• You cannot reply to this topic

Impressions of GW2

#16 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Rylkan {lang:icon}

• Dirty Panda
  • Icon
  • {lang:view_gallery}
  • Group: Global Admin

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

So, I was reading up on pets, and I think I may have spoke too soon. (I realize we're all just throwing thoughts at the wall and seeing what sticks right now.)

Since there are a number of different pet types, it seems that you can get some that are ranged, and each has a variety of skills. You can also swap pets. So while the animal I used was ill-suited to the areas we were in, it is far too early to knock the system. For example, I could use a ranged Black Widow spider and just keep poisoning and weakening them from afar.

I am suddenly a lot more comfortable with the idea of rangers. :)
#: ssh God@Heaven.org
Password: CurvedSpace
/God> rm *

The BEST error message ever: "Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive."

#17 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Ariana {lang:icon}

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Member

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

You do make a great Ranger, I always envied the Rangers I met along the way. I noticed a lot of level 10 Rangers in level 20 areas doing a good job with their pets. In fact, the most "out of place" leveled characters I found in high level areas were Rangers by far. True survivors. :)

I want a pet too. Apparently, an Elementalist is allowed to have a pet that does elemental damage:
Fire Elemental: deals damage.
Ice Elemental: deals damage and heals.
Earth Elemental: deals damage and is hard to kill.
Air Elemental: deals damage and stuns

Do you guys think we should separate the GW2 posts from the GW1 posts in some organized fashion? I'm thinking as time progresses it can be a bit messy... and Mum's always like to clean up messes. :)

:glomp Tanny:

#18 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Goto {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • Group: Global Moderator

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:21 AM

Oh, I did a little bit of research into that bonus exp thing. Apparently it's probably related to how long that enemy has been alive, so that you get more benefit for exploring and killing than for just grinding the same area over and over. Which would explain why I couldn't seem to find a pattern to it.

#19 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Rylkan {lang:icon}

• Dirty Panda
  • Icon

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:23 AM

Interesting. I wonder how that is done, because I could see that being exploited a bit. Lets say you go into your instance quests, and just sit idle for awhile. I know in the long run, an extra 100 exp won't mean much, but for some reason the idea popped into my head.
/God> rm *

#20 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Rylkan {lang:icon}

• Dirty Panda
  • Icon

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:27 AM

{lang:macro__view_post}Ariana, on 09 May 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

You do make a great Ranger, I always envied the Rangers I met along the way. I noticed a lot of level 10 Rangers in level 20 areas doing a good job with their pets. In fact, the most "out of place" leveled characters I found in high level areas were Rangers by far. True survivors. :)

I want a pet too. Apparently, an Elementalist is allowed to have a pet that does elemental damage:
Fire Elemental: deals damage.
Ice Elemental: deals damage and heals.
Earth Elemental: deals damage and is hard to kill.
Air Elemental: deals damage and stuns

Do you guys think we should separate the GW2 posts from the GW1 posts in some organized fashion? I'm thinking as time progresses it can be a bit messy... and Mum's always like to clean up messes. :)

:glomp Tanny:

Awww, thanks. :) I have always loved playing Rangers, so I can't wait to explore them fully here. They do seem to be well equipped to survival, though. They have the medium armor, and we can get extra endurance to help the dodging. Also a bunch of traps and knockback skills. I think it all just ties into what Goto said before, later on in harder areas, you'll see how the need for strategy arises. I'm curious to see what becomes the best combination of players and skills for each class.

And I can try and see about making a GW2 forum with Cspace if we are agreed on it. Might be a good time to finally do that.
/God> rm *

#21 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Goto {lang:icon}

• Icon
  • {lang:view_blog}
  • Group: Global Moderator

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:28 AM

I imagine the time period necessary is probably much longer than if you just earnt exp another way, especially since I imagine instance quest enemies are first generated when you start it. Important to make sure the mechanic isn't abusable, but exp from kills is a minor enough part of levelling that I'm not too worried about it.

#22 {lang:macro__useroffline}   Ariana {lang:icon}

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Member

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

For some reason I thought that they also tied in a record: You killed 20 centaurs today! You probably won't get much exp from continuing your killing of Centaurs. There's probably a cap. So you move to kill some Bandits or some more different centaurs... and get more exp.

They do have that daily achievement thing, I always assumed it was based on a similar system. :)

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users