, gaming, and discussions. Some sections include jokes, an online game index, anime information, chat rooms, online game competitions, and of course forums for discussions on any appropriate topics! We also have web development resources for all you webmasters out there." It's a mishmash of geeky content, not that that's a bad thing. But there's no focus to it. Let's look at the site as it exists today, and what it has to offer.
  • Blogs. Underused. Nearly useless without a community.
  • Forums. I'll come back to these.
  • Guilds. We have three. SeeD is dead (the site still freakin' says "Arbiters' Order" on it.) DoA is not dead, if only because its remaining active members have a bizarre sense of nostalgia that overpowers any desire to seek out active guilds. I don't know about the Steam group because I don't use Steam, but it doesn't look much better off than DoA.
  • Commendations. Useless without a community.
  • Jokes. Last updated Feb 18 2007. It's content, I guess, but it's a diversion and nothing more. There's no connection to our community. It's not like we can add anything.
  • Gallery, you guessed it, useless without a community.
  • Arcade. Like the jokes, it's content, but it's no more than a diversion. At least with the "Portal" setup the arcade was integrated, we had a fun sense of competition, etc.

So, the forums. At this point they're not just the core of our community, they're the entire gorram site as far as most of us are concerned. You may as well make cspacezone.com point to the forums and archive all the other content. But I think I speak for everyone when I say the forums are in dire need of an overhaul.

Yes — we need to build activity. Yes — we need to grow the community. Yes — we need to find new members. But in their current state, these forums will not attract new members. Coming here as an outsider has got to be discouraging (if anyone finds us to begin with): These forums are like a vast desert, spotted with ruins of a great civilization and inhabited by creepy hoboes.* Potential new members come here and see forums, forums as far as the eye can see... with tons of old, irrelevant content and nothing much new except a six-day-old post in LOtPW and whatever spambot dung we've overlooked or haven't got to yet. We need our board to be smaller, unintimidating, and more active (or at least appearing more active, by concentrating the activity).

When I started, we only had a few forums. As we grew and there were more discussions on specific topics, we gained more forums, and subforums of those forums. And as we got quieter over time and our needs changed, various forums and subforums got merged or archived. It is time to (and I hate this buzzword) right-size our board again. If we have need for the extra forums later on, we can always recreate them. Suggestion:
  • The Bridge
    • Archive the Announcements; the forums have a built-in Announcements function we could use.
    • Archive the Event Board. Events can be posted in GD, or in a game-specific forum. Mods can post an Announcement on request.
    • Introductions — keep it, and encourage a welcoming atmosphere.
    • Help Center — it serves a purpose for shouting "HEY MODS." Keep it.
  • The Stuff Category
    • General Discussion — for everything.
    • The Insanity Board: Powered by Cupcakes — for quite.
  • Archive the Guilds category, and the SeeD forum with it.
  • Gaming
    • Defenders of Aderon — keep it, as DoA isn't totally dead and GW2 is coming.
    • Archive the Game Room and Media Center or merge them into GD. There's not enough activity to merit a subforum. Also, archive Clan Advertising. Although it's miraculously free of adbots, it attracts two types of posters: the one-hit wonder, and the unnecessary bumper. Neither add to our community.
  • Archive the Intellectual Forums category and all of its forums, or merge them into GD. Again, none have enough activity to merit a subforum.
  • Archive DarkStorm until it has players again.
  • Secure Forums
    • Moderator Discussion — keep it; it has a purpose.
  • Archives
    • I'm not gonna type all these out, but keep everything that's already archived under the Archives, with the exception of the Deletion Archive, which should be either deleted or archived. The forums have a built in garbage can now anyway, and we're long past the dramatic need for a paper trail that sparked its creation.

Ditch the other features (front page, portal, blogs, gallery, shoutbox, etc) if we aren't using them. Oh, and add a ReCaptcha plugin. That, along with streamlining the forums (and maybe cleaning up the pinned topics everywhere too) will give us a solid base to build on, and encourage new members to stay awhile and give us some fresh air.

*Best analogy since "SeeD is a boot"?

#9 User is offline   x.. Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

Great post Phi.

"Idea- Take away all forums, and merge into one big forum. Call it 'The Forum'." -ticktockclok

:P

Ditch the other features (front page, portal, blogs, gallery, shoutbox, etc) if we aren't using them. Oh, and add a ReCaptcha plugin. That, along with streamlining the forums (and maybe cleaning up the pinned topics everywhere too) will give us a solid base to build on, and encourage new members to stay awhile and give us some fresh air.

I can say that ReCaptcha really won't help. In fact, these forums already have a ReCaptcha on the Registration page, and look at how much good it is doing. Spammers find it very easy to solve ReCaptcha, there are Optical Character Recognition programs which can do it for you with slightly less accuracy or there are certain places on the internet where you can pay sweatshops a very small amount to solve thousands of captchas. I can personally only read 1/3 of every ReCaptcha I see, so they are very annoying for legitimate users. CAPTCHA is becoming outdated and pointless.

The most common approaches, which are generally less annoying for humans to deal with and harder for bots to deal with are these:

* Image puzzle - This uses quite advanced Javascript, and is usually just a last resort if all of the other methods fail. Basically, you are given a bunch of images on registration and have to align them to form one big image. Another way of doing this is just giving 4 random clipart images and having the user click on the one that is (for example) a bridge.

* Fruit - You're given a fruit's name and have to enter its full colour. (image of a banana, user must enter "yellow" or they will not be allowed to join)

* Simple maths - Give the answer to something like 2 + 3 that is picked randomly on registration. This is very common at the moment and visually impaired people can still answer the question.

* Spam blacklist - Probably the most effective method. Stops IP Addresses which have spammed other forums from spamming this forum.

* Post approval - I'm a moderator on another forum which uses this and it works very well. Usually used in conjunction with some of the above. There is one forum - usually titled "Introductions" which is the only forum that new members can post in, every post is by default invisible and has to be approved by a moderator. Once it has been approved then they can post elsewhere.

We really need to upgrade to the latest IP Board, too. It has a few neat new features (like a more functional Mobile skin) and is probably less vulnerable to SQL injection and other exploits. The status system needs to be disabled, because it's really only used by spambots and as a shoutbox replacement.

Also, DoA is not dead yet for one reason: the sexy cape.

Arcade. Like the jokes, it's content, but it's no more than a diversion. At least with the "Portal" setup the arcade was integrated, we had a fun sense of competition, etc.

This was ruined towards the end when me and Ratty started faking scores to get to the top. :P

#10 User is offline   Phieta Icon

• Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

In fact, these forums already have a ReCaptcha on the Registration page, and look at how much good it is doing.

...We do? :(

I'd love to see the spam blacklist set up, as well as an approval system. Hopefully new members would be posting an introduction anyway, so it wouldn't be an inconvenience. (Then again, I know there are plenty of forums where "I registered just to comment on this," and plenty of communities I hesitated posting a formal introduction to.) Have you guys run into issues with human spammers posting a "normal" introduction to get approved, then spamming once they were let in?

I think the "status" system falls under "portal and everything" :P

And DoA does have an awesome cape, doesn't it?

#11 User is offline   x.. Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

View PostPhieta, on 11 November 2011 - 09:26 AM, said:

In fact, these forums already have a ReCaptcha on the Registration page, and look at how much good it is doing.

...We do? :(

I'd love to see the spam blacklist set up, as well as an approval system. Hopefully new members would be posting an introduction anyway, so it wouldn't be an inconvenience. (Then again, I know there are plenty of forums where "I registered just to comment on this," and plenty of communities I hesitated posting a formal introduction to.) Have you guys run into issues with human spammers posting a "normal" introduction to get approved, then spamming once they were let in?

I think the "status" system falls under "portal and everything" :P

And DoA does have an awesome cape, doesn't it?

We haven't had that problem yet, but the forum is quite new, 20000 posts since June/Julyish. Most of the spam is just hit and run, they post one thread in Introductions then leave. Quite a lot of the spam on CurvedSpace is replies to threads as well - that's a problem that we don't really have. Auto-invisibility for replies to Introductions too?

We had one case where a troll signed up with a normal introduction and started spamming about how much we suck. Does that count? :P

#12 User is offline   Darkness Icon

• CHILDREN!
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

I miss you guys :/

I'm terribly frustrated by C's lack of activity. He does seem to pop in from time to time, and make one of his inspirational speeches, like that message he sent us all some six months ago being like "REBIRTH TIME." But where is he now? WHERE IS HE NOW? I mean, at the least, he could turn over the keys to the kingdom and crown one of you fine fellows full admin (the community admins don't actually have real ACP access right?) so we could try to get SOMETHING done. He's hamstringing us.

Not to say I'll probably ever be active here again. But I miss you guys. :/ We had some good times. Met some good people here.

“In the valley of hope, there is no winter.”

#13 User is offline   Dragonman Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

Yeah, Cspace has always been packrat-y when it comes to the forums, but we're definitely at a point where we no longer need subforums to split up our discussions, because there simply aren't enough topics going on. Our chance at overhauling the place lies on the release of GW2, and possibly Diablo 3. I myself play a lot of Heroes of Newerth, and if I ever get into a fairly active clan there I can try to see if a HoN divison can be set up here. But we can't really do anything if Cspace is inactive. :P
Posted Image

"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."
--K

#14 User is offline   Phieta Icon

• Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:53 AM

/sigh

So, assuming we stay admin-less. What next? Do we keep camp here among the tumbleweeds and creepy hoboes? Have one of us who's actually active set up a backup forum?

#15 User is offline   Cspace Icon

• Previously Cspace
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:12 AM

I actually check here almost every day to make sure that there are no problems. I just haven't said anything because I don't know what to say.

A forum by itself, no matter how it is set up, will not attract new members. The blogs and galleries were intended to make the forums better, but again, forums won't attract new members.

What worked was our community, and I tried to support it with CurvedSpace. Guilds drove our community until we stopped recruiting. That's our only real problem. If a few of us work together at recruiting, we'll have an active guild again. It's really not that hard, but everyone here has heard that many times already. Even now, our situation is much better than it was when SeeD was founded. We're visible, we have experience, we have history, many of us could potentially return, and you know where this tangent is going. We didn't have any of that in the beginning.

I realize that our activity is low, but we can pick it up. I've been waiting until either there was visible interest in a guild, or until I could think of something entirely new to do here. Until then I'm a little reluctant to say anything. I won't ask anyone to play a game or recruit if they don't want to.

---------------------------------

As for the spam, the problem is that a lot of it is posted by humans. There's no simple solution to dealing with it, but when there is more real activity, it won't be quite as visible. It'll also be easier to handle.

Lastly, regarding the number of forums, it's not really necessary to archive so many of them. Even when SeeD was new, we had a good number of forums. It's organization for when we grow. We don't need unnecessary sub-forums, such as those that used to be in the guild forums, but most of those are cleaned up anyway.

In the Bridge, I'd rather Announcements stay as it is. It's easy for members to post announcements there, which is the purpose of that forum. The Event Board is still there so, if a member wants to start something, it'll be right at the top without competing with threads in Announcements. The Introductions forum is good for welcoming new members. Lastly, the Lobby has a specific purpose, and does not really need to be active in order to fulfill it.

I don't think anybody has a problem with the Stuff Category.

The Guilds category just has SeeD and DoA. I intentionally left SeeD there as a reminder, and to remain open if anyone returns who wants to lead it. When we start to grow, it is likely to be archived if it remains ignored. DoA is there because the guild is not dead.

In the Gaming & Entertainment category, we have a gaming forum and a miscellaneous forum. We used to have more. I don't mention Clan Advertising because it's not really there for discussions, and it won't be archived at the moment.

In the Intellectual Forums, the Geek Farm might be archived. I'd rather not archive the Trivia Forum because trivia can be fun, and it doesn't require many active threads to be worthwhile. The Creativity Corner has a specific purpose, for members to show off things that they do. The Debate Forum might be archived, but not right now.

DarkStorm needs serious work, but I don't want the category to vanish at the moment.

I understand that dead forums don't look good, but we really don't have a lot of them. It's obvious that we aren't very active (regardless of the number of forums), though the organization of the forums also displays that we intend to grow. Some could also generate discussions, such as Trivia, because they provide a framework and reminder for what our community wants to see. When we have more activity, some will also come back to life. Those that don't may be archived, but we should wait to see.

It's true that CurvedSpace won't be the same as it was. It never is, because our community evolves. Rather than think about what we were, we should think about what we can be. A thriving community is not one that merely exists and is active. A thriving community is one that pursues a goal. If we find a goal, and work together to get it, then we'll become active again.

So what do we want to do?
Posted Image

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users